-Phaz-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 -Phaz-
Member since 2006 • 927 Posts

So What is your favorite Ability System?

Sorry if this has been done before

-Phaz-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 -Phaz-
Member since 2006 • 927 Posts
i personnaly preffered the Job System of XI, thats why i'am eagerly anticipating III.
fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 fs_metal
Member since 2005 • 25711 Posts

The job system in FFV is the best

ThreeVo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ThreeVo
Member since 2007 • 595 Posts
Does tactics count?.. even though it derived from FFV..
ThreeVo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ThreeVo
Member since 2007 • 595 Posts
? u liked 11 and thats why u are looking forward to 3? were have u been lol  jk...
i personnaly preffered the Job System of XI, thats why i'am eagerly anticipating III.-Phaz-
Fantasy_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Fantasy_Gamer
Member since 2004 • 14159 Posts

1. Materia System. Endless customization. It requires complete understanding of the system so you can get the best out of it.

2. Job System. Endless customization, though more limited. Still, one of the coolest and very close ot my heart since FFIII NES days.

3. Junction System. Once more, endless customization. Why am I stressing "endless customization? It is improtant for me for it allows the game to stay true to the term "role-playing game" (battle-wise, at least) where a gamer is free to take the role they want a particular character to take at any time.

4. Sphere Grid. Though it does not allow for customization, forcing you to take a particular path instead of another is a really good idea. It will force you to distribute the functionality of your characters.

5. License System. Very similar to the Sphere Grid, but because of the fact that it is very easy to max the license board, in the end, all characters are the same.

cloudstrife145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#7 cloudstrife145
Member since 2006 • 1051 Posts
I'll have to say the Materia system because with the materias, I can use lots of combinations of things. For example, I can attack with poisoin and such....
Headbanger88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 Headbanger88
Member since 2004 • 5023 Posts
No real system at all a la FFIV. This way every character is completely balanced  and each character has a specific role to fullfill, instead of being able to have each character double up as a support healer.
Gameslayer3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 Gameslayer3
Member since 2006 • 19915 Posts
i liked the job system in 5 gba
Fantasy_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Fantasy_Gamer
Member since 2004 • 14159 Posts
Btw, FFV, FFT, and FFX-2 are basically using the Job Change System. In FFX-2 it uses a different name, but it's Job Change System... We can't deny it.
-weezer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#11 -weezer-
Member since 2006 • 1895 Posts

1. Materia System. Endless customization. It requires complete understanding of the system so you can get the best out of it.

2. Job System. Endless customization, though more limited. Still, one of the coolest and very close ot my heart since FFIII NES days.

3. Junction System. Once more, endless customization. Why am I stressing "endless customization? It is improtant for me for it allows the game to stay true to the term "role-playing game" (battle-wise, at least) where a gamer is free to take the role they want a particular character to take at any time.

4. Sphere Grid. Though it does not allow for customization, forcing you to take a particular path instead of another is a really good idea. It will force you to distribute the functionality of your characters.

5. License System. Very similar to the Sphere Grid, but because of the fact that it is very easy to max the license board, in the end, all characters are the same.

Fantasy_Gamer
I would have to agree in that exact order.
Orasion_Seiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#12 Orasion_Seiz
Member since 2004 • 6594 Posts
My favorite would be the draw/junction system from VIII. But the job change from FFIII is considered the best ever in the series.
greatfluffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 greatfluffy
Member since 2005 • 2062 Posts
FFVIII ability system was really fun but sometimes tooo overpowering.
Ebi_Furya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#14 Ebi_Furya
Member since 2006 • 258 Posts

No love for the Sphere Grid? Sheesh! :P

I personally really like the Sphere Grid, but then again, I did play the game to death and had taken everyone pretty much everywhere they could go...Tidus and Rikku are just sitting there with around 30 sphere levels and nothing left to activate... *sigh*

But hey, I was able to beat Nemesis multiple times! I guess I just like the fact that your characters can max their stats quite easily and that by leveling Yuna, the Aeons get freaking strong as well. Plus, by the time you get everyone to the point where they start entering into each others areas, you should be near the end of the game which means up till that point, everyone maintained their "classes" (with the exception of Kimari who doesn't have a class and can pretty much go anywhere early on).

My second favorite would be the Junction system from VIII. I've mentioned it before in other topics, but you can get seriously strong at a very low level (I beat Ultimecia with an average level of 30, and I know it can be done even lower than that).

Third is the Materia system. I really like it, I just haven't spent enough time to learn all the little details of the system...but I am playing through VII again, so maybe my opinion will change after this play through.

- Ebi

Dantefan1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 Dantefan1
Member since 2005 • 718 Posts

the materia system in FFVII.

with a good understanding of it and great usage of each materia, you can make some unbelievably strong attacks. (using counter linked w/ mime, while having KotR linked with HP Absorb, for instance, makes your counterattack each time youre hit the KorR summon w/o using MP, and absorbing 9999 HP every time, as long as the first attack you use is KotR, and dont use anything else during the fight.)

cloudstrife145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#16 cloudstrife145
Member since 2006 • 1051 Posts

No love for the Sphere Grid? Sheesh! :P

I personally really like the Sphere Grid, but then again, I did play the game to death and had taken everyone pretty much everywhere they could go...Tidus and Rikku are just sitting there with around 30 sphere levels and nothing left to activate... *sigh*

But hey, I was able to beat Nemesis multiple times! I guess I just like the fact that your characters can max their stats quite easily and that by leveling Yuna, the Aeons get freaking strong as well. Plus, by the time you get everyone to the point where they start entering into each others areas, you should be near the end of the game which means up till that point, everyone maintained their "classes" (with the exception of Kimari who doesn't have a class and can pretty much go anywhere early on).

My second favorite would be the Junction system from VIII. I've mentioned it before in other topics, but you can get seriously strong at a very low level (I beat Ultimecia with an average level of 30, and I know it can be done even lower than that).

Third is the Materia system. I really like it, I just haven't spent enough time to learn all the little details of the system...but I am playing through VII again, so maybe my opinion will change after this play through.

- Ebi

Ebi_Furya

sphere grid is nice, but not as good as the materia system. :)

frostbourne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 frostbourne
Member since 2005 • 2773 Posts

I really enjoyed the sphere grid system because I was able to almost max out all my stats. Plus, playing the expert sphere grid gives experienced players the kind of flexibility to mould their characters' skills according to their liking.

Talk about giving Lulu holy first instead of ultima!

frostbourne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 frostbourne
[QUOTE="Fantasy_Gamer"]

-weezer-

I would have to agree in that exact order.

Have to agree about the license system being the least favored since I'm also taking time trying to like it right now. Also, it's too bad FF12 don't have any more ultimate (celestial) weapons except the zodiac sphere. I really enjoyed collecting the weapons for Yuna and Co. in FFX.

tabian00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 tabian00
Member since 2004 • 157 Posts
I really enjoyed the Junction System from VIII. Granted I utterly hated the Draw System that was required to maximize the effects of the junctioning. It did allow for me to adhere to the whole aspect of playing "how I wanted to play" the true form of a role-playing game. It allows me to customize each individual character. It also allowed for the customization of each individual GF as well which was great nearing the end when the money was there to buy abilities for the GFs. I know the sphere grid does this as well but something about having to follow pre-determined paths and spending large amounts of items for minimal gain (100 power spheres for an extra 100 HP...no thanks.) just doesn't sit well with me.
Akivaria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#21 Akivaria
Member since 2007 • 265 Posts
I enjoyed the job system, not just for the customization, but for the fact that I don't have to think ahead to still end up with useful characters.
Avatar image for deactivated-618270cdaadf2
deactivated-618270cdaadf2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#22 deactivated-618270cdaadf2
Member since 2006 • 2268 Posts
i enjoyed the ones out of 7 and 8 and 10 was okay but i like most of them there all cool.
deathknightleo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deathknightleo
Member since 2006 • 274 Posts
i liked final fantasy 7 materia system cause of so much variety ucould give to a attacker, magic user and u could make a deffender if u really wanted to with the cover materia...
frostbourne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 frostbourne
I really wonder what this whole forum's got to say about the FFX sphere grid system and why it hasn't really got the favor of much fans. Perhaps materia was far better off, although I'm one who's really into new games, and the more I've played FFX, the more I learnt to live it ability system. Especially when maxing out all my stats! :D
frostbourne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 frostbourne
I guess no one here really likes the dress sphere systen (FFX-2). I guess Square enix were kinda experimenting on something different that time. Didn't work out too great with the lads though! It's a man's world out there!
fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 fs_metal
Member since 2005 • 25711 Posts
I guess no one here really likes the dress sphere systen (FFX-2). I guess Square enix were kinda experimenting on something different that time. Didn't work out too great with the lads though! It's a man's world out there!frostbourne
They weren't experimenting with somethind ifferent. Teh dress sphere is the job system. FFT, FFV and FFIII all had it
CoRiNi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#27 CoRiNi
Member since 2005 • 791 Posts
I voted for e job change system although I meant by the vote the FFT. but it's my favorite and that's why I see FFIII one of the best in the series.
nywled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28 nywled
Member since 2005 • 359 Posts
I'll have to say the Materia system because with the materias, I can use lots of combinations of things. For example, I can attack with poisoin and such....cloudstrife145
=)