What's your standard for a "good" FF graphics?

Fantasy_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Fantasy_Gamer
Member since 2004 • 14159 Posts

I just want to know what is your standard for you to say, in your opinion, that the graphics of a particular Final Fantasy is something which is "good"? For instance, I particularly appreciate the lego-style presentation of FFVII characters, while others despise it. People say that FFVIII's graphics is superior to FFVII's by a mile, but i see otherwise. Same thing goes to FFX vs. FFXII graphics. FFX focused on sharpness of the graphics while FFXII is more of, well, I don't know how to describe it... So, I'll just say, it's very similar to Vagrant Story's.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

I don't really have a standard. If the enviroments and setting look beautiful are able to catch my attention, that's all I care about.

I would agree that X's graphics were more appealing than XII's.

jamestabang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#3 jamestabang
Member since 2005 • 832 Posts
I like FFVIII's graphics for GF summoning. I prefer FFVIII's atmosphere (gardens, cities) graphics. I prefer FFIX's world map graphics. I prefer FFXII's battle graphics.
johngebreadman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#4 johngebreadman
Member since 2007 • 9960 Posts
there isnt really a standard, because it is always the best that is physically possible at the time
joshi1s3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 joshi1s3
Member since 2006 • 2550 Posts
i can always remember FFXs graphics being amazing. i think there better than FFXIIs by quite some distance. IMO though
southy787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 southy787
Member since 2005 • 14571 Posts
I think the character models of FFVII and FVIII weren't very appealing, they didn't match the crisp, sleek backgrounds and so they felt very out of place. The older games had a cute, colourfulness about them that was lost, but the better quality graphics of FFX onwards have made up for it.
KnightsofRound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#7 KnightsofRound
Member since 2004 • 5819 Posts

The art design and environments in FFX were leaps and bounds ahead of FFXII, but FFXII's character model graphics were way better than the ones in FFX. FFXII also didn't have very good level design either, a lot of the areas were quite generic, and just a bunch of hallways strung together.

On a technicaly level FFVIII IS leaps and bounds ahead of FFVII, but art design is debatable. Personally I thought they were both great and unique in their own way.

As far as standards go, I generally expect Final Fantasy games to have high production values so the technical aspect of the graphics should always be top of the line, and the art design is generally always amazing. Although I like the art design of the 'normal' Final Fantasy games, rather than the Final Fantasy games based in the FFT Ivalice world. That world is not very colorful and gets a little boring to me after a while.

joshi1s3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 joshi1s3
Member since 2006 • 2550 Posts

n't

I think the character models of FFVII and FVIII weren't very appealing, they didn't match the crisp, sleek backgrounds and so they felt very out of place. The older games had a cute, colourfulness about them that was lost, but the better quality graphics of FFX onwards have made up for it.southy787

I would say that aswell. i dont think the PS1 had the capability to display characters in FFVII or VIII even though the backrounds were amazing. I think it was still a problem in FFX to lesser effect. hopefully it will be soughted for the PS3 Releases(Which look immense).

EmperorZeruel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 EmperorZeruel
Member since 2007 • 4207 Posts
one good thing about final fantasy is the graphics i have high standards for final fantasys graphics.
sneeper88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 sneeper88
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
I dont really have a standard. Though i would have to pick FF-X and the best so far.
mgirllovescats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mgirllovescats
Member since 2007 • 34 Posts
I think the graphics should be of high quality nowadays, with next-gen stuff going on. I loved the graphics of FF 7 AC and the trailers of FF13 and versus 13. Although, I'm good, as long it's not like the sprites of older games (i loved it in that time, though).
ninjamerican

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ninjamerican
Member since 2007 • 58 Posts
Every Final Fantasy has had a different style of graphics. I like X's style the best though. Also from what I have seen from XIII and Versus XIII, well, YEAH!
johngebreadman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 johngebreadman
x , x-2 and 8 have the best graphics
braindead_hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#14 braindead_hero
Member since 2004 • 1174 Posts
For me a Final Fantasy game has to push the limits of the system, and make me think, wow, it's so beautiful.
MiracleMir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MiracleMir
Member since 2007 • 192 Posts
The graphics have to be stunning nowadays not just because of the power of the next gen consoles to render amazing graphics but also because lets face it, its a RPG. There really isnt any great amount of control of the charecter that your using, you just press x and he swings his sword and on to the next charecter. At least make it look pretty. It would be nice IMO to see a little more ability to manipulate what kind of attacks you use incorporating different buttons. I know they've done this with Sabin's "specials"(cant remember what there called) but id like to see entire battles with even deeper controls. Of course that might not even make it a RPG anymore...
Brad1821

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Brad1821
Member since 2005 • 181 Posts

I got FFVIII pretty soon after getting my PS1 and i played a few games but i remember being blown away by FFVIII's graphics(seriously i fell off my chair):)anyway FFVII was quite good for it's time(i played them in this order VIII, VII, IX) and IX was ok, actually i didn't think the world was very good compared with VIII(but that"s just me). and then came FFX which i thought was just Amazing, Character models and cut scenes were beautiful. so FFX set the standard for me( didn't like XII so much, the world wasn't as....pretty:roll:

but i have always been more interested in a good (long)story, so if graphics had to take a SLIGHT back seat i wouldn't have any problems.

PS: if my emoticon usage annoys you guy's just let me know and i will stop:!

JQGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JQGamer
Member since 2008 • 59 Posts
They all had good graphics for there time.
snipasr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 snipasr
Member since 2007 • 32 Posts

Heres what I think.

7 did have good graphics (of course I mean for its time) and even though I though that the "graphics" in 8 were superior I still loved the look of 7. Its not so much "what has the best graphics" but "how are the graphics stylized/ what is the art direction"

You see... 10 had beautiful scenery and everything on screen just blew me away visually. I think 12 probably had better graphics to a point but the style of 10 was just so superior . Dont get me wrong now... I LOVED 12... and 10 obviously.

But I guess it comes down the the feeling you get when you look at the imagery.

See even though Crysis has dominated every other game in the graphics department... I still think other games like bioshock (which still has great graphics) or FFX look better.

"eye of the beholder" for sure

Thats just my take

Brad1821

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Brad1821

i agree with you dude, and now we have XIII which looks to have a more futuristic looking world. and with the PS3's power it'll be interesting to see what people think of it. it seems to me that people are divided over FFXII a lot didn't like it, i couldn't get into it like i did with X and i think it was just the look of it.

hey, my 100th post, took long enough but let's see if i can get to 200.....

TeknoBlade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#20 TeknoBlade
Member since 2004 • 158 Posts

I don't like Nomura's artistry. He's the one that did FFIX and FFCC, right? His "unique" visions of characters always look childish and stupid to me. I like the realistic-looking graphics and SNES character sprites, I just don't think he should amalgamate the two.

Fantasy_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Fantasy_Gamer

I don't like Nomura's artistry. He's the one that did FFIX and FFCC, right? His "unique" visions of characters always look childish and stupid to me. I like the realistic-looking graphics and SNES character sprites, I just don't think he should amalgamate the two.

BladeCUBED

No. Tetsuya Nomura, iirc, did not work for the graphics of FF9 (or for FF9 itself, iirc). Y. Amano did the image illustration and hideo minaba is the art director. Well, we can say it is Amano who designed the characters of FF9. As for FFCC (the frist one), meh, Nomura won't make characters like those in the game.

Nomura did FF7, FF8, FFX, FFX-2, FF12. FF13, FFVs13. (i'm not sure about Agito 13).

Avatar image for xXLostCaptainXx
xXLostCaptainXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 xXLostCaptainXx
Member since 2008 • 71 Posts
To me FFVII had the best graphics even better than FFXII! I just love its classic look. Also FFVII is the best Final Fantasy game ever made anyone can tell you that!!! :D Course I Am the Biggest FFVII Fan you can find go ahead ask me any question! 8)
Brad1821

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Brad1821
I always like a futuristic look, more so than the look of XII or IX. to me VII was still pretty good and probebly my third fav.
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DJ-Lafleur

Heres what I think.

7 did have good graphics (of course I mean for its time) and even though I though that the "graphics" in 8 were superior I still loved the look of 7. Its not so much "what has the best graphics" but "how are the graphics stylized/ what is the art direction"

You see... 10 had beautiful scenery and everything on screen just blew me away visually. I think 12 probably had better graphics to a point but the style of 10 was just so superior . Dont get me wrong now... I LOVED 12... and 10 obviously.

But I guess it comes down the the feeling you get when you look at the imagery.

See even though Crysis has dominated every other game in the graphics department... I still think other games like bioshock (which still has great graphics) or FFX look better.

"eye of the beholder" for sure

Thats just my take

snipasr

I agree with you. FFX looked better than XII to me. X's was more appealing to my sight, and the enviroments and atmosphere just felt more nicer and pleasurable.

johngebreadman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 johngebreadman
lots of people liked the look of rabanastre., give me besaid any day
ThreeVo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ThreeVo
Member since 2007 • 595 Posts

To me FFVII had the best graphics even better than FFXII! I just love its classic look. Also FFVII is the best Final Fantasy game ever made anyone can tell you that!!! :D Course I Am the Biggest FFVII Fan you can find go ahead ask me any question! 8)xXLostCaptainXx
That is very unfortunate for u... let me help u rephrase that. " also FFVII is MY favorite final fantasy game, and that has nothing to do with this thread, and im just trying to let it be known, dispite most strong ff gamers who play and respect all of them proabably know just about as much on ff7 if not more than i do, but it doesnt matter cause i have a cloud strife forum avatar from AC"

With no disrespect really, you are not the only one.. plenty of us here have delved deep into ff7s nooks and cranies, i sure have, back in 1997-98. But none of us gloat about ff7.. its final fantasy nothing more, nothing less...

ok then.. although this is the internet and anyone can just search online reletivley quick... but i trust youl know the answer to this regardless, its an easy one..... how does one obtain the "usable" masamune blade wepon for cloud? or.. wich particlurly farmable monsters morph into all the neccesary items to max all the players stats?

anyways, i dont have standards for graphics when it comes to video games or at least rpgs that is, i have recently replayed crono trigger and ff 8 and i play ff 5 on my psp when im on the go, so graphics have no say in the matter, this question imo is unfair to ask because graphics are constantly evolving so its difficult to answer.

johngebreadman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 johngebreadman
how did you get ff5 on psp?
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DJ-Lafleur

how did you get ff5 on psp?johngebreadman

Actually, I'm wondering that myself...

Avatar image for deactivated-5ff0d4f5c9395
deactivated-5ff0d4f5c9395

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5ff0d4f5c9395
Member since 2005 • 72 Posts
Here is how I feel about FF graphics. FFX and FFXII were fantastic. FFX is better in my mind because they had their cutscenes in proper places. FFXII decided to put their cutscenes in ridiculously dumb places... like the entrance to each new area. I personally don't care how cool you can make a desert look... it's still a desert. I mean it's a graphically enhanced one but there could of been far better places to put them. FFX placed cutscenes at some of the best possible places to emphasize the story. In my mind, I got attached to FFX more than FFXII because somethings are easier shown by cutscenes rather than text... It's just the way better games are done.
Fantasy_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Fantasy_Gamer

[QUOTE="johngebreadman"]how did you get ff5 on psp?DJ-Lafleur

We call it, "emulator". My friend is also doing it. Funny, he does not play his PSP games... He always plays his emulator games. :P

ThreeVo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ThreeVo
[QUOTE="DJ-Lafleur"]

[QUOTE="johngebreadman"]how did you get ff5 on psp?Fantasy_Gamer

We call it, "emulator". My friend is also doing it. Funny, he does not play his PSP games... He always plays his emulator games. :P

Ya its not that hard..i have an old psp for that reason alone... i carry ff7 8 and vagrant story along with ff5 and BoF4 on mine currently... i have a psp slim for everything new talking about it on here can get the forum topic banned by Gamespot so we should sease talking about hombrewing on the psp lol
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DJ-Lafleur
[QUOTE="Fantasy_Gamer"][QUOTE="DJ-Lafleur"]

[QUOTE="johngebreadman"]how did you get ff5 on psp?ThreeVo

Ya its not that hard..i have an old psp for that reason alone... i carry ff7 8 and vagrant story along with ff5 and BoF4 on mine currently... i have a psp slim for everything new talking about it on here can get the forum topic banned by Gamespot so we should sease talking about hombrewing on the psp lol

Oh! I see! I never knew emulators could be on PSPs. :?

and now since I know, we should indeed stop this discussion.
johngebreadman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 johngebreadman
dammit i wanna know how it works, but i dont want to be banned more
-Phaz-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 -Phaz-
Member since 2006 • 927 Posts

tbh when it comes to RPG's im not fussed with graphics (especially FF) obviously if it does have great graphics then yeah bonus, but anyway 'good' FF graphics, i thought 10 was beautiful, i much prefered it to XII.

IX had very nice graphics, i usually dont like the cartoony look but i thought it looked excellent in IX.

ThreeVo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ThreeVo

tbh when it comes to RPG's im not fussed with graphics (especially FF) obviously if it does have great graphics then yeah bonus, but anyway 'good' FF graphics, i thought 10 was beautiful, i much prefered it to XII.

IX had very nice graphics, i usually dont like the cartoony look but i thought it looked excellent in IX.

-Phaz-

I agree. As i said b4, graphics is really not a fiar attribute to apply when complaring games that have been out from 86-2008 and encounting, they will constantly evolve.

This is more of a discussion of wich final fantasy provided the most attractive enviorment or atmosphere and theme, wich unfortunatley can usually only start with ff7 and up, being as they were the first offical 3d rendered final fantasies,so its much easier to immerse yourslef, not that ff1-6 were not imersive in there own right, but imo thats on another degree.

in this case i can say that its a straight tie between ff7, for its steem punk industrial feel, ff8 for its semi classic style mixed with Advanced technology, idk.... somthing about deling city and its song gets me every time, just like dollet and timber, they had to have gotten some artistic inspiration from the 50s, wich is definetley unique, and lastly, ff10, and i think it goes without saying but ill say it anyways in one word - Besaid.

12 was also appealing to me but it reminded of starwars more often than not, especialy ogre yensing sand sea area lol.

9 as well was nice but for the most part there werent too many unusual atmospheres in it, it pretty much stuck to the tried and true formula of setting, wich threw me off after experiencing 7 & 8 and there flip mode in direction

johngebreadman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 johngebreadman
Right about Besaid When Tidus came to the beach is still my single most memorable gaming memory, just seeing that islanf!
MiracleMir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 MiracleMir
Member since 2007 • 192 Posts
Personally i thought the imagery of FF12 was gorgeous.
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DJ-Lafleur

Personally i thought the imagery of FF12 was gorgeous.MiracleMir

It was nice, but it didn't "wow" me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ff0d4f5c9395
deactivated-5ff0d4f5c9395

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-5ff0d4f5c9395
Member since 2005 • 72 Posts

[QUOTE="MiracleMir"]Personally i thought the imagery of FF12 was gorgeous.DJ-Lafleur

It was nice, but it didn't "wow" me.

They were gorgeous. However, FFXII didn't put a lot of their cutscenes in good places. I don't really care how awesome you make an area... i.e. a desert look... it's still a desert.

Jmah1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#41 Jmah1337
Member since 2007 • 107 Posts
i really dont mind any of the graphics in all the games. i thought they were all very well done. :/ im not much help i guess but i thought they were all nicely finished. from 7-12 i thought they were beautiful. just playing Crisis core i thought it was amazing. the in game graphics were beautiful and for the system it was on it did a good job i guess. square enix does a great job on graphics so theres not much i can say.
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 DJ-Lafleur
Each FF had good graphics around their times. A FF never had bad graphics, if you were to ask me...