falconclan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 0

#1 falconclan
Member since 2005 • 15885 Posts

Hey guys, just a heads up. Our store is changing policy on all used DS games, and I'm pretty sure its nation wide, not district wide. From here on out, unless feedback changes things, stores will NOT be keeping DS cases, or instruction manuals. 

It seems to be an unfortunate decision from higher ups in the company because most of the games come in without cases anyways, and it will save store space for other inventory. They fail to realize that this will make it practically impossible to find some games complete. 

Anyways, get out there and start snatching up complete games while you can. I'm glad I recently bought some rarer DS games, because this just happened today with no warning. For the time being we are keeping the old cases just in case there is a change in course, but management doesn't think so.

TL;DR buy used DS games nao.

Discuss.

Edit: If you dislike this decision I'd email the company and see if we can't turn this around, because its hard enough to find some of these games. It won't be too hard for me as I work for them, but for the regular customer this is going to be a ball breaker.

gmsnpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 gmsnpr
Member since 2004 • 4242 Posts
Thank you for posting this.
falconclan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 falconclan

I found out how to email them BTW.

From tellgamestop.com you can choose not to take the survey, but still complain/compliment by clicking on a link. From there you can enter your local info, click other/dont remember on who helped you and the next page you can right out your complaint and ask to be contacted by the District Manager.

GAMECAMILLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#4 GAMECAMILLER
Member since 2005 • 4994 Posts
I wonder if this will affect PSP games as well.
falconclan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 falconclan
I wonder if this will affect PSP games as well.GAMECAMILLER
Nope, not yet. Part of the problem is that DS games rarely get sold with everything, but sometimes they do, and usually if it has the case it has everything else. They are solving the problem by getting rid of everything instead of just putting the ones without cases in the glass cases.
TwarBlackshire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 TwarBlackshire
Member since 2005 • 726 Posts

[QUOTE="GAMECAMILLER"]I wonder if this will affect PSP games as well.falconclan
Nope, not yet. Part of the problem is that DS games rarely get sold with everything, but sometimes they do, and usually if it has the case it has everything else. They are solving the problem by getting rid of everything instead of just putting the ones without cases in the glass cases.

Man that is just idiotic...I don't have the proper words to explain how dumb that is.

someNONSENSE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 someNONSENSE
Member since 2006 • 1404 Posts
All the more reason to not spend any money at Gamestop.
gmsnpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 gmsnpr
Member since 2004 • 4242 Posts

All the more reason to not spend any money at Gamestop.someNONSENSE
Not that I love Gamestop, but I imagine that there are plenty of places in this country where your choices on game vendor are either them or the internet for anything but what you'd find at a department store. Not spending money there while trying to shop for games might be tough for some.

The policy was mentioned to me a few months back by a friend of mine who works at a local Gamestop, but I had seen that no one was enforcing it at that time. I'm curious why it's come back up.

falconclan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 falconclan

[QUOTE="someNONSENSE"]All the more reason to not spend any money at Gamestop.gmsnpr

Not that I love Gamestop, but I imagine that there are plenty of places in this country where your choices on game vendor are either them or the internet for anything but what you'd find at a department store. Not spending money there while trying to shop for games might be tough for some.

The policy was mentioned to me a few months back by a friend of mine who works at a local Gamestop, but I had seen that no one was enforcing it at that time. I'm curious why it's come back up.

Most likely the 3DS I'd say. Also some stores are very small, and DS games take up a large portion of the store since there are so many. Another reason is that many DS games come in without cases anyways, and its a waste of time and money to make cases for all the games.

There are probably many variables.What I don't understand is that gamestop doesn't see that they are shooting their biggest customer, the core gamer, right in the heart.

totalgridlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#10 totalgridlock
Member since 2004 • 1269 Posts

I won't get into the horror that this causes me as a collector, so I'll just go straight for the business side of things:

Don't they realise they could get more money for a complete copy? I don't know what the mentality of the average American game buyer is, but over here people will nearly always be willing to pay a little more (say, £1-2 extra) for a complete copy, even if they're not collectors.  I can't imagine it's too different where you are.  People love bargains, and there's no better bargain than a like-new item at used prices.  It's probably a psychological thing.  I might not like shopping at Game (I suppose the closest thing we have to Gamestop) but even they see the sense in keeping stuff as complete as possible.  Gamestop are just throwing away money.

I guess I can see the space argument as an issue, as a loose DS game is tiny in comparison to a fully boxed version... but can't they just control their inventory better?  I don't pretend to understand the particular internal workings of a company with which I have no experience... but retail is retail.  They are a large (inter-) national chain, surely the processes are in place to ship excess stock around to where it can be better merchandised?  Larger stores, stores with fast stock turnover... maybe keep the bulk excess (ie. 10 billion copies of Nintendogs) in a central warehouse and sell it online?  All retailers have space issues, there's always too much stock and too little space... but you don't see many other retailers taking this kind of blunt instrument approach.  Maybe I'll sooth my overflowing stockroom by ripping the covers off books so I can squeeze a couple more out on the shelf...

By the way, is it really true that most DS games traded in to Gamestop lack cases?  It's totally the opposite here.  Hardly any stuff I see in Game/Gamestation/CeX etc. is less than complete.  Occasionally a missing manual, but that's always marked on the box as such and usually sold at a discount. Guess that's just another culture difference, eh?

clubhaxor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 clubhaxor
Member since 2005 • 2482 Posts
Great points Cass. *Cass for President...err Manager* :). I wouldn't even buy a loose game *so dirty* :P
falconclan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 falconclan
There may be some hope just yet. While the store I currently work at has completely switched to the new caseless game thing, I went to another local store and they still have all of their cases out in the open. Perhaps an act of defiance, or an act of laziness. Hopefully there are other stores out there doing the same things. Has anyone else experienced the caseless selling of DS games? I'm trying to get a scope on thing. My boss insists this is nation wide.
Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#13 Dracula68
Member since 2002 • 33109 Posts

Has anyone else experienced the caseless selling of DS games? I'm trying to get a scope on thing. My boss insists this is nation wide.falconclan

Honestly I only see cases missing from older Nintendo systems like Gameboy, Gameboy color, etc. I don't know anybody that will buy any game without box and instructions though.(even if it is cheaper)

duncanr2n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#14 duncanr2n
Member since 2003 • 2449 Posts

One of my local GS's is already doing this for PS2 titles that are 4.99 and under.   Rather than eat up the space with a case and manual, they are taking the disc and putting in a paper sleeve and then selling it that way.

Here's the deal, and what I think would be a good compromise.   If the game comes in used disc/cart only, then fine, then leave it that way, but if a game comes in with the box and manual, stock it that way and charge me an extra buck or two.  I would be perfectly happy with that arrangement.

TwarBlackshire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 TwarBlackshire
Member since 2005 • 726 Posts
Just a heads up that I talked to a manager of a local EB Games in Vancouver, B.C, Canada here were I live and he has heard no plans to take up this new change to the DS games that they sell at their store. I believe that EB Games is affiliated with Gamestop in some way so that bids well for the EB Games in Canada.
falconclan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 falconclan

One of my local GS's is already doing this for PS2 titles that are 4.99 and under.   Rather than eat up the space with a case and manual, they are taking the disc and putting in a paper sleeve and then selling it that way.

Here's the deal, and what I think would be a good compromise.   If the game comes in used disc/cart only, then fine, then leave it that way, but if a game comes in with the box and manual, stock it that way and charge me an extra buck or two.  I would be perfectly happy with that arrangement.

duncanr2n

Yeah, I saw that at a local store as well. Our store hasn't done it yet, but its only a matter of time.

As far as the DS games go, I'm happy to say that my store is saving the box and instructions for games that come with them, however this is a tradition we adopted, and likely won't be put to use nation wide. Also it may only be a matter of time before we are forced to get rid of them, what with the 3DS. 

cosmostein77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 102

#17 cosmostein77
Member since 2004 • 7043 Posts

I won't get into the horror that this causes me as a collector, so I'll just go straight for the business side of things:

Don't they realise they could get more money for a complete copy? I don't know what the mentality of the average American game buyer is, but over here people will nearly always be willing to pay a little more (say, £1-2 extra) for a complete copy, even if they're not collectors.  I can't imagine it's too different where you are.  People love bargains, and there's no better bargain than a like-new item at used prices.  It's probably a psychological thing.  I might not like shopping at Game (I suppose the closest thing we have to Gamestop) but even they see the sense in keeping stuff as complete as possible.  Gamestop are just throwing away money.

totalgridlock

I can't count the amount of times I have been in line at an EB/Gamestop and watched the parent in front of me ask for a game in which they are buying some their childs friends birthday, and how often they are sucked in with the "we have a used copy available for X dollars less". 

As long as they are complete then 9/10 that route seems to be taken, however getting a small chip for five bucks less then a sealed and complete game? I will opt for the new game thanks. 

Big_Evil666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Big_Evil666
Member since 2004 • 13817 Posts

Just a heads up that I talked to a manager of a local EB Games in Vancouver, B.C, Canada here were I live and he has heard no plans to take up this new change to the DS games that they sell at their store. I believe that EB Games is affiliated with Gamestop in some way so that bids well for the EB Games in Canada.TwarBlackshire

ah that's good news

Avatar image for waflerevolution
waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 121

#19 waflerevolution
Member since 2004 • 10598 Posts
figures... I don't shop there anyway... they've been trying to kill the gaming industry for years.
Big_Evil666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Big_Evil666

figures... I don't shop there anyway... they've been trying to kill the gaming industry for years.waflerevolution

rofl, matter of opinion of course

waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 waflerevolution

[QUOTE="waflerevolution"]figures... I don't shop there anyway... they've been trying to kill the gaming industry for years.Big_Evil666

matter of fact actually. I'm not going to bother giving more than 50 reasons this is true... I'll just go with the most obvious one.

they have bought out literally EVERY bit of competition they had just so they no longer had to compete. this includes more than 12 store chains in the US alone and more than 50 worldwide and more than 100 mom and pop stores.they aren't even the main company either, they are a barnes and nobles subsidiary.

Big_Evil666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Big_Evil666
[QUOTE="Big_Evil666"]

[QUOTE="waflerevolution"]figures... I don't shop there anyway... they've been trying to kill the gaming industry for years.waflerevolution

matter of fact actually. I'm not going to bother giving more than 50 reasons this is true... I'll just go with the most obvious one.

they have bought out literally EVERY bit of competition they had just so they no longer had to compete. this includes more than 12 store chains in the US alone and more than 50 worldwide and more than 100 mom and pop stores.they aren't even the main company either, they are a barnes and nobles subsidiary.

oh well, all companies do the same thing

waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 waflerevolution
[QUOTE="waflerevolution"][QUOTE="Big_Evil666"]

[QUOTE="waflerevolution"]figures... I don't shop there anyway... they've been trying to kill the gaming industry for years.Big_Evil666

most companies don't do most of the things GS does... still, you're attitude about it is bad... just because everyone else is trying to destry society and the econemy, it's okay that GS does it too?

Big_Evil666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Big_Evil666
[QUOTE="Big_Evil666"][QUOTE="waflerevolution"][QUOTE="Big_Evil666"]

[QUOTE="waflerevolution"]figures... I don't shop there anyway... they've been trying to kill the gaming industry for years.waflerevolution

most companies don't do most of the things GS does... still, you're attitude about it is bad... just because everyone else is trying to destry society and the econemy, it's okay that GS does it too?

i'm not condoning what they do, but it's just business, and i could care less actually what they do. but i'm not going to boycott EB Games or GS just over that

waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 waflerevolution
[QUOTE="waflerevolution"][QUOTE="Big_Evil666"][QUOTE="waflerevolution"][QUOTE="Big_Evil666"]

i'm not condoning what they do, but it's just business, and i could care less actually what they do. but i'm not going to boycott EB Games or GS just over that

I don't do it JUST for that either.

Big_Evil666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Big_Evil666
[QUOTE="Big_Evil666"][QUOTE="waflerevolution"][QUOTE="Big_Evil666"][QUOTE="waflerevolution"][QUOTE="Big_Evil666"]

oh, sorry, my bad. it's just that's what it sounded like

waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 waflerevolution
[QUOTE="waflerevolution"][QUOTE="Big_Evil666"][QUOTE="waflerevolution"][QUOTE="Big_Evil666"][QUOTE="waflerevolution"][QUOTE="Big_Evil666"]

really? I very specifically said "I won't start listing over 50 reasons"

clubhaxor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#28 clubhaxor
Member since 2005 • 2482 Posts

Oh, Gamestop want to outsell their competitors are you serious? I understand what you're saying waffle, that if people keep buying games there then other smaller chains will suffer and that's not good but it seems to affect you so personally which is why people probably don't understand your passion about, because as long as they get a game at the lowest price, they won't really care.

Big_Evil666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Big_Evil666
[QUOTE="Big_Evil666"][QUOTE="waflerevolution"][QUOTE="Big_Evil666"][QUOTE="waflerevolution"][QUOTE="Big_Evil666"][QUOTE="waflerevolution"][QUOTE="Big_Evil666"]

really? I very specifically said "I won't start listing over 50 reasons"

oh well u have your reasons, whatever they are for not wanting to shop there, that's cool. but i'm going to cotinue to shop at my local or at any EB Games