Flipyap28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 Flipyap28
Member since 2008 • 3865 Posts

I am posting this here because as you may know, Lost Odyssey has a lot to do with Final Fantasy and anyone who enjoyed the old Final Fantasies could enjoy it.

At first, when I heard about Lost Odyssey 2, I was quite excited as I did enjoy Lost Odyssey a lot but after seeing Final Fantasy XIII's trailer, you can tell that it is 1000x better than Lost Odyssey. So the question is, can Lost Odyssey really compete against Final Fantasy especially since now FF is on its home turf, the 360.

Just a thought, LO is really fun IMO and should be fun, for FF fans but will FFXIII make it dissapear....

Gamer4Iife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Gamer4Iife
Member since 2008 • 6010 Posts

Not a chance, Final Fantasy is too huge. Lost Odyssey is not only new, but also lacks the mass-market appeal that FF has. The only reason why people even cared about LO in the first place was because Hironobu Sakaguchi was involved.

Even from a quality perspective, I thought LO was inferior to FFXII in almost every way. The game had some really annoying designs, everything about it felt so dated and old.

Flipyap28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Flipyap28

Not a chance, Final Fantasy is too huge. Lost Odyssey is not only new, but also lacks the mass-market appeal that FF has. The only reason why people even cared about LO in the first place was because Hironobu Sakaguchi was involved.

Even from a quality perspective, I thought LO was inferior to FFXII in almost every way. The game had some really annoying designs, everything about it felt so dated and old.

Gamer4Iife

I suppose you are right about the game being dated although it was fun to play something like the old Final Fantasies again, I just hope FFXIII doesn't let us down this generation

Gamer4Iife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Gamer4Iife
Member since 2008 • 6010 Posts

I suppose you are right about the game being dated although it was fun to play something like the old Final Fantasies again, I just hope FFXIII doesn't let us down this generation

Flipyap28

Yeah, but the difference with old FFs is that are exactly what they are; old. You accept the fact that they were made years ago and the nostalgia they give you always helps.

With a new game on a current-gen system, you just can't get away with that. The expectations are different.

Flipyap28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Flipyap28
what i mean by old is how it sticks to the original battle system like FFXIII is going to do, but in a much more advanced and better way for this generation such as the visuals of attacking...finally, seeing your character run up and hit the enemy with thier sword :D
NeoGen85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 NeoGen85
Member since 2003 • 4270 Posts
[QUOTE="Flipyap28"]

Gamer4Iife

Yeah, but the difference with old FFs is that are exactly what they are; old. You accept the fact that they were made years ago and the nostalgia they give you always helps.

With a new game on a current-gen system, you just can't get away with that. The expectations are different.

What would have made Lost Odyssey better is if it was a more stable game. As far as traditional JRPG goes, they still have some appeal to fans that love roleplaying games. Dragon Quest is a perfect example of this. But LO2(or any other future Mistwalker title) really needs to me something else. Square Enix will not only have Final Fantasy XIII and Versus. But Dragon Quest X is heading to the Wii with some new ideas(hopefully).

Doc_Mugger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#7 Doc_Mugger
Member since 2008 • 62 Posts
I didn't even know there was going to be a Lost Odyssey 2. Where can I read up on this?
youngsexynerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 youngsexynerd
Member since 2008 • 873 Posts
yeah seriously, i havnt heard about it either, an i wanna know?
Genesis1812

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Genesis1812
Member since 2008 • 198 Posts
I heard they were making it a franchise like FF. with changing worlds and characters every time. Might have been a rumour though...
Doc_Mugger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Doc_Mugger

I heard they were making it a franchise like FF. with changing worlds and characters every time. Might have been a rumour though... Genesis1812

I hope they do. I mean, I really like Lost Odyssey. I'm a huge Final Fantasy fan, but I think some competition would be good. Not that Lost Odyssey can compete with FF, but it's always good when there is some competition. Makes them have to work on putting out a quality game instead of just slapping something out.

Genesis1812

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Genesis1812
Member since 2008 • 198 Posts
I hope they make a franchise just so that there are more great JRPGs coming out, but the characters in the first really pissed me off for some reason, especially Ming :evil: but they have a lot to improve if they make a sequel IMO.
Doc_Mugger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Doc_Mugger

I hope they make a franchise just so that there are more great JRPGs coming out, but the characters in the first really pissed me off for some reason, especially Ming :evil: but they have a lot to improve if they make a sequel IMO.Genesis1812

Yeah most of the characters really got to me. Jansen being the main one, then Cooke, then Mack. I pretty much liked only Kaim, Seth, and Sed.

Flipyap28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Flipyap28

[QUOTE="Genesis1812"]I hope they make a franchise just so that there are more great JRPGs coming out, but the characters in the first really pissed me off for some reason, especially Ming :evil: but they have a lot to improve if they make a sequel IMO.Doc_Mugger

Yeah most of the characters really got to me. Jansen being the main one, then Cooke, then Mack. I pretty much liked only Kaim, Seth, and Sed.

Im like the only person in the world who though Jensan was funny, his song wsa hillarious and the ending is too. Anyway, I think I would enjoy a LO2 but not as much as FFXIII

Doc_Mugger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Doc_Mugger
[QUOTE="Doc_Mugger"]

[QUOTE="Genesis1812"]I hope they make a franchise just so that there are more great JRPGs coming out, but the characters in the first really pissed me off for some reason, especially Ming :evil: but they have a lot to improve if they make a sequel IMO.Flipyap28

Im like the only person in the world who though Jensan was funny, his song wsa hillarious and the ending is too. Anyway, I think I would enjoy a LO2 but not as much as FFXIII

Haha well more power to you on the whole Jansen thing. And yeah I agree, LO2 would be nice, but not even close to FFXIII

Shiggums

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#15 Shiggums
Member since 2007 • 21436 Posts
I liked LO too, but it isn't going to stand a chance against one of the most successful and highly-rated video games series that FF is.
D3dr0_0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 232

#16 D3dr0_0
Member since 2008 • 3530 Posts
Why did Sakaguchi leave Square, Yeah Mist Walker sounds like a cool company but Sakaguchi should go back to Square Enix.
DrAwesomeMD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DrAwesomeMD
Member since 2007 • 17547 Posts

Why did Sakaguchi leave SquareD3dr0_0

He was fired after The Spirits Within, IIRC.

D3dr0_0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 232

#18 D3dr0_0
Member since 2008 • 3530 Posts

Thanks when was he fired DrAwesomeMD?

siberian142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 siberian142
Member since 2007 • 7774 Posts
I dont think so. LO is a great game but it doesnt have much of a chance up against FF:P.
Flipyap28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Flipyap28
I should of made the topic title "Will LO2 be worth playing if it came out before FFXIII" because it is was obvious even when I posted it, that it wont match up to FFXIII
Avatar image for lightwarrior179
lightwarrior179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#21 lightwarrior179
Member since 2006 • 3422 Posts
Lost Odyssey was a fantastic game and due to it's "old-schoolness" it can't be compared to Final Fantasy since both games are in different categories of JRPGs.
CMakaCreative

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 CMakaCreative
Member since 2004 • 2107 Posts
LO2 would be a great filler while we wait for FFXIII to come out. If they dropped the same day, LO2 would be crushed. I like LO & it came out when there wasn't much RPG's out. That's what I sequel would have to do to be successful, come out when there's not much else coming out in the RPG genre.
Flipyap28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Flipyap28

LO2 would be a great filler while we wait for FFXIII to come out. If they dropped the same day, LO2 would be crushed. I like LO & it came out when there wasn't much RPG's out. That's what I sequel would have to do to be successful, come out when there's not much else coming out in the RPG genre.CMakaCreative

Totally agree with you, unless they are secretly trying to make Lost Odyssey 2 better than FFXIII which lets face it, will never happen

SymonDezyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#25 SymonDezyn
Member since 2006 • 4927 Posts
[QUOTE="Doc_Mugger"]

[QUOTE="Genesis1812"]I hope they make a franchise just so that there are more great JRPGs coming out, but the characters in the first really pissed me off for some reason, especially Ming :evil: but they have a lot to improve if they make a sequel IMO.Flipyap28

No you're not, i loved Jansen as well - in fact, this whole game was a breath of fresh air to me. i am truly surprised more people were not more enamored with it because it does carry a lot of similarities (to me) of the FF series. I didn't find it buggy, nor did i find it outdated looking. I thought it was breathtaking and a pleasure to play.

HOWEVER, i think it'll take a lot of time for the LO series to do what FF has done..... it will be popular, but will it ever equal FF epicness? eh, probably not, at least not while SE is making more FF games. It just doesn't have the history of die hard loyal fans like FF does. 

Flipyap28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Flipyap28
[QUOTE="Flipyap28"][QUOTE="Doc_Mugger"]

[QUOTE="Genesis1812"]I hope they make a franchise just so that there are more great JRPGs coming out, but the characters in the first really pissed me off for some reason, especially Ming :evil: but they have a lot to improve if they make a sequel IMO.SymonDezyn

No you're not, i loved Jansen as well - in fact, this whole game was a breath of fresh air to me. i am truly surprised more people were not more enamored with it because it does carry a lot of similarities (to me) of the FF series. I didn't find it buggy, nor did i find it outdated looking. I thought it was breathtaking and a pleasure to play.

HOWEVER, i think it'll take a lot of time for the LO series to do what FF has done..... it will be popular, but will it ever equal FF epicness? eh, probably not, at least not while SE is making more FF games. It just doesn't have the history of die hard loyal fans like FF does. 

Thats another problem with some gamers who dont like LO, LO's reviews all said it had bug problems when there was only bugs and slower loading times in the reviewer's copies, not in the retail version.

Anyway, I loved Lost Odyssey, not as much as Final Fantasy of course, but how can you not like something simmilar to Final Fantasy. I think too many hardcore FF fans just decided not to like this game for being too similar to Final Fantasy and just picked out all the things missing. Whats wrong with having another game like Final Fantasy with some positive similarities such as a really good story (i hope there still is dreams)

SymonDezyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SymonDezyn

i agree with you there - you can't not like Lost Odyssey unless you were determined not to, for whatever reason. It was a beautiful game in every way, and i never found it buggy at all.

Final Fantasy will always do well and be a fan favourite, but that doesn't mean there's not room for other RPG franchises to be successful as well. 

the_greenzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 the_greenzero
Member since 2005 • 5006 Posts

I didn't even know there was going to be a Lost Odyssey 2. Where can I read up on this?Doc_Mugger

Same here, anyway I never played the first one and can't really pass judgment but I probably wouldn't think so.

majestix1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 majestix1988
Member since 2006 • 822 Posts

if the battle system changes to be original and unique does not look like final fantasy series......that will be good for new lost odyssey 2.....and graphic setting too

SymonDezyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SymonDezyn

if the battle system changes to be original and unique does not look like final fantasy series......that will be good for new lost odyssey 2.....and graphic setting too

majestix1988

i thought the battle system was very good on this game - especially the element of timing on the strike attacks to get a good or perfect hit for more damage - better than brainless hack n slash that a lot of RPG's are incorporating nowadays.

And how is it bad that it looks similar to FF? An artist's style is his style - he can't change that. He could as easily say - 'hey, stop making FF look like my style cause i want to do other projects now' but that would be silly. Likewise, saying that he's not allowed to or shouldn't make his own work look like his own style is kinda silly, IMO. (but that's cause i'm an artist so i guess i sympathize)

NeoGen85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 NeoGen85
Member since 2003 • 4270 Posts

Haha. I love the battles but I hate em' at the sametime. You might have less random encounters, but Lost Odyssey throws some crazy enemies at you to make things challenging which results in these long random battles. Those are the times I just have my head hanging off the side of the bed while I lay on my back with my controller on my chest as I input commands only to repeat, die already! :D

With Final Fantasy you're in and out with a little victory fanfare. In Lost Odyssey you have these field areas with some challenging enemy combinations; after gaining your experience you just want to make a sam'ich and get some kool-aid.

Flipyap28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Flipyap28

Haha. I love the battles but I hate em' at the sametime. You might have less random encounters, but Lost Odyssey throws some crazy enemies at you to make things challenging which results in these long random battles. Those are the times I just have my head hanging off the side of the bed while I lay on my back with my controller on my chest as I input commands only to repeat, die already! :D

With Final Fantasy you're in and out with a little victory fanfare. In Lost Odyssey you have these field areas with some challenging enemy combinations; after gaining your experience you just want to make a sam'ich and get some kool-aid.

NeoGen85

but it also very easy to train in Lost Odyssey, and some of the enemies are interesting. I think the signature monsters of LO are the Kelolons and they were pretty cool, especially the black kelolons