Khoo1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 68

User Lists: 0

#1 Khoo1992
Member since 2005 • 2472 Posts

Nick Heidfeld has been told that he is still going to have to wait before he gets a firm answer about his future from the BMW Sauber team, despite another strong performance in the Bahrain Grand Prix.

The German overtook world champion Fernando Alonso on his way to a well-earned fourth place at Sakhir - the third consecutive time he has finished in that position.

Despite his results, however, Heidfeld's bosses are still holding out on whether they will stick with him for 2008.

Heidfeld only has an option in his deal for next year and BMW Sauber are currently weighing up whether to commit to him for another campaign or go with young rookie Sebastian Vettel.

When asked by autosport.com whether Heidfeld's performances would lead to a quick answer about his future, BMW motorsport director Mario Theissen said: "Don't expect an immediate decision.

"I have said we will announce next year's driver line-up at the end of this season, which means we need to come to an agreement before that. We will deal with that issue as usual. We will talk it through internally and have discussions, negotiations, come to a conclusion and then announce it."

Heidfeld said before the weekend that he wanted an answer sooner rather than later so that he does not miss out on the chance of a competitive ride elsewhere if he is dropped.

But despite stalling on making a firm decision, Theissen has made it clear that he is not thinking of doing anything other than retaining Heidfeld.

"I think for both sides there is no reason at the moment to think about different set-ups," he explained. "On the other hand, there is no need either to rush."

autosport.com 

gerardinsito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 gerardinsito
Member since 2006 • 360 Posts
He needs to wait till one better team make him a good offer... I mean... Renault is going down... his only hope are Ferrari and McLaren... and those are all good with their drivers so... I think he'll stay
The_Gabmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 The_Gabmaster
Member since 2007 • 1580 Posts
I think hes getting a little worked up.... It can wait man!!!!!
BlaZe_irl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 BlaZe_irl
Member since 2006 • 1886 Posts

I think hes getting a little worked up.... It can wait man!!!!!The_Gabmaster

Maybe hes got an offer from somewhere else and needs to know ASAP if BMW still want him.....

Avatar image for KimisApprentice
KimisApprentice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 KimisApprentice
Member since 2006 • 2425 Posts
Heidfeld is in a good spot where is, a young teammate that he can beat fairly easily, a good competitive car. He wont find that elsewhere... From memory, Nico Rosberg's contract is up at the end of the year... Trulli's I think too... maybe the Renault fellas... But really hes best off at BMW-Sauber if he can stay there
The_Gabmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 The_Gabmaster
I would stay there if I was him... Im sure hes gonna be the team fav cuz he is german!!!
Khoo1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 68

#7 Khoo1992
Member since 2005 • 2472 Posts
I think so too
icytower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 icytower
Member since 2005 • 10643 Posts

Here is why he needs to stay at BMW:

• I do not see Ferrari & McLaren wanting new drivers anytime soon, unless there is some fallout of course.
  • Renault is faultering behind BMW at the moment so why move there.
  • Let's face it, the rest of the teams out there have no real chance at doing anything spectacular.
  • BMW has shown a large amount of promise, IMO, last season and the first 3 races of this season.

So basically Heidfeld would be shooting himself in the foot if he went anyplace else within F1 to drive. Only option he would have that is a semi smart move is a move to Renault.

The_Gabmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 The_Gabmaster
Totally right Icytower!!!!!