Fantasy_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Fantasy_Gamer
Member since 2004 • 14159 Posts

I liked both Finla Fantasy X and it's sequel, Final Fantasy X-2, but I think, X is far superior to X-2.

I liked Final Fantasy XIII, but I am not as appreciative of it as compared to the earlier games before it. For some reasons, I felt I'm not in the Final Fantasy universe. Now, I am hoping Final Fantasy XIII-2 can redeem it for me. With the addition of moogles and refinement in the battle system, I am more hopeful that it will be better in every way.

What about you? 

SQUALL20XX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 SQUALL20XX
Member since 2005 • 6063 Posts

In many ways FFX is better than FFX-2, video games are, by their very nature, iterative. They are constantly being revised, updated and broken down to their core parts in order to build it all back up again. In a great many ways, it's just LEGOs with software. Some things are salvaged, some things are completely given up and others are refined.

Regardless, often enough, these changes are inevitably brought to bear in a sequel. And after that, they go through the whole process again before yet another sequel.

It should come as no surprise then that with all of these changes and updates that some sequels can tend to be better than their original counterparts. This even includes some of those games that many might consider classics. Sure, some might call that blasphemy but the fact of the matter is that some sequels just are better than the originals.

And from the look of it, FFXIII-2 looking better than FFXIII, here's the last trailer from PAX Prime 2011 coverage :).

Aeolusfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Aeolusfox
Member since 2011 • 75 Posts
People tend to prefer the original to the sequel/prequel/remake....unless we're talking Chrono Trigger, 'cause it seems most people like Chrono Cross over it.
SQUALL20XX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SQUALL20XX
I myself will never play a game if I don't play the original first, whether the original is better than the sequel/prequel/remake it's totally depend on the quality of the game.
JensonHurasha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 JensonHurasha
Member since 2010 • 829 Posts

People tend to prefer the original to the sequel/prequel/remake....unless we're talking Chrono Trigger, 'cause it seems most people like Chrono Cross over it.Aeolusfox

I have never heard of anyone that likes Chrono Cross more than Chrono Trigger.

Aeolusfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Aeolusfox

[QUOTE="Aeolusfox"]People tend to prefer the original to the sequel/prequel/remake....unless we're talking Chrono Trigger, 'cause it seems most people like Chrono Cross over it.JensonHurasha

You don't know a lot of people, huh? Poor guy. :(

JensonHurasha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 JensonHurasha
[QUOTE="JensonHurasha"]

[QUOTE="Aeolusfox"]People tend to prefer the original to the sequel/prequel/remake....unless we're talking Chrono Trigger, 'cause it seems most people like Chrono Cross over it.Aeolusfox

You don't know a lot of people, huh? Poor guy. :(

I know plenty of people and they know that Chrono Trigger is the superior game of the two.

SQUALL20XX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SQUALL20XX

If we are going to discuss Chrono Cross/Trigger let's use the non-FF thread :).

There's no rule to determine which should be better, but like I've said, sequels tend to be better due to the changes and updates developers add to the game, but companies usually focus more on the original game.

Aeolusfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Aeolusfox
Sequels? I think you're talking about remakes. No way in hell do sequels tend to be better than the original game.
SQUALL20XX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SQUALL20XX
Yeah I'm talking about some sequels, and you can read my first post regarding this.
Aeolusfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Aeolusfox
In your last post, you said 'sequels tend to be better than the originals'. You didn't say, 'some sequels'. You might want to fix that.
SQUALL20XX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SQUALL20XX

Very true, I meant it but didn't wrote it, will do now :).

Avatar image for Lightning__Evil
Lightning__Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#13 Lightning__Evil
Member since 2010 • 4483 Posts

I liked XIII and I hope XIII-2 is good too. I wish the characters from the first were more involved though. I want to be Lightning all the time again. Also, the only other XIII party member seen in trailers is Hope so far. Noel's voice actor sounds really familiar. If anyone knows who it is please let me know.

Some sequels are better then the original. Take Mass Effect and Dead Space for instance. In ME I love them both but I find ME2 to be superior and with Dead Space I find the opposite to be true since I prefer the survival driven narrative of the first over the mission driven one of the second.

@Aeolusfox: Are you mag or somehow related to mag, cause you talk alot like her just less insulting/agressive; plus you are using zidane same as mag, does anyone else notice this? 

DreadDLordD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DreadDLordD
Member since 2005 • 2413 Posts
Gameplay wise, there may be further exploration but it's battle system is still the same at its core. XIII-2 probably won't be as amazing as we make it to be.

Regarding this mag relation Lightning. Is it your thinking or feeling that's telling you this?
Aeolusfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Aeolusfox
What does mag mean?
Lightning__Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Lightning__Evil

I think its more thinking honestly. Aeolusfox is a newer member to gamespot, atleast as far as I can tell based off the level and posts go. Mag got banned in what, June or July so honestly its possible that mag made another account. Plus they both have a zidane icon and looking at the post from aeolusfox before my last comment, that looks like something that mag would say with the whole you might want to fix that kinda thing, that sounds alot like mag. But now aeolusfox says what does mag mean which leads me to believe that either this is mag and doesn't want to acknowledge her previous account or this is someone who honestly has no idea what I'm talking about and if that is the case I appologize, Aeolusfox.

Also, don't tell me she couldn't make a new account, cause unless they can block your IP address or something, I've had like 7 accounts on gamespot so it wouldn't be that hard for mag to make a new one after she got banned. 

DreadDLordD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DreadDLordD
Once you're banned you're practically walking on thin ice. If GS find out your original identity then they'll go right ahead and ban your current account regardless whether your IP address is different.

Nevertheless, both of your speculations are possible but I wouldn't want to make any assumptions since it wouldn't benefit either parties.
Aeolusfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Aeolusfox
Oh, you're talking about a person. Okay. Nah. I've had two GS accounts before (I just let them die out) but I never had one called mag.
SQUALL20XX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SQUALL20XX

Well FFXIII got 8.5 by GameSpot, hope XIII-2 get something between 8.5 and 9 at least.

#Lightning__Evil - mag? You mean magitekk? kinda suspicious, but whomever he/she is welcome :).

Amnesiac23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 2

#20 Amnesiac23
Member since 2006 • 8470 Posts

I think its more thinking honestly. Aeolusfox is a newer member to gamespot, atleast as far as I can tell based off the level and posts go. Mag got banned in what, June or July so honestly its possible that mag made another account. Plus they both have a zidane icon and looking at the post from aeolusfox before my last comment, that looks like something that mag would say with the whole you might want to fix that kinda thing, that sounds alot like mag. But now aeolusfox says what does mag mean which leads me to believe that either this is mag and doesn't want to acknowledge her previous account or this is someone who honestly has no idea what I'm talking about and if that is the case I appologize, Aeolusfox.

Also, don't tell me she couldn't make a new account, cause unless they can block your IP address or something, I've had like 7 accounts on gamespot so it wouldn't be that hard for mag to make a new one after she got banned. 

Lightning__Evil
Sorry to continue to be off subject but I wanted to thank you for your smart thinking. That account was indeed magitekk.  
Fantasy_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Fantasy_Gamer

@magitekk: Aww... Magi, you haven't forgotten about FFE, do you?

@Amnesiac: I hope you won't ban her. :P 

SQUALL20XX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SQUALL20XX
Back on topic, I think XIII-2 gonna get a 8.5 at least (by GS).
JensonHurasha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 JensonHurasha

Back on topic, I think XIII-2 gonna get a 8.5 at least (by GS).SQUALL20XX

I wouldn't doubt it.

SQUALL20XX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SQUALL20XX
It's been a while since a FF game got 9.5 (by GS) :/ only two games went this high, VII and VIII.
Fantasy_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Fantasy_Gamer
Yeah. It's harder for games to get high scores nowadays unless they offer something innovative.
Amnesiac23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 2

#26 Amnesiac23
Member since 2006 • 8470 Posts
To me, reviews are there to help the consumer make a good decision, so I'm not too big on scores. I just like to know what it is I'm about to get myself into before purchasing a game. With FF, it's honestly the one series that no matter what reviews say, I will always purchase a major release (except for the MMOs). I doubt FFXIII-2 is going to be hugely innovative, but so long as there are no major flaws in the gameplay I will be buying it.
CMakaCreative

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 CMakaCreative
Member since 2004 • 2107 Posts

I want to say that it's safe to assume that XIII-2 can't be worst than XIII. Whether it's better, only time will tell plus it depends on the individual playing it. I had no major problems with XIII. Yeah, it was linear...no traditional towns and NCP's to talk to. Story was kinda so-so. But for some reason, I didn't mind the hand holding the game gave me. Straight forward, fight, cut scene. After playing all these sandbox games where I gotta travel every inch to get everything...it was a nice change of pace for me personally. Of course, others didn't find it as refreshing as I did. The same can be applied to XIII-2. I hear they are going to open up the game so it's not so A to B. Some towns & NCP's will be present this time. So we might be looking at the more polish version of the XIII gameplay. Let's see if the story can glue it all together.

Now with the talk of sequels are usually better than the original, are we talking direct sequels or just sequels in general. Series like FF rarely have direct sequels and the two that I have played (FFIV-the after years & FFX-2)...I liked the original more. Now if you just look at the series as 13 sequels, then the debate will be all over the place. I never played Crono Cross (waiting for it to hit the PSN) but it's hard to think it was better than Crono Trigger. Not because it's not a good game. I don't think I ever heard anything bad about it. I my personal experience, as soon as the word Crono is mentioned, it's usually followed by Trigger. Cross doesn't get as much attention as Trigger does. Maybe in certain circles it does. I'm obviously not part of that circle.

Maybe we can take this discussion to the Non FF discussion board & come up with a list of games where the sequel was better than the original. Someone mentioned ME2 was better than ME1. That's very debateable. I love them both. Maybe ME1 slightly more than ME2 but not by much.

Lightning__Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Lightning__Evil

XIII-2 should be much more interesting to play with the time travel they've put into the game. I'm sure by now you all know that Noel has come back from a post-apocalyptic future in order to change the past and save the future. Given that he and Serah can use this device to travel back and forward in time by hundreds of years at will and this can be done for the same time period several times, I think that will offer more exploratory, non-linear features to the game. Not to mention this will give the game several possible endings, sounds like it will be good and almost be a combo of FF and Crono Trigger.

Also, as per your ME mention, I think that was me earlier. The first was memorable and it started it off but the controls could be clunky at times and the mako was pretty bad. ME2 refined everything and made it better in my opinion, other then the planet scanning system, that was aweful. 

CMakaCreative

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 CMakaCreative

To tell you the truth...I haven't heard much about the story of XIII-2. Sounds pretty interesting indeed. At this point...anything game that SE makes interest me, I try to not indulge myself with too much info. They take to long to release & I just end up liking like a fiend, scrapping for every morsal of info to hold me down. Now I take it all in stride and try not to get wrapped up in one game.

And for ME & ME2...I agree with you 100%. I think I found the story better in ME1 only cause it was the introduction to such a great franchise. And I played it about 3 times. Even once as a female Shepard. I only went through ME2 once, mainly because I let my older brother borrow my 360 so he can catch up with all the games he missed while he was...."away".

Lightning__Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Lightning__Evil

I normally don't get caught up in the hype or every news feature for FF, but I liked XIII and liked X-2 despite everything so I'm really loofing forward to XIII-2.

As for ME, I think I beat the first 4 times and the 2nd about 7 or 8 times. I actually used a Femshep for the majority of the time :P 

JukedSolid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32 JukedSolid
Member since 2006 • 991 Posts

So..I haven't been on this for about 2 years...college was rough.  Anyways Hi everybody!

I suppose I don't really know what XIII-2 will brings except that I'm wondering if it will be just a fanservice thing like FFX-2 was, or if it will be a genuine, fully thought out sequel.  Given, FFX-2 had a well done combat system that is often underrated so at least the fighting was fun (even if said fighting revolved around changing clothes :D) I'm expecting at least that much from XIII-2.  I have to say FFX was overwhelming the stronger of the two, imho.  Btw...does everybody here already know about how SE is for sure putting out the remake on FFX for PS3?  You probably do since i'm usually slow on getting my SE updates but I didn't see a topic for it so I figured I would ask

JensonHurasha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 JensonHurasha

Yep, Final Fantasy X HD for the PS3 and Vita.

Fantasy_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Fantasy_Gamer

@Juke: Hi there! Welcome back! It's been a while.. ;)

I hope this is more than what FFXIII has accomplished. 

Lightning__Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Lightning__Evil
What about the registered domain name for FFXIII-3, who is ready for a third iteration of XIII.
CMakaCreative

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 CMakaCreative
As long as the overall game gets better as it continues the story, I have no problem with it. Obviously they're in no rush to finish up FFXV.....or Versus.
DreadDLordD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 DreadDLordD
Did any of you see a easter egg of Final Fantasy XXVII in Deus Ex Human Revolution?
cjimrun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38 cjimrun
Member since 2011 • 1255 Posts
FFX-2 = FFX. That's right, I said it. Here's why: FFX story > FFX-2 story (BUT) FFX-2 gameplay > FFX gameplay.
Lightning__Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Lightning__Evil

@CMaka- I didn't even know they were working on FFXV, with all the XIII iterations, versus, and fixing their blunder with FFXIV, I thought they would be to busy.

@Dread- Yes I saw that Easter Egg but Deus Ex is set in what like 2027 or something, I doubt FFXXVII will be out by then.

@cjimrun- I agree that plot was better in X but not sure if I agree with the whole gameplay thing. Yes, the gameplay for X was some what simplistic and it gave you a break so you had more time to decide what to do but I found that kinda a nice change, plus that was my first game and that slower gameplay was a nice entry point. However, the use of what like twenty dresspheres was an interesting way of being varied and complex to make gameplay more interesting, but finding them could be a pain at times and having to upgrade each of them individually was also a drag. 

cjimrun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40 cjimrun
Member since 2011 • 1255 Posts

@cjimrun- I agree that plot was better in X but not sure if I agree with the whole gameplay thing. Yes, the gameplay for X was some what simplistic and it gave you a break so you had more time to decide what to do but I found that kinda a nice change, plus that was my first game and that slower gameplay was a nice entry point. However, the use of what like twenty dresspheres was an interesting way of being varied and complex to make gameplay more interesting, but finding them could be a pain at times and having to upgrade each of them individually was also a drag.

Lightning__Evil

Active-time is a Final Fantasy staple and I find FFX-2 to be particularly quick. Also the ability to chain attacks for damage bonuses is awesome. I'm not crazy about the dresses, but they represent one of the best uses of the job-class system which is another FF stable. Being able to switch jobs in active-time is wicked (after you switch off the long sphere changes in the config menu). Also, being able to walk across most of the map from the beginning of the game is really great. There is just so much to do everywhere with tonnes of mini-games and side-quests. The only thing I like about X's conditional time battles is the ability to gain experience with every character in every fight. I find the slow pace gets boring after a while though and trying to find ways to rotate each character into battle becomes a chore. Plus, the sphere grid is so massive that you could be grinding forever...but there are very few useful places to do it. Basically, most of Spira is a right-off once you finish the main story. The best way I found to grind was running in circles around the Omega Cavern...but that gets old fast too. Blitzball is the only thing I find really fun in X, but just like sphere grid grinding, it goes on forever with no change and very little payout. Bottom line, I think X-2 is way more fun to play...but I firmly believe X has one of, if not THE best story of the entire series. Also, the total cast is a series high and Uematsu's "Zanarkand" is a definite favorite.

Lightning__Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Lightning__Evil
I agree that the story in X is amazing, as far as the design of X I think the thing I most dislike were the costumes. Tidus and Wakka look so ridiculous. Kimari and Aauron didn't look bad cause one was a giant lion and the other was just bad***, the girls were pretty decent but those two were just terrible.
D3dr0_0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 232

#42 D3dr0_0
Member since 2008 • 3530 Posts
FFXHD remaxe>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>FFX-2, FFXIII and maybe FFXIII-2 combined. Then again I really liked FFX a lot.
SQUALL20XX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SQUALL20XX
But why not remaking FFVII and VIII :( maybe until PS4? :)
Lightning__Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Lightning__Evil
Maybe it'll be PS4, I hate the idea that new consoles are coming soon. I'm in college right now and only in my second year, I can't afford to upgrade all my consoles and stay on top of the new games. I'm already trying to find a way to get the new resident evil, final fantasy, mass effect, ssx, and naruto games early next year without breaking the bank. I don't think I have enough now as it is, I need a job. I still need to beat VII and start VIII :P
SQUALL20XX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SQUALL20XX
Yeah I hate the idea that the PS4 and X720 (Or what ever they will call it) is coming in 2012 or 2013, I still don't have a PS3 or X360 :(.
Lightning__Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Lightning__Evil
I just hope that they make them backwards compatible considering only one model of the PS3 was ever backwards compatible with PS2(without hacking), and the backwards compatibility for the 360 doesn't work with ever game. I heard they may not be released until as late as 2015 but given the fact that they are rumored to be announced at E3 2012 and the fact that the Wii U alreasy has a head start as far as official announcement it'll probably be sooner than that.
SQUALL20XX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 SQUALL20XX

2015 suits me, but backwards compatibility consume the consoles, that what a salesman told me when I gave him my broke PS2, it was working fine until I played FF9 on it :/

Lightning__Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Lightning__Evil
Its weird that the PS3 is fully compatable with psx games but not ps2 games :P
SQUALL20XX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 SQUALL20XX

Yeah funny, IMO it's not because the PS3 can't play DVD's, they are still selling the PS2, and by letting us playing PS2 on the PS3 it will be the end of PS2 sales as nobody going to buy separate consoles while they can buy one console doing both things ;).

Lightning__Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Lightning__Evil
That's true, so of course it comes back too money for the companies, but given the fact that they no longer make PS2 games I would think that the demand besides replacements wouldn't be all that high.