Gamer4Iife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Gamer4Iife
Member since 2008 • 6010 Posts

Jack Tretton of SCEA has just announced Square-Enix's next MMO: Final Fantasy XIV for PlayStation 3 only.

Screenshot of FFXIV's logo.

No other details were revealed.

Genesis1812

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Genesis1812
Member since 2008 • 198 Posts
This and the XIII trailer really restored my belief in SE. And I'm happy its exclusive to PS3.
Bauers-Twin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 Bauers-Twin
Member since 2007 • 14150 Posts
MMO = no!!!!!!!!!
CamiKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#4 CamiKitten
Member since 2008 • 1230 Posts

O_O

That was my face when they announced it!! Zomg I'm so excited I could dance around again. But I've made myself dizzy already from the excitement lol.

I'm pretty the said PS3 console exclusive, but I'll need to rewatch and see. Cause if that's the case then PC gamers have a fighting chance still.

D3dr0_0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 232

#5 D3dr0_0
Member since 2008 • 3530 Posts

FF13 is the only FF title I need to worry about, is it true that its a MMO.

Abicus7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Abicus7
Member since 2007 • 2009 Posts
I've been wanting a console MMO... I think SE just answered my prayers.
Avatar image for twilightlullaby
twilightlullaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 twilightlullaby
Member since 2008 • 5143 Posts
Well, I guess this is another game I won't be playing. :x It looks cool though.
CamiKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 CamiKitten

*wheeze wheeze*

Official Site

*wheeze wheeze*

I see mithra!

fffan9391

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 fffan9391
Member since 2007 • 4967 Posts
I don't know why they didn't just make this game part of the Fabula Nova Crystallis FFXIII series instead of a numbered Final Fantasy. It looks to be another failure like FFXI, but I'm still looking forward to it. Unless the subscription fees are rediculous.
NeoGen85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 NeoGen85
Member since 2003 • 4270 Posts

I don't know why they didn't just make this game part of the Fabula Nova Crystallis FFXIII series instead of a numbered Final Fantasy. It looks to be another failure like FFXI, but I'm still looking forward to it. Unless the subscription fees are rediculous.fffan9391

You obviously don't know you MMORPGs. Final Fantasy XI was not a failure. It can safetly sit along side of Everquest and World of Warcraft. It gained good reviews above 80%, and for the longest time held over 500,000 subscribers which EQ was doing at the time. Even games like City of Heroes, Lord of the Rings Online, and even Age of Conan did not have the same dedicated fans seen in Final Fantasy XI. That's one reason why it's still running today.

Of course I had my own beefs with the game, but I can't say I didn't enjoy it. Considering that a MMORPG carrying a consistent active subscription base of 500,000+ over a few years is more then successful. Final Fantasy XI was no way a failure...but only one to the individual eye.

What's unusual about the announcement was that SE said that their next MMORPG was going to be for the Xbox 360, PS3, and PC at first. Then it became a Xbox 360, and PC exclusive. At the end of 2008 Square Enix announced that it would come to the PS3 along side the Xbox 360 and PC. AND NOW...Final Fantasy XIV is a PS3 exclusive with the PC.

I went crazy in my living room after seeing that...hump the floor!

Gamer4Iife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Gamer4Iife

*wheeze wheeze*

Official Site

*wheeze wheeze*

I see mithra!

CamiKitten

Whoa... there's already an official website. :o

NeoGen85

Wait, what? :o

NeoGen85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 NeoGen85

[QUOTE="NeoGen85"]

Gamer4Iife

Wait, what? :o

I'm joking..or am I? Anyway, I was really excited to see it. My sister's boyfriend is so mad, because he uses his Xbox 360 to play FFXI.

fffan9391

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 fffan9391
Member since 2007 • 4967 Posts

[QUOTE="fffan9391"]I don't know why they didn't just make this game part of the Fabula Nova Crystallis FFXIII series instead of a numbered Final Fantasy. It looks to be another failure like FFXI, but I'm still looking forward to it. Unless the subscription fees are rediculous.NeoGen85

You obviously don't know you MMORPGs. Final Fantasy XI was not a failure. It can safetly sit along side of Everquest and World of Warcraft. It gained good reviews above 80%, and for the longest time held over 500,000 subscribers which EQ was doing at the time. Even games like City of Heroes, Lord of the Rings Online, and even Age of Conan did not have the same dedicated fans seen in Final Fantasy XI. That's one reason why it's still running today.

Of course I had my own beefs with the game, but I can't say I didn't enjoy it. Considering that a MMORPG carrying a consistent active subscription base of 500,000+ over a few years is more then successful. Final Fantasy XI was no way a failure...but only one to the individual eye.

What's unusual about the announcement was that SE said that their next MMORPG was going to be for the Xbox 360, PS3, and PC at first. Then it became a Xbox 360, and PC exclusive. At the end of 2008 Square Enix announced that it would come to the PS3 along side the Xbox 360 and PC. AND NOW...Final Fantasy XIV is a PS3 exclusive with the PC.

I was humping the floor too, until I found out it was online. When I said FFXI was a failure, I meant in the eyes of Final Fantasy fans, not overall. Most fans of Final Fantasy, even the leader of our beloved union here, haven't played FFXI. Most people don't consider it a part of the FF series. But I have the highest hopes for this game.

I heared rumors of a Final Fantasy Haeresis XIII, that was supposed to be a MMO. That should have been this game.

Flipyap28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 Flipyap28
Member since 2008 • 3865 Posts
its not PS3 only, SE announced it in its conference...which means I can get it :D
Gamer4Iife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Gamer4Iife

its not PS3 only, SE announced it in its conference...which means I can get it :DFlipyap28

Yeah, they're also considering other platforms, including the Xbox 360. There is hope yet. :P

Redemption420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Redemption420
Member since 2009 • 35 Posts
That's insane how FF13 isn't even out yet, and they have now announced that there's going to be a FF14 online! But I'm thinking of buying the new FF7 PS3 bundle, can anyone tell me if there is a cloud strife emblem on the PS3 in the bundle, or a link to a website that shows it?
Gamer4Iife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Gamer4Iife

That's insane how FF13 isn't even out yet, and they have now announced that there's going to be a FF14 online! But I'm thinking of buying the new FF7 PS3 bundle, can anyone tell me if there is a cloud strife emblem on the PS3 in the bundle, or a link to a website that shows it?Redemption420

That's exactly what happened to FFXIII, now that I think about it. :P

It was announced back in E3 2006, when FFXII wasn't even out.

z827

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 67

#18 z827
Member since 2008 • 4731 Posts
I'm starting to think that SE is getting a bit hasty and very unlike the Soft Square days.In the past they usually just focus on one or two Final Fantasies at a time but now their releasing so many projects at once...their getting over-confident I reckon.Hopefully the products won't be of half-standards.We don't want half standard storyline,the gameplay looks promising I guess but hopefully the gameplay won't be like "un-evolving".Some games place all the good stuff in the front and continuing through the game the gameplay hardly changed at all,that killed alot of games...
NeoGen85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 NeoGen85

I'm starting to think that SE is getting a bit hasty and very unlike the Soft Square days.In the past they usually just focus on one or two Final Fantasies at a time but now their releasing so many projects at once...their getting over-confident I reckon.Hopefully the products won't be of half-standards.We don't want half standard storyline,the gameplay looks promising I guess but hopefully the gameplay won't be like "un-evolving".Some games place all the good stuff in the front and continuing through the game the gameplay hardly changed at all,that killed alot of games...z827

Unlike some of the other development teams at Square Enix like the FF team, and the KH team. Square Enix has a department that furthers their MMO technology; aka the Final Fantasy XI team.This very same team hasn't work on any other game besides Final Fantasy XI since it came out. They did not assist on Final Fantasy XII or Final Fantasy XIII. They're duty is to create a great online experience.

Square Enix is a much larger company today. They also outsource their development of games. The new Front Mission Evolved is being developed by Double Helix Games. Matrix Software created Final Fantasy III and IV on the DS. Not to mention Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days is being developed by h.a.n.d. All those projects are created by companies outside of Square Enix, with SE employees overseeing the process.Tri-Ace being another good example with Star Ocean 4 and Infinite Undiscovery. Not to mention SE could have future plans for Eidos as well.

Now if we're talking about "in-house" development which really matters. Final Fantasy XIII(FF team), Versus XIII(KH/Nomura team), Agito XIII(???), and Final Fantasy XIV(FFXI Team) are all be published and developed by Square Enix. I am not worried at all considering Square Enix is much larger then what Squaresoft and Enix ever was. :D

Gamer4Iife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Gamer4Iife

I am not worried at all considering Square Enix is much larger then what Squaresoft and Enix ever was. :D

NeoGen85

They may be bigger, but you have to admit that their games haven't been nearly as high-quality as back in the Squaresoft/Enix days.

NeoGen85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 NeoGen85
[QUOTE="NeoGen85"]

I am not worried at all considering Square Enix is much larger then what Squaresoft and Enix ever was. :D

Gamer4Iife

They may be bigger, but you have to admit that their games haven't been nearly as high-quality as back in the Squaresoft/Enix days.

I'll agree with you. But the 4 games I mention being developed in-house right now have more ambition. I'm not worried about Final Fantasy XIII, Versus, Agito, or XIV. As far as quality goes in the past, I think diversity plays a big part of it as well. It's been more about Final Fantasy role playing games these years then it was before. Dragon Quest doesn't even get that much attention.

Before Squaresoft created some memorable characters in Musashi, Parasite Eve, Xenogears, SaGa, Vagrant Story, etc, etc(whether they were good or bad games).

Bioshockraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#22 Bioshockraptor
Member since 2008 • 21483 Posts

Good job on this, and I can't wait, although you might want to post a link to the reveal trailer.

ItsNear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#23 ItsNear
Member since 2008 • 2991 Posts

i wonder how the gameplay for this will turn out

Flipyap28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Flipyap28

who else isn't going to buy this game if it has fees (which Im like 100% sure it would). Because SE had such a great success with FFXI, I knew ther was going to be another MMO, I am just a little dissapointed its the next FF. SE will have fees because its an MMO which they will have to host their own servers. I highly doubt there wont be payments

Was it announced there would be fees

Gamer4Iife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Gamer4Iife

who else isn't going to buy this game if it has fees (which Im like 100% sure it would). Because SE had such a great success with FFXI, I knew ther was going to be another MMO, I am just a little dissapointed its the next FF. SE will have fees because its an MMO which they will have to host their own servers. I highly doubt there wont be payments

Was it announced there would be fees

Flipyap28

No details were announced about the pricing.

Are you talking about the PC version or both versions? I just can't see it happening on PS3. If it does, however, I will not be getting it.

CMakaCreative

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 CMakaCreative
Member since 2004 • 2107 Posts
The only MMO game I ever played was FFXI. To tell you the truth, when the guy was like, "And now here is the next Final Fantasy...exclusive to the PS3...Final Fantasy...." I was sure he was gonna say XIII Versus. But XIV came out his mouth & I though he fugged up. Then the video rolled & it all looked familiar....It had characters from FFXI & I had a feeling this was an MMO. And sure enough, it's an MMO. Now I haven't played another MMO since FFXI. FFXI was pretty fun in the beginning but ended up becoming very party driven towards the higher level & to progress the story. My problem, my job class that I spent so much time leveling wasn't very popular at the higher levels & thus my MMO days were done. I'll be giving this game a shot when it comes out. I'm sure they'll give you a month free to try it out & if it's good, then I won't mind paying a monthly fee is it isn't too rediculous. I just hope they will let us be able to go through the game with & without a party. I'd like to finish the story lines I started. I'm surprised that they will release it the same year they release FFXIII. Two FF games in one year of the main series....somebody is smoking crack.
Dinkyfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27 Dinkyfish
Member since 2007 • 1491 Posts

I can almost guarantee you that this game will not be PS3 exclusive. I watched the conference and noted that he was very careful to say that it would be PS3 exclusive "at the time of launch." This simply means that there will be a delayed release on the 360 (and possibly PC).

Even if I'm wrong, I'm not even vaguely interested in MMOs. Boo @ FFXIV :P lol 

maniamsmart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28 maniamsmart
Member since 2006 • 12069 Posts
Is XIII already out even?
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Hearing about FFXIV, before hearing it was an MMORPG: :D!!!

After hearing FFXIV would be an MMORPG: :|........:(.........:cry: 

Bioshockraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Bioshockraptor

Hearing about FFXIV, before hearing it was an MMORPG: :D!!!

After hearing FFXIV would be an MMORPG: :|........:(.........:cry:

DJ-Lafleur

Yeah well... I think it could be good... but if it has monthly fees... then they won't get any gamers :|.

CamiKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 CamiKitten

Ok so people will pay for WoW but won't pay for XIV? I hightly doubt that, lol. The only reason FFXI was so expensive, is that for each new char you created it was a $1 extra. If they knock out that kinda fee, it would be much better. Considering I had 3 extra characters on my account, but they were are lvl 1 mules to hold my junk and crafting supplies :lol:. When they created the lvl sync system, that knocked out having to hold on to so much low leveled armor and therefore knocked out a few of my mules ^^.

I'll pay, and won't be the only one there either. Considering how they first started off on XI back in 2003, to how they are now, it'll be worth it to start out fresh that way.

Bioshockraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Bioshockraptor

It really depends on the price for me. I don't have a job, so that could be a problem.

But if it's $110 for the game (Like most brand new games are) and then a monthly fee, I'm so not doing it >__>

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

It really depends on the price for me. I don't have a job, so that could be a problem.

But if it's $110 for the game (Like most brand new games are) and then a monthly fee, I'm so not doing it >__>

Bioshockraptor

I'm not buying it no matter what. MMORPG's are not appealing to me. 

NeoGen85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 NeoGen85

Bioshockraptor

A $110 for a brand new game? Where do you live?

ktulu007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#35 ktulu007
Member since 2004 • 41725 Posts
Not another MMO Final Fantasy. *facepalm*
Flipyap28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Flipyap28

Maybe this is the new SE FF tradition

We see classic FF X (Squaresoft) and FFXIIIboth with a second version (X-2 and Versus)

Then an MMO FFXI and FFXIV

Then a FFXII....lol Everyone might dislike FFXV as well

Â