Why are TV/Movie/Comics/WWE articles showing up in the main feed instead of the entertainment feed where they belong?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

suicidesn0wman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By suicidesn0wman
Member since 2006 • 7490 Posts

Are you guys that out of touch with what your audience wants? Did you already forget the reason why the Entertainment link was added to your menu up top?

This is a gaming site, stop forcing other mediums down our throats. If we wanted to go to IGN for this **** we would.

punksterdaddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#2 punksterdaddy
Member since 2010 • 1410 Posts

@suicidesn0wman:

Hey there manny, how's it going?

I just created a poll on this very same subject. Lol.

After I posted it, I was told that it was moved to the bug reporting forums... why is that? Have I done something wrong by creating a poll?

I created it because of the volume of non gaming news in the news section lately, well that and the number of up votes the article appeared to have and yet only one comment. 120 up votes and only one comment... and it is always the movie/tv stuff that has this discrepancy. *rubs chin* Hmmm, why would that be I wonder?

suicidesn0wman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 suicidesn0wman

@punksterdaddy: TBH I saw it and replied, it was already moved when I found it. lol

It was moved because the specific topic is quite literally 'site feedback', but I bet it would have gotten more responses if it were left elsewhere. Better selection as well, as most people come here to complain, which will skew results towards the negative side.

The non gaming news stuff is something that many complained about before, which led to them adding the Entertainment link up top. Things had been good until about a week or two ago, now they're shoving the non-gaming content on us again.

I specifically left IGN because I wanted just gaming news, nothing else. If gamespot is going to turn into IGN lite, I may as well go back to IGN, content there is much higher quality.

larkanderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 7

#4 larkanderson
Member since 2004 • 2227 Posts

@punksterdaddy: @suicidesn0wman:Just saw this thread--this is a bug, and should not be happening. We'll get that fixed, thanks!

punksterdaddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By punksterdaddy

@suicidesn0wman:

Yes I know, you were the one guy I mentioned in my response to the mod whom moved it.

He said it was to let the staff have a better chance of reading it. Well that is not what I wanted at all, of course the staff are going to say they love the movie/tv contenet in the news section and then everybody else that would have taken part are now not going to see it unless they are going to complain about something.

It feels like damage control, you know? Whether it is or not I can't say but it has left me with a horrible vibe from the forums, the last post I made upset everybody and now this one has upset a moderator who's answers made no sense to me.

You are right regarding IGN, they are good at what they do but I don't like what they do. I always liked Gamespot's content and community and yet despite me giving the site chance after chance to get better, it keeps getting worse.

I get why they want to cover entertainment too but they have just mirrored IGN, nobody needs that. They should have gone the other way and became all about the games like no other site has done, cornered the game market and game exclusives but no we just get another site talking about comic book movies and tv shows to go with the countless others.

Sad

suicidesn0wman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 suicidesn0wman

@LarkAnderson: Thanks for the reply. I'm glad to hear this was unintentional.

Just out of curiosity, how often do you guys hire competent php programmers?

punksterdaddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 punksterdaddy

@LarkAnderson:

What is a bug? The entertainment news appearing with the gaming news? Well that is good to know.

Any chance you can get the mods to stop trying to control everything too? Lol.

larkanderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By larkanderson

@punksterdaddy: Yes, it's a bug that entertainment-related content is showing up on the news door (as opposed to the entertainment door).

As for the mods, it's sort of their job to control things? If you have specific issues and believe that they're overstepping their bounds, however, feel free to reach out to @digitaldame.

punksterdaddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 punksterdaddy

@LarkAnderson:

Yes to control certain things like moderation of comments but surely not everything? Should they have the right on controlling who sees my harmless poll I set up in the off topic boards? The poll was moved and because of that it has killed it, as I knew it would.

I wasn't being negative, I wanted to hear everybody's thoughts on the entertainment content appearing in the news section (of which I did not know was a bug) within minutes it was moved to here apparently so that it would have "A better chance of being viewed by the staff." That was not what I wanted though, it was not a question for staff members but despite my protests, I got told not to be rude, when I wasn't being so. It was a poll for the community.

So is that over stepping their bounds, because I don't know where their bounds are? If this is going to continue, then why bother asking anybody to take part?

None of this matters any more due to what you said, but yes I believe the mod robbed me of an interesting discussion and over stepped their bounds. I can already guess that you are going to agree with this position, I do not... obviously.

I see no benefit from moving the post from a busier place for the gaming community over to a board that is meant mostly for reporting bugs and giving feedback. If I wanted staff feedback on the matter then yes, but why would I ask the staff this, when I know what they are likely to say?

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 2

#11 rick
Member since 2013 • 913 Posts

@suicidesn0wman: We're about to have an opening on dev staff here. You want to apply?

suicidesn0wman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 suicidesn0wman

@edgework: If only the answer could be a simple yes. I'm guessing on the slim chance you guys liked my resume/app, I'd have to relocate(guessing west). I plan to relocate out west, but not this year, tail end of next year is the current goal.

suicidesn0wman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 suicidesn0wman

@LarkAnderson said:

@suicidesn0wman:Just saw this thread--this is a bug, and should not be happening. We'll get that fixed, thanks!

Any progress on this? It's been 9 days...

larkanderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 larkanderson

We've made the fix, and it will be released either tomorrow or Monday. Thanks!

suicidesn0wman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 suicidesn0wman

@LarkAnderson: Yay!

larkanderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 larkanderson

@suicidesn0wman: This fix was released earlier today. Thanks for reporting it!

suicidesn0wman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By suicidesn0wman

@LarkAnderson: Literally tried it out just now, it's still broke. No screenshot this time, but the text on page was this...

{"success":1,"voteFailed":false,"buttonCount":"<span class=\"upvote-btn__count\">You and 1 other upvoted this forum message.<\/span>","csrfToken":"q4LU8BU74uZeKL5bA\/D\/wzeRi6RnzJ9UgWdMyYuHZ+WIXdmnT6sld0wfQA==","csrfTokenId":"56f49a4460c62"} 

Windows 10 Chrome Version 48.0.2564.116 m
larkanderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 larkanderson

@suicidesn0wman: We fixed the issue with entertainment content showing up in the news door--the issue with upvoting will be addressed shortly.

suicidesn0wman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 suicidesn0wman

@LarkAnderson: Helps to pay attention to what thread I'm on doesn't it?