since a slim 360 came out, do you think the old ones will be collectors items?

bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 bigM10231
Member since 2008 • 11240 Posts

5 years from now? i think so
someNONSENSE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 someNONSENSE
Member since 2006 • 1404 Posts
No, they will all break. Lets hope the new models will last a little longer..
gmsnpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 gmsnpr
Member since 2004 • 4242 Posts

Historically, when a new system chassis comes out, the older versions don't become collectors items (think NES, SMS, SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, 3DO, Playstation, DS, PS2, PS3). The only systems that I can think of where the first run hardware is more sought after are the Neo Geo AES, since the components were a little higher quality early on, the heavy-sixer 2600 that people want seemingly just because they're older and heavier, and the Saturn, since some of the internal changes make region or A/V modding harder on the later ones.

GAMECAMILLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#4 GAMECAMILLER
Member since 2005 • 4994 Posts
To be short, no. There's too many older xboxs out there for it to become collector's items. Perhaps special bundles later might, like the Halo one for example, but not the normal ones.
falconclan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#5 falconclan
Member since 2005 • 15885 Posts

I'm wondering if any of you guys are getting one. Gamestop actually has a pretty decent trade in deal. You get $100 for the console and one controller, and a little extra for the HDD as well, my 120 would be worth $50, effectively cutting the price in half.

I'm just concerned that there will be more problems with this system. It seems to have much better ventelation, but I really want to know first hand by some people that actually purchase one. They look really sleek and sexy, but I have lost faith in Microsofts ability to make reliable hardware.

bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 bigM10231

I'm wondering if any of you guys are getting one. Gamestop actually has a pretty decent trade in deal. You get $100 for the console and one controller, and a little extra for the HDD as well, my 120 would be worth $50, effectively cutting the price in half.

I'm just concerned that there will be more problems with this system. It seems to have much better ventelation, but I really want to know first hand by some people that actually purchase one. They look really sleek and sexy, but I have lost faith in Microsofts ability to make reliable hardware.

falconclan
your faith will come back with the slim
falconclan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 falconclan
[QUOTE="falconclan"]

bigM10231

How do you know though? I mean they haven't even touched many living rooms yet. I think its hard to say whether or not they are improved unless you can cite a source that confirms they are more durable.

falconclan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 falconclan
[QUOTE="falconclan"]

bigM10231

Yeah, I was pretty sure this was a baseless comment too.
clubhaxor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 clubhaxor
Member since 2005 • 2482 Posts

I'm wondering if any of you guys are getting one.falconclan

I was really interested in getting one...then I saw the Nintendo press conference and now I want a wii aswell... and then there is the Nintendo 3DS which is basically a must buy so.... now I don't know what I want! :( I'm spoiled for choice which I guess is a good thing.  Anyone have a spare few thousand dollars? ;) 

Republican11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10 Republican11
Member since 2008 • 1029 Posts
[QUOTE="bigM10231"][QUOTE="falconclan"]

falconclan

How do you know though? I mean they haven't even touched many living rooms yet. I think its hard to say whether or not they are improved unless you can cite a source that confirms they are more durable.

I would just base it off of the fact that if this new model is as reliable as the old model, their reputation for releasing **** products would go even further down the drain, and I don't think they are that dumb. I will probably be picking it up Friday, and I will be more than happy to be the CCU test rat for it. 

bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 bigM10231
[QUOTE="falconclan"][QUOTE="bigM10231"][QUOTE="falconclan"]

Republican11

I would just base it off of the fact that if this new model is as reliable as the old model, their reputation for releasing **** products would go even further down the drain, and I don't think they are that dumb. I will probably be picking it up Friday, and I will be more than happy to be the CCU test rat for it. 

it has more vents and more fans so the heat wont melt the chips so that way it dont fail
_Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 _Bear
Member since 2002 • 18760 Posts
No not the normal editions, but I think the RE, FF13, Modern Warefare, Splinter Cell ones will.
gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#13 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

No not the normal editions, but I think the RE, FF13, Modern Warefare, Splinter Cell ones will._Bear

There are way too many X360s out there for them to become collector's items. That would have been like saying that you think the phat PS2s would become collector's items after the slim got released. If anything the slim/refresh versions of consoles are harder to find than the old ones because they usually get released in the last year of a console's lifespan which not only means that they don't have as much time to get produced and bought, but also that most people who wanted that system already have the original version. Normally even the refresh consoles aren't collectible though (although there are exceptions such as with the NES toploader which is highly sought after because its 72 pin connector doesn't degrade like the original's).

For future reference, it's almost unheard of for a popular item to become a collector's item. People make the misassumption all the time that just because a game/system is both good and old that it must be collectible. In reality any game or system that was popular is not going to be rare in the future.

cosmostein77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 102

#14 cosmostein77
Member since 2004 • 7043 Posts

I firmly believe that next E3 we will at least hear some loose talk about the next gen Xbox.

If anything these slims may ultimately become the "collectors" items, depending on the balance of the life of the 360 console. 

Normally first run units that I cut off at the knees fairly quickly become more collector-ish, like the FZ-1 3d0, or the front loading Sega CD. 

totalgridlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#15 totalgridlock
Member since 2004 • 1269 Posts

Never say never.  Consoles like the 2600 and NES sold a bazillion units in their day, yet even they are now attractive to collectors, provided they are in good condition.  While battered or well-used units may be common and cheap, people will still pay a decent sum for mint examples.  They might not command the prices of truly rare items, but collectable doesn't have to mean rare.

The real question is, will any mint (working!) examples remain in 15-20 years?  I love my 360, but I don't expect it to still be alive and kicking that far down the line...

Big_Evil666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 Big_Evil666
Member since 2004 • 13817 Posts

maybe not in 5 years, but perhaps some day sure.

as for the Slim, i entered in to win one, and haven't heard anything as yet. but i'd never go buy one until at least my Elite crapped out on me