TwarBlackshire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 TwarBlackshire
Member since 2005 • 726 Posts

For those who have and play 3DO games, what would you say are a few 'must have' games?

**List of Recommended games from folks who posted in response to this question** 

Game/Member:

1. Star Control 2 (gmsnpr)

2. Samurai Shodown (gmsnpr)

3. Super SF 2 (gmsnpr)

4.Lucienne's Quest (gmsnpr/cosmostein77)

5. The Horde (gmsnpr)

6. Gex (pikadeth)

7. Road Rash (pikadeth)

8. Total Eclipse (pikadeth)

9. Street Fighter 2 (cosmostein77)

10. Primal Rage (cosmostein77)

*This is not in any particular order. If more people mention games that they think need to be on this list I will add them to this list. Thanks for all the input. Looking forward to giving some of these games a good look!

gmsnpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 gmsnpr
Member since 2004 • 4242 Posts

You've already got Star Control II and Samurai Shodown.  Other notables are Super SF 2, Lucienne's Quest and The Horde.

pikadeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 pikadeth
Member since 2004 • 1020 Posts
Gex and Road Rash are two of my favorites from my pitiful 3DO collection. I have yet to play all of them though.You don't seem to have Total Eclipse. Get that too. It should be cheap and easy to find.
cosmostein77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 102

#4 cosmostein77
Member since 2004 • 7043 Posts

What a great thread,

If only as a reason for me to realize I only had like 5 of my 3do games listed on my GS collection sheet. 

While there is no doubt people will disagree with me on this one, I think the version of Street Fighter II on 3DO is among the best that were released around that time (save for some of the loading issues) even Primal Rage is pretty solid. 

If you like RPG's might I suggest Lucienne's Quest

TwarBlackshire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TwarBlackshire
Thanks guys for the advice on some good 3DO games! I've actually compiled a list of your suggestions on the first post on this thread so that folks who have the same question will see it as one list. It would be cool to have some 'CCU Top Game Lists' for other consoles compiled in a similar fashion. Anyways thanks again.
cosmostein77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 102

#6 cosmostein77
Member since 2004 • 7043 Posts

Thanks guys for the advice on some good 3DO games! I've actually compiled a list of your suggestions on the first post on this thread so that folks who have the same question will see it as one list. It would be cool to have some 'CCU Top Game Lists' for other consoles compiled in a similar fashion. Anyways thanks again.TwarBlackshire

That is a great idea!

totalgridlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#7 totalgridlock
Member since 2004 • 1269 Posts

[QUOTE="TwarBlackshire"]Thanks guys for the advice on some good 3DO games! I've actually compiled a list of your suggestions on the first post on this thread so that folks who have the same question will see it as one list. It would be cool to have some 'CCU Top Game Lists' for other consoles compiled in a similar fashion. Anyways thanks again.cosmostein77

That is a great idea!

Seconded!

Though maybe for consoles with bigger libraries it would be a good idea to break down suggestions by genre - platformers, shmups, puzzle, etc - as I can see some lists getting rather large :)

mijahi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 mijahi
Member since 2009 • 895 Posts
[QUOTE="cosmostein77"]

[QUOTE="TwarBlackshire"]Thanks guys for the advice on some good 3DO games! I've actually compiled a list of your suggestions on the first post on this thread so that folks who have the same question will see it as one list. It would be cool to have some 'CCU Top Game Lists' for other consoles compiled in a similar fashion. Anyways thanks again.totalgridlock

That is a great idea!

Seconded!

Though maybe for consoles with bigger libraries it would be a good idea to break down suggestions by genre - platformers, shmups, puzzle, etc - as I can see some lists getting rather large :)

Third-ed? lol :P

I think something like this would be a great help...especially for some of the older and less popular systems. For example, I'd love to see a TG-16 and Saturn thread...just to help my own curiosities.

-=-

TwarBlackshire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TwarBlackshire

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll start different threads that have similar titles so that if someone was wanting to get some idea of some games to try/get for a new system they wouldn't need to post the question but would be able to find the CCU list easily for the system they were looking to get advice on.

Here are some ideas that could make compiling the list easier:

1. Limit each person to recommending no more than 5 games per category. (too high? too low?)

2. Encourage people to vote for their top games regardless if it those games have been voted for before. This will give a more accurate account of which games are more highly regarded as they will be ranked by how many votes they are given. 

3. Condense the categories into 'Fantasy', 'Shooters', 'Sports', and 'Miscellaneous'. 

a)Fantasy - Would include all RPG and Fantasy 2D scrolling games. 

b)Shooters - Pretty much self explained. All shooting games be it FPS's or 2D scrollers.

c)Sports - No explanation needed.

d)Miscellaneous - Anything from Simulation games, card games, adventure games, interactive fiction...the list goes on and on. Basically, anything that doesn't fit into the other categories would find its way into this list. 

If this will work I would enjoy compiling this information for the Union. Thoughts? Ideas? 

totalgridlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#10 totalgridlock
Member since 2004 • 1269 Posts

Good, but I think those categories need another look at.

Fantasy isn't really a genre... it's more of a theme.  It's not really helpful to lump all kinds of platformers, RPGs and so on together just because the main character wields a sword or fires off spells.  I wouldn't put something like Golden Axe in the same category as Dragon Quest - even though they both have a fantasy setting they have vastly different gameplay.  And what about sci-fi RPGs? They usually share most core gameplay elements with their fantasy brothers but they get lumped in the misc category because they have giant robots?  Personally, I tend to look for games with similar gameplay to what I've enjoyed in the past - themes and settings are of secondary concern - and I suspect most of us are the same.

Separating out sports and shooters is fine, but why just those two?  We've all got different tastes around here, and if we consider the point of splitting suggestions into categories is to inform others about new games to try, it would be the most helpful if we at least know what sort of game we're looking at.  Obviously there's no point in going overboard with endless genres and subgenres, but there's a few more core types of game that people go for than just sports and shooters... though it often doesn't seem like it these days!  ;) I really think it would be better to include just a few more categories, such as RPGs, platformers/side-scrollers, adventures/action-adventures, puzzles (maybe), racing (maybe).  It's hard to draw up a definitive list as each console has libraries that are weighted differently across genres.  For instance, it might be prudent to include a FPS section for later generation consoles, and lose the platform section ;)

Also, just another thought... I don't think you can put a limit on how many games people can suggest. There's a lot of high-quality games out there!  Maybe if we just throw open the floor to however many really good suggestions people care to make, and highlight the ones that get multiple shouts as the cream of the crop.

Hmm... apologies if it sounds like I'm dimissing your post.  Not my intention at all, I'm just trying to get a solid framework for what I reckon is a great idea. :)

TwarBlackshire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TwarBlackshire

Good, but I think those categories need another look at.

Fantasy isn't really a genre... it's more of a theme.  It's not really helpful to lump all kinds of platformers, RPGs and so on together just because the main character wields a sword or fires off spells.  I wouldn't put something like Golden Axe in the same category as Dragon Quest - even though they both have a fantasy setting they have vastly different gameplay.  And what about sci-fi RPGs? They usually share most core gameplay elements with their fantasy brothers but they get lumped in the misc category because they have giant robots?  Personally, I tend to look for games with similar gameplay to what I've enjoyed in the past - themes and settings are of secondary concern - and I suspect most of us are the same.

totalgridlock

I agree. I guess I didn't put a ton of thought into the genres, it was mostly that I wanted to get the general idea down and get some feedback which I'm glad worked :) I could see after posting that my 4 categories were not going to cut it so I agree with your point. 

Separating out sports and shooters is fine, but why just those two?  We've all got different tastes around here, and if we consider the point of splitting suggestions into categories is to inform others about new games to try, it would be the most helpful if we at least know what sort of game we're looking at.  Obviously there's no point in going overboard with endless genres and subgenres, but there's a few more core types of game that people go for than just sports and shooters... though it often doesn't seem like it these days!  ;) I really think it would be better to include just a few more categories, such as RPGs, platformers/side-scrollers, adventures/action-adventures, puzzles (maybe), racing (maybe).  It's hard to draw up a definitive list as each console has libraries that are weighted differently across genres.  For instance, it might be prudent to include a FPS section for later generation consoles, and lose the platform section ;)

totalgridlock

I agree. I think the easiest way to divvy up the games into categories is simply use Gamespot's database for categorizing each game. As people would post their favorites then I'll just assign them to the categories given by GS. Create as I go. If some games need clarification that can be added easily.

Also, just another thought... I don't think you can put a limit on how many games people can suggest. There's a lot of high-quality games out there!  Maybe if we just throw open the floor to however many really good suggestions people care to make, and highlight the ones that get multiple shouts as the cream of the crop.

totalgridlock

Agreed! The more the merrier.

Hmm... apologies if it sounds like I'm dimissing your post.  Not my intention at all, I'm just trying to get a solid framework for what I reckon is a great idea. :)

totalgridlock

I quite enjoyed the feedback. Thanks so much for getting into it with me. I think this idea could be good fun in putting together and if it goes ahead I would love to get as much help as possible. This thread is kinda off topic so maybe we can keep discussing in a new one. I'll start one tomorrow unless someone else wants to before then. Cheers... 

lozengez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#12 lozengez
Member since 2011 • 490 Posts

Return Fire by far for me.

Sadly I only have 11 games for the system. I wish I had more.

KGKaiju

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 KGKaiju
Member since 2010 • 861 Posts
I really should break out my 3DO.  Of all of the members here, I believe that I have the most 3DO games.  Hey Twar, are you still interested in having this question answered?
TwarBlackshire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TwarBlackshire

I really should break out my 3DO. Of all of the members here, I believe that I have the most 3DO games. Hey Twar, are you still interested in having this question answered?KGKaiju

Of course, and who better to answer it than you! Thanks for popping your head back into the CCU! I was just playing my 3DO yesterday. Love it!

KGKaiju

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 KGKaiju

[QUOTE="KGKaiju"]I really should break out my 3DO. Of all of the members here, I believe that I have the most 3DO games. Hey Twar, are you still interested in having this question answered?TwarBlackshire

Of course, and who better to answer it than you! Thanks for popping your head back into the CCU! I was just playing my 3DO yesterday. Love it!

Okay....I will see if I can get to my system.  If so, I will have to get back with you on this.

I am glad to be back....:D...though I will try my best to make sure that I am not just visiting sporadically.   Even though I am not collecting like I once was, I still missed the contact with this forum in my absence.  By the way,what game were you playing?

TwarBlackshire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 TwarBlackshire
[QUOTE="TwarBlackshire"]

[QUOTE="KGKaiju"]I really should break out my 3DO. Of all of the members here, I believe that I have the most 3DO games. Hey Twar, are you still interested in having this question answered?KGKaiju

Okay....I will see if I can get to my system. If so, I will have to get back with you on this.

I am glad to be back....:D...though I will try my best to make sure that I am not just visiting sporadically. Even though I am not collecting like I once was, I still missed the contact with this forum in my absence. By the way,what game were you playing?

*Drum roll*....and the game is...DOOM! lol

I crack up every time I play Doom. It was quite the smash hit when it came out so I get all nostalgic every time I play it.

KGKaiju

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 KGKaiju

Ah yes.....Doom......a game that I have for the Jaguar and 32X.........but not the 3DO.  It would be interesting to do a graphical comparison between the 3DO and Jaguar versions of the game. 

I have some bad news......I can't get to either of my 3DO systems.  They are barricaded in by video game racks that are in turn stacked in by loose video games....and there currently is no room in which to move them around to allow access.  I am taking steps to remedy the problem....but unfortunately steps must first be made in my bedroom before the video game room will show any desirable results.  

TwarBlackshire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TwarBlackshire

Ah yes.....Doom......a game that I have for the Jaguar and 32X.........but not the 3DO. It would be interesting to do a graphical comparison between the 3DO and Jaguar versions of the game.

I have some bad news......I can't get to either of my 3DO systems. They are barricaded in by video game racks that are in turn stacked in by loose video games....and there currently is no room in which to move them around to allow access. I am taking steps to remedy the problem....but unfortunately steps must first be made in my bedroom before the video game room will show any desirable results.

KGKaiju

Your situation is hilarious to me. I love the no-space-left issue that you face. I hope to achieve that one day! ;)

KGKaiju

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 KGKaiju
[QUOTE="KGKaiju"]

Ah yes.....Doom......a game that I have for the Jaguar and 32X.........but not the 3DO. It would be interesting to do a graphical comparison between the 3DO and Jaguar versions of the game.

I have some bad news......I can't get to either of my 3DO systems. They are barricaded in by video game racks that are in turn stacked in by loose video games....and there currently is no room in which to move them around to allow access. I am taking steps to remedy the problem....but unfortunately steps must first be made in my bedroom before the video game room will show any desirable results.

TwarBlackshire

Your situation is hilarious to me. I love the no-space-left issue that you face. I hope to achieve that one day! ;)

LOL Yeah, it's come down to the move-stuff-from-one-room-to-another-to-make-room-and-then-repeat-for-each-additional-room stage.  I will eventually get this straightened out but who knows where everything will end up when I am through. :P