Which is the best console for FFs (& other rpgs)?

• 53 results
johngebreadman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 0

#1 johngebreadman
Member since 2007 • 9960 Posts

just wanna know peoples thoughts. voe on what games are coming out, not just what are already out

seeing as the xbox 3go is jst for ppl who like shootrs and driving games i doubt its that.

(I edited the title to make it more related tot his union. ~FG)

DarkAltair89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 DarkAltair89
Member since 2007 • 69 Posts

PS3 no doubts about it. The Wii is just the wrong sort of console for RPGs because of the whole Wii remote and stuff like that. The 360 is more or less used for sports/shooting genre of games and when they attempted an RPG - Blue Dragon, it sucked big time.

So the PS3 will be for me. :)

IpodHero176

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#3 IpodHero176
Member since 2006 • 16952 Posts

I think the 360, since the development kit is a lot easier to work with than the PS3. Also, the consumer is getting their money's worth with the achievements, which will make them want to come back and continue playing it.

MiracleMir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 MiracleMir
Member since 2007 • 192 Posts

I belive the PS3 is the better system. It can pump out better resolutions and the Duel Shock 3 is gonna be somethin special when it comes to mini games and things of that nature.

BenderUnit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#5 BenderUnit22
Member since 2006 • 9597 Posts

I guess if it has to be a current gen console, I'd go with the PS3. Above all, there's Final Fantasy, but also Shirokishi Monogatari, Disgaea 3, Eternal Sonata (next year), Star Ocean 4 and more. At the moment, the 360 has more (bit still very little) RPGs, however since it's not at all popular in Japan, I doubt there'll be a lot of exclusive JRPGs for it in the future, except for Mistwalker productions. As for the Wii, I don't think the control scheme adds a lot to the RPG genre apart from minor gimmicks, so I think the better graphics of the HD consoles, at least to me, will add more to the experience in terms of atmosphere, etc.

But really, PS2 is where it's at.

snake2075

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 snake2075
Member since 2006 • 102 Posts

ps3! fo show!

lol

Chezzanator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 Chezzanator
Member since 2006 • 291 Posts
Is this even debatable? 360 FTW!! PS3 has FFXIII? Pfft, big deal! They lost 2 of the greatest FF contributors, Hironobu Sakaguchi &Nobuo Uematsu. Square has not been impressing me so far and 360 has the legend who made all the AWESOME FF games. Sakaguchi and Mistwalker will CRUSH Square-Enix while they all screw up the FF series and others like the Chrono series (Why cancel the Chrono Trigger remake?! WHY?!?!).
Shekb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Shekb
Member since 2005 • 13506 Posts

As stated above, the PS3 will have Star Ocean 4, Eternal Sonata, Disgaea 3 (Wootex!!) , White Knight Story, FFXIII, FFXIII Versus and Metal Gear Solid......I know it's not an RPG but WHATEVEH !!! :P
NWA_31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NWA_31
Member since 2006 • 11922 Posts

Yeah, PS3 is the console to own if you're a RPG fan. :D The Wii should get a fair amount of RPGs as well...

Abgoj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Abgoj
Member since 2005 • 12168 Posts
In the long run, the PS3 will prob have the best RPG's of this gen.
IpodHero176

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 IpodHero176

As stated above, the PS3 will have Star Ocean 4, Eternal Sonata, Disgaea 3 (Wootex!!) , White Knight Story, FFXIII, FFXIII Versus and Metal Gear Solid......I know it's not an RPG but WHATEVEH !!! :PShekb

I don't see why you keep posting Eternal Sonata, because which system got it first?

The 360!!!:P

The rest are ok.

fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 fs_metal
Member since 2005 • 25711 Posts
Who cares as long as the game is good
fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 fs_metal

PS3 no doubts about it. The Wii is just the wrong sort of console for RPGs because of the whole Wii remote and stuff like that. The 360 is more or less used for sports/shooting genre of games and when they attempted an RPG - Blue Dragon, it sucked big time.

DarkAltair89
two words: MAss Effect
southy787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 southy787
Member since 2005 • 14571 Posts
[QUOTE="DarkAltair89"]

fs_metal

8.5 is hardly groundbreaking :?

I agree with DarkAltair, the PS3 has the greatest RPG potential in the long term.

Shekb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Shekb
[QUOTE="DarkAltair89"]

fs_metal

2 words : Disgaea three

At least ten thousand times better AND with more gameplay time
IpodHero176

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 IpodHero176
[QUOTE="fs_metal"][QUOTE="DarkAltair89"]

Shekb

Two words: Lost Odyssey:P

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Yeah, PS3 is the console to own if you're a RPG fan. :D The Wii should get a fair amount of RPGs as well...

NWA_31

yeah, and the Wii also has the virtual console, and the SNES had ALOT of RPG's and all, as well as the NES. ;)

Pamo_Wright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Pamo_Wright
Member since 2007 • 51 Posts

Shekb

Two words: I agree.

: D

fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 fs_metal

Shekb

God no! Mass Effect is made of awesome and win
Shekb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Shekb
[QUOTE="Shekb"][QUOTE="fs_metal"][QUOTE="DarkAltair89"]

fs_metal

Ever played Disgaea ?
Then you don't know nothing :o
IpodHero176

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 IpodHero176
[QUOTE="NWA_31"]

DJ-Lafleur

yeah, and the Wii also has the virtual console, and the SNES had ALOT of RPG's and all, as well as the NES. ;)

But the loading times are so slow, you might as well buy it online than from the VC;)

Avatar image for Cloud_Strife37x
Cloud_Strife37x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22 Cloud_Strife37x
Member since 2007 • 518 Posts
Final Fantasy XII, Final Fantasy XII Versus, Star Ocean 4, White Knight Story, (I've heard) Dark Cloud 3, and probably all the JRPGs are going to the PS3, and thats one of the main reasons I have one. When I first got my PS3 (launch date) I felt left out, seeing as Elder Scrolls was on the 360 and Mass Effect was coming for it. But then ES came out for PS3 and I rejoiced. I had an RPG that could hold me off till the slew of countless level uppers came. Mass Effect saddens me...but I believe I'll forget about it once I beat both FF games..
fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 fs_metal
[QUOTE="fs_metal"][QUOTE="Shekb"][QUOTE="fs_metal"][QUOTE="DarkAltair89"]

Shekb

Ever played Disgaea ?
Then you don't know nothing :o

It's got nothing om Mass Effect dude. Shooter+non linerar RPG with tons of exploration=totally amazing video game
Shekb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Shekb
Infinite amount of gameplay = Bestness
IpodHero176

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 IpodHero176

Infinite amount of gameplay = BestnessShekb

Infinite amount of gameplay= Repetitiveness= Player getting bored of playing.

Pamo_Wright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Pamo_Wright
Member since 2007 • 51 Posts

[QUOTE="Shekb"]Infinite amount of gameplay = BestnessIpodHero176

Well I guess you've never played a Disgaea game, eh?
fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 fs_metal

Never heard of the Elder Scrolls, have ya? It has tons of gameplay. Mopre so tan everything else on the market really. Not repetitive though
ThreeVo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ThreeVo
Member since 2007 • 595 Posts
[QUOTE="Shekb"][QUOTE="fs_metal"][QUOTE="DarkAltair89"]

fs_metal

Mass Efect is absolutley incredible hands down.

Now there really is no strong console for rpgs, u guys have to wait it out for a while

Lets see 360 has Lost oddesy, The last Remnant, Infinite undiscovery (i dont care, anything tri-ace will own) and then some.... mistwalker will only get better im sure of it

PS3 has final fantasy 13 and then some, Kingdome Hearts, The last remnant as well, and other strong support from SE

Wii is the only one right now that lacks the strong future library of rpgs

IpodHero176

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 IpodHero176
[QUOTE="IpodHero176"]

[QUOTE="Shekb"]Infinite amount of gameplay = Bestnessfs_metal

Never heard of the Elder Scrolls, have ya? It has tons of gameplay. Mopre so tan everything else on the market really. Not repetitive though

I have Oblivion, and while it has lots of gameplay, it's not very repetitive, since every battle is different from the next.

johngebreadman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 johngebreadman
exactly and neithe rwill disgaea get boring
fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 fs_metal
[QUOTE="fs_metal"][QUOTE="IpodHero176"]

I have Oblivion, and while it has lots of gameplay, it's not very repetitive, since every battle is different from the next.

That's a good thing. THat's a large part of the reason why Oblivion is so damn awesome
NeoGen85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 NeoGen85
Member since 2003 • 4270 Posts

I can't really say anything for sure. Square Enix has lost a lot of talent recently. You look at the Playstation 3 and it's technology. I am pretty sure that there is going to be one or two RPGs within the next 3 years that could possibly be a must play on the Playstation 3. But the Wii has potential as well. Good Lord. The person who said the Wii had no chance at landing a good RPG deserves to be dipped in the Lifestream and remain comatose...forever!

I say this because Matsuno met with Nintendo and is now working on a undisclosed project which is rumored to be a RPG for the Wii. Nintendo came to Matsuno expressing interest in him creating a RPG that'll gain a fanbase much like Final Fantasy. Sakaguchi is full of potential even after Blue Dragon. Both men who had influence at Square Enix could possibly creat a great RPG for a console other then the PS3.

But with the rise of the Western market in Europe and North America you'll probably see more critically acclaimed roleplaying games on the Xbox 360. I honestly do not have hopes in the Japanese market with only a few acceptions. My decision isn't based on linear vs non-linear design(or a wholesome vs mature themes); but true quality and originality. I am looking forward to White Knight Story because it looks refreshing compared to some of your other RPG franchise trying to make it's way back into the market again out of Japan. Not to mention it's a new franchise.

Just like fs_metal said; Mass Effect is a good RPG, and it will probably be a memoriable one for a long time. I have just begun to play it, and the possibilities so far are endless. The game is a cinematic experience, and will probably be one of the few rare must-play RPG this generation. The reviews have been consistent and high even though Gamespot's score is indeed a surprise.

notaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 notaco
Member since 2007 • 34 Posts
I'd say currently if you wanted to buy a console for RPGs RIGHT NOW, Xbox 360 is the way to go. Mass Effect just blows anything the PS3 has out currently out of the water; however, if you think long term I think PS3 will come out ahead. With the plethora of SE titles sure to come over the years as well as many other franchises, it'd be hard to imagine anything else competing really.
NeoGen85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 NeoGen85

I'd say currently if you wanted to buy a console for RPGs RIGHT NOW, Xbox 360 is the way to go. Mass Effect just blows anything the PS3 has out currently out of the water; however, if you think long term I think PS3 will come out ahead. With the plethora of SE titles sure to come over the years as well as many other franchises, it'd be hard to imagine anything else competing really.notaco

I would say if you're a hardcore RPG fan who wants to play "every" potential RPG(including the bad ones) the Playstation franchise will probably continue to be the system for roleplaying games especially if you prefer the Japanese art style and what not. I think Microsoft is going to have a fairly decent amount of roleplaying games coming from Japan. The Xbox 360 already has Lost Odyssey, and two new Square Enix RPGs for next year. But also you'll be getting support from other developers in the United States, Canada, Europe, Australia, and more who has interest in creating RPGs. I like having the options in playing styles. Considering that Lost Odyssey, Fallout 3, The ElderScrollsand even Mass Effect are all very different roleplaying games with a unique style.

fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 fs_metal

I can't really say anything for sure. Square Enix has lost a lot of talent recently. You look at the Playstation 3 and it's technology. I am pretty sure that there is going to be one or two RPGs within the next 3 years that could possibly be a must play on the Playstation 3. But the Wii has potential as well. Good Lord. The person who said the Wii had no chance at landing a good RPG deserves to be dipped in the Lifestream and remain comatose...forever!

I say this because Matsuno met with Nintendo and is now working on a undisclosed project which is rumored to be a RPG for the Wii. Nintendo came to Matsuno expressing interest in him creating a RPG that'll gain a fanbase much like Final Fantasy. Sakaguchi is full of potential even after Blue Dragon. Both men who had influence at Square Enix could possibly creat a great RPG for a console other then the PS3.

But with the rise of the Western market in Europe and North America you'll probably see more critically acclaimed roleplaying games on the Xbox 360. I honestly do not have hopes in the Japanese market with only a few acceptions. My decision isn't based on linear vs non-linear design(or a wholesome vs mature themes); but true quality and originality. I am looking forward to White Knight Story because it looks refreshing compared to some of your other RPG franchise trying to make it's way back into the market again out of Japan. Not to mention it's a new franchise.

Just like fs_metal said; Mass Effect is a good RPG, and it will probably be a memoriable one for a long time. I have just begun to play it, and the possibilities so far are endless. The game is a cinematic experience, and will probably be one of the few rare must-play RPG this generation. The reviews have been consistent and high even though Gamespot's score is indeed a surprise.

NeoGen85

Sakaguchi had moire than just influence over SE. Square wouldn't exist without him. Neither would Final Fantasy

I understand what you are saying about the JRPG market, and I must admit that MAss Effect is/was my number one most inticipated game. The Witcher just got released and it looks cool as hell. Fallout 3. Just.......Fallout 3 damn it.

I don't own a 360 yet. I want my Mass Effect

IpodHero176

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 IpodHero176

Sakaguchi had moire than just influence over SE. Square wouldn't exist without him. Neither would Final Fantasy

I understand what you are saying about the JRPG market, and I must admit that MAss Effect is/was my number one most inticipated game. The Witcher just got released and it looks cool as hell. Fallout 3. Just.......Fallout 3 damn it.

fs_metal

I have a 360, and Mass Effect is #1 on my Xmas list.

I have to agree with the JRPG market. I think the devs will make more original 360 games, which I'm all for.

fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 fs_metal
I just want more originality in JRPGS. Give me more unique things like Folklore and FFXII, not the same thing I have played a million times over
TaCoDuDe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38 TaCoDuDe
Member since 2006 • 3239 Posts
[QUOTE="NeoGen85"]

fs_metal

I feel the same way. Even though Im not sure I trust Bethesda with Fallout 3, especially after Oblivion.

fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 fs_metal
Oblivion was incredible dude.
Shekb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Shekb
[QUOTE="fs_metal"]

IpodHero176

I have a 360, and Mass Effect is #1 on my Xmas list.

I have to agree with the JRPG market. I think the devs will make more original 360 games, which I'm all for.

I am waiting for a PS3 port
I WANT A PS3 PORT OF THIS GAME!!!
fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 fs_metal
The likelyhood of that happening is extremely low. Get a 360
TaCoDuDe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 TaCoDuDe

Oblivion was incredible dude.fs_metal

I thought it was a good game, but I also found it to be a huge dissapointment coming from Morrowind. It felt like one step forward, and two steps back. The graphics and combat system were a welcome improvement, but the rest of the game was a downgrade. It wasn't nearly as deep.

Then again, Im an Elder Scrolls purists, so I feel strongly about it.

fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 fs_metal
How wasn't it as deep? I mean. they improved on everyting. Character creation was better. The influence system was better. The world itself was more realistic. Every person within it had their own lives they led, instead of wandering around aimlessly during the day.
NeoGen85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 NeoGen85

How wasn't it as deep? I mean. they improved on everyting. Character creation was better. The influence system was better. The world itself was more realistic. Every person within it had their own lives they led, instead of wandering around aimlessly during the day.fs_metal

The mechanics improved but the storyline itself is what sets Morrowind apart from Oblivion. Especially how the third installment's storyline is entangled with the player and the island of Morrowind. The lore is so distinct in the Elder Scrolls it makes the most common theme feel much more special. I for one never believed that I was the Nerevarine which you only read in books or heard about while playing the game. Ididn't jump into the storyline. I was just doing lesser task, and while doing so I ran across stories regarding Nerevar. Not to mention the local Dumner tribes talking about his return.

I think 10 hours or so into the game I jumped in the main storyline, and I never once thought it was going to be that good(not to mention it made me feel special). I was curious, and so engrossed. I had to find out what it was all leading to especially when it came to the trials and reuniting the Dunmer tribes. Not to mention finding the ring of the Nerevarine which could only be worn by Nerevar. You put the ring on and it doesn't kill you; you're the Nerevarine re-incarnated everyone is talking about(regarding the second coming)! All that was just brilliant.

johngebreadman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 johngebreadman
people also like it because you dont actually have to level up, yu can buy unlimited training
fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 fs_metal

[QUOTE="fs_metal"]How wasn't it as deep? I mean. they improved on everyting. Character creation was better. The influence system was better. The world itself was more realistic. Every person within it had their own lives they led, instead of wandering around aimlessly during the day.NeoGen85

The mechanics improved but the storyline itself is what sets Morrowind apart from Oblivion. Especially how the third installment's storyline is entangled with the player and the island of Morrowind. The lore is so distinct in the Elder Scrolls it makes the most common theme feel much more special. I for one never believed that I was the Nerevarine which you only read in books or heard about while playing the game. Ididn't jump into the storyline. I was just doing lesser task, and while doing so I ran across stories regarding Nerevar. Not to mention the local Dumner tribes talking about his return.

I think 10 hours or so into the game I jumped in the main storyline, and I never once thought it was going to be that good(not to mention it made me feel special). I was curious, and so engrossed. I had to find out what it was all leading to especially when it came to the trials and reuniting the Dunmer tribes. Not to mention finding the ring of the Nerevarine which could only be worn by Nerevar. You put the ring on and it doesn't kill you; you're the Nerevarine re-incarnated everyone is talking about(regarding the second coming)! All that was just brilliant.

Storyline isn't important in the ES series though
TaCoDuDe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 TaCoDuDe
[QUOTE="NeoGen85"]

[QUOTE="fs_metal"]How wasn't it as deep? I mean. they improved on everyting. Character creation was better. The influence system was better. The world itself was more realistic. Every person within it had their own lives they led, instead of wandering around aimlessly during the day.fs_metal

I agree, it's not a main attraction of the ES, but it certainly doesnt hurt a game when it has a good storyline. In Morrowind, you felt like you were the Nerevarine in a world that was yours for the taking. In Oblivion, I felt like I was in an open-world roleplaying videogame. The immersion wasn't there.

And Im not saying that it's not deep. Im saying it's not as deep. Character creation is better? I disagree. You had just as many options in creating your character in Morrowind(except for faces, which I'd argue is superficial anyway), with the addition of being able to choose minor skills. There are more skills in Morrowind. There are more quests in Morrowind. There are more weapon types in Morrowind. There are many more factions in Morrowind.There are even hidden factions that aren't advertised to you. Ever do the Morag Tong quests? Or join one of the three Vampire factions, each with their own questline? Or perform the freeform vampire quests? You are able to build your own stronghold/town/giant mushroom in Morrowind. The environment was much more varied; each section had a very distinct feel to it. There was just plain more to do in Morrowind.

And don't get me started on the so-called "Radiant A.I." of Oblivion. That was a joke. Ok, so they do the same things at the same time every day. These things included sitting down. Drinking. Reading a book. Which are fine I suppose, but not what I would call revolutionary. And the dialogue was the worst. I appreciate the fact that every bit was voice-acted, but Morrowind's conversations still felt more substantial. There were more options available when speaking to someone. And the conversations between NPC's were pathetic, and very repetitive. I'd hate to live in a town where the most ineteresting thing that have the people to say is "I saw a mudcrab the other day".

Oblivion was just a huge dissapointment for me. I justfeel is was oversimplified.

fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 fs_metal
[QUOTE="fs_metal"][QUOTE="NeoGen85"]

[QUOTE="fs_metal"]How wasn't it as deep? I mean. they improved on everyting. Character creation was better. The influence system was better. The world itself was more realistic. Every person within it had their own lives they led, instead of wandering around aimlessly during the day.TaCoDuDe

I agree, it's not a main attraction of the ES, but it certainly doesnt hurt a game when it has a good storyline. In Morrowind, you felt like you were the Nerevarine in a world that was yours for the taking. In Oblivion, I felt like I was in an open-world roleplaying videogame. The immersion wasn't there.

And Im not saying that it's not deep. Im saying it's not as deep. Character creation is better? I disagree. You had just as many options in creating your character in Morrowind(except for faces, which I'd argue is superficial anyway), with the addition of being able to choose minor skills. There are more skills in Morrowind. There are more quests in Morrowind. There are more weapon types in Morrowind. There are many more factions in Morrowind.There are even hidden factions that aren't advertised to you. Ever do the Morag Tong quests? Or join one of the three Vampire factions, each with their own questline? Or perform the freeform vampire quests? You are able to build your own stronghold/town/giant mushroom in Morrowind. The environment was much more varied; each section had a very distinct feel to it. There was just plain more to do in Morrowind.

And don't get me started on the so-called "Radiant A.I." of Oblivion. That was a joke. Ok, so they do the same things at the same time every day. These things included sitting down. Drinking. Reading a book. Which are fine I suppose, but not what I would call revolutionary. And the dialogue was the worst. I appreciate the fact that every bit was voice-acted, but Morrowind's conversations still felt more substantial. There were more options available when speaking to someone. And the conversations between NPC's were pathetic, and very repetitive. I'd hate to live in a town where the most ineteresting thing that have the people to say is "I saw a mudcrab the other day".

Oblivion was just a huge dissapointment for me. I justfeel is was oversimplified.

The immersion was much more there in Oblivion than it was in Morrowind because it felt much more like a real world than Morrowind did
TaCoDuDe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 TaCoDuDe
[QUOTE="TaCoDuDe"][QUOTE="fs_metal"][QUOTE="NeoGen85"]

[QUOTE="fs_metal"]How wasn't it as deep? I mean. they improved on everyting. Character creation was better. The influence system was better. The world itself was more realistic. Every person within it had their own lives they led, instead of wandering around aimlessly during the day.fs_metal

The immersion was much more there in Oblivion than it was in Morrowind because it felt much more like a real world than Morrowind did

Maybe for you, but like said, I was more immersed in Morrowind than I ever was in Oblivion. At thats besides all those other points.

fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 fs_metal
Morrowind wasn't near as real a world as Oblivion was. OBlviioon felt like a living, breathing world