Yakuza 3 (EU/AU), regular edition is collector's edition.

DebugJunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 DebugJunky
Member since 2008 • 214 Posts

Sega announced today (3 days ago now) that only one version of the game is to released in Europe and Australasia, with that version given a standard price along with some not-so-standard inclusions.

Yakuza 3 EU/AU release.

Bundled along with the game itself will be a 31-song soundtrack, an interactive "beginner's guide" to the history and relationships of the series' characters (very handy considering few people will have played the preceding games) and four pieces of DLC for the title (which, admittedly, were released in Japan for free) included on the disc.

http://kotaku.com/5464760/yakuza-3s-pal-collectors-edition-is-also-its-regular-edition

Pretty awesome for a regular edition, nice move considering SEGA hasn't bothered much on marketing Yakuza as a series here in the West (least, not marketing Yakuza for what it was and not promoting Yakuza 2 at all).

Considering most collector's editions (or special/limited editions) these days come with that much or just an artbook and sleeve this seems like a step in the right direction seeing as special editions have become such a joke this gen, it's nice to see SEGA seems to be trying to please its fans more this year than it has in its last several (what with localizing Yakuza 3, new IPs like Bayonetta, Sonic 4, the rumoured budget retro console and more).

Anyone else think if a publisher is gonna release a special edition of a game they might as well just make the regualr edition a bit better like this? I hate collector's editions and yet I always pay the extra for them, and I don't know if I'm more angry at myself or the publishers, lol :)

Avatar image for waflerevolution
waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 121

#2 waflerevolution
Member since 2004 • 10598 Posts
neat
bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 bigM10231
Member since 2008 • 11240 Posts

whenever i hear or see yakuza, i think of GTA3/LCS/CW because its a gang in the game
waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 waflerevolution
the Yakuza has existed more GENERATIONS longer than stupid GTA games.
totalgridlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#5 totalgridlock
Member since 2004 • 1269 Posts

whenever i hear or see yakuza, i think of GTA3/LCS/CW because its a gang in the gamebigM10231

I tend to think more of Battles Without Honour and Humanity and the other Yakuza Paper films.

gmsnpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 gmsnpr
Member since 2004 • 4242 Posts

[QUOTE="bigM10231"]
whenever i hear or see yakuza, i think of GTA3/LCS/CW because its a gang in the gametotalgridlock

I tend to think more of Battles Without Honour and Humanity and the other Yakuza Paper films.

Good call.  So do I.
bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 bigM10231
the Yakuza has existed more GENERATIONS longer than stupid GTA games.waflerevolution
they are not stupid. if you played any of them you would change your mind
waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 waflerevolution

[QUOTE="waflerevolution"]the Yakuza has existed more GENERATIONS longer than stupid GTA games.bigM10231

I've played all of them from the first one (when it first came out on the PC) to the current gen GTA IV (on the 360). sure my opinion on that subject is hated by most, but I believe them to be stupid. sorry you disagree.

totalgridlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#9 totalgridlock
Member since 2004 • 1269 Posts

[QUOTE="bigM10231"][QUOTE="waflerevolution"]the Yakuza has existed more GENERATIONS longer than stupid GTA games.waflerevolution

I've played all of them from the first one (when it first came out on the PC) to the current gen GTA IV (on the 360). sure my opinion on that subject is hated by most, but I believe them to be stupid. sorry you disagree.

I never got the big deal with GTA.  The first one (I also played that on PC way back when) was fun for a while but after that it got old for me really quick. I've played all the numbered GTA games and quite frankly I don't see what the fuss is about.

Alright, so you csan be a baddie and go around stealing stuff and shooting cops and running people over.  Sorry, but being one of the bad guys isn't smart or funny anymore.  It's pretty much standard these days.  GTA suffers from Carmageddon syndrome in that because a game is somehow 'against the rules' it must be good to play.  Erm, whatever.  Every GTA I've played has occupied that middle ground between 'alright, I suppose' and 'downright mediocre'.  Nothing outstandingly bad, but nothing in my eyes that is worthy of the fuss and attention the series has recieved.

There's another thing that annoys me too.  I got into this recently on cosmo's blog, but I'll repeat myself here.  I do feel that GTA and similar games get unfairly hyped by gamers and reviewers because of their open world nature.  With sandbox games I just think that people get overwhelmed by the notion that they can do other things than walk from A to B in a straight line blasting baddies - OMG! Freedom! 10! 10! 10! - but for me, for a sandbox game to work it has to offer a satisfying game experience too, not just freedom for freedom's sake. You can't just hand out high scores and wank over a sandbox game because it's doing something fresh and innovative because an open world isn't a new thing any more! Heck, if we're being particular, Daggerfall did it in 95, Elite did it in 85! There has to be something *else* there to make a game truly great, preferably some semblance of strong gameplay. Mowing down hookers isn't it. There are probably a million and one free flash games that let me do that.

To each their own though.  I'd just rather play something else...

This is all my opinion of course, which I am fully entitled to shout at whoever will listen; in my opinion GTA is mediocre, in bigM's opinion GTA is good.  He's entitled to that.  In wafle's opinion GTA is stupid.  He's entitled to that too.

On an aside, I must say the 'crime simulator' tag that GTA got a few years back made me laugh out loud.  Next time I want to steal a car I'll just stand next to it pressing X...

waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 waflerevolution
[QUOTE="waflerevolution"]

[QUOTE="bigM10231"][QUOTE="waflerevolution"]the Yakuza has existed more GENERATIONS longer than stupid GTA games.totalgridlock

I never got the big deal with GTA.  The first one (I also played that on PC way back when) was fun for a while but after that it got old for me really quick. I've played all the numbered GTA games and quite frankly I don't see what the fuss is about.

Alright, so you csan be a baddie and go around stealing stuff and shooting cops and running people over.  Sorry, but being one of the bad guys isn't smart or funny anymore.  It's pretty much standard these days.  GTA suffers from Carmageddon syndrome in that because a game is somehow 'against the rules' it must be good to play.  Erm, whatever.  Every GTA I've played has occupied that middle ground between 'alright, I suppose' and 'downright mediocre'.  Nothing outstandingly bad, but nothing in my eyes that is worthy of the fuss and attention the series has recieved.

There's another thing that annoys me too.  I got into this recently on cosmo's blog, but I'll repeat myself here.  I do feel that GTA and similar games get unfairly hyped by gamers and reviewers because of their open world nature.  With sandbox games I just think that people get overwhelmed by the notion that they can do other things than walk from A to B in a straight line blasting baddies - OMG! Freedom! 10! 10! 10! - but for me, for a sandbox game to work it has to offer a satisfying game experience too, not just freedom for freedom's sake. You can't just hand out high scores and wank over a sandbox game because it's doing something fresh and innovative because an open world isn't a new thing any more! Heck, if we're being particular, Daggerfall did it in 95, Elite did it in 85! There has to be something *else* there to make a game truly great, preferably some semblance of strong gameplay. Mowing down hookers isn't it. There are probably a million and one free flash games that let me do that.

This is all my opinion of course, which I am fully entitled to shout at whoever will listen; in my opinion GTA is mediocre, in bigM's opinion GTA is good.  He's entitled to that.  In wafle's opinion GTA is stupid.  He's entitled to that too.

On an aside, I must say the 'crime simulator' tag that GTA got a few years back made me laugh out loud.  Next time I want to steal a car I'll just stand next to it pressing X...

hear hear!

dead on... the whole "nice" of the genre was killed... especially when the market became over-saturated by the GTA style games. my main problem being that GTA takes pointless and meaningless violence to an extreme and takes it far too seriously. at least with Saint's Row, it's done completely in jest.

as for mindless reviews... games like GTA... specifically Crackdown.... god that game was awful.... did not deserve a 10... totally with you there... and in that game you were a good guy...

in the end; GTA fanboys are a dime a dozen... mostly people who just drink the kool aide... the ptoblem is the ones who started their gaming careers on that type of game... most  of them were and are casual gamers.... the Madden/GTA/popular FPS crowd. they are dragging the industry into the toilet.making it look like they are the stereotype/average gamer.

bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 bigM10231
[QUOTE="totalgridlock"][QUOTE="waflerevolution"]

[QUOTE="bigM10231"][QUOTE="waflerevolution"]the Yakuza has existed more GENERATIONS longer than stupid GTA games.waflerevolution

hear hear!

dead on... the whole "nice" of the genre was killed... especially when the market became over-saturated by the GTA style games. my main problem being that GTA takes pointless and meaningless violence to an extreme and takes it far too seriously. at least with Saint's Row, it's done completely in jest.

as for mindless reviews... games like GTA... specifically Crackdown.... god that game was awful.... did not deserve a 10... totally with you there... and in that game you were a good guy...

in the end; GTA fanboys are a dime a dozen... mostly people who just drink the kool aide... the ptoblem is the ones who started their gaming careers on that type of game... most  of them were and are casual gamers.... the Madden/GTA/popular FPS crowd. they are dragging the industry into the toilet.making it look like they are the stereotype/average gamer.

I like the GTA games just to drive around and then do missions which is the better part of the series. Its one of my faves because it has cheats for almost everything. I like the exploration and action that the game serves. i know some may hate GTA but i know some alternatives like: Saints Row Series, the godfather, driver. at times saints row seems ten times as good as gta
waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 waflerevolution
[QUOTE="waflerevolution"][QUOTE="totalgridlock"][QUOTE="waflerevolution"]

[QUOTE="bigM10231"][QUOTE="waflerevolution"]the Yakuza has existed more GENERATIONS longer than stupid GTA games.bigM10231

hear hear!

I like the GTA games just to drive around and then do missions which is the better part of the series. Its one of my faves because it has cheats for almost everything. I like the exploration and action that the game serves. i know some may hate GTA but i know some alternatives like: Saints Row Series, the godfather, driver. at times saints row seems ten times as good as gta

Godfather lacks customization... DRiver is pretty neat actually... though it isn't really GTA-esc... Sandbox worlds can play out wonderfully in gmaes like Spider-Man 2 last gen. GTA just seems to be a backwards step to the genre. and games in general... it's just releasing the same product with new paint. and it offers distinct and gratuitous violence. do I play them? yes. do I enjoy 100% of what they offer? absolutely not.