Stop adding features and start working on performance!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Nelien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Nelien
Member since 2007 • 52 Posts

Gamespot.com is my number one gaming website, I visit it frequently several times a day and I keep getting amazed by it's content and features, however there's only one reason I haven't become a Total Access user yet (and I've thought of it for a long time now).

The reason is simple: the site is far too slow! I have high speed broadband, I browse several websites with tons of content, images, effects, etc but none are as slow as Gamespot. It's a shame being such a great website that you can't work more on performance and speed. Some pages take such a huge amount of time to load that it takes my memories back to the old dial-up modem times...

Seriously now, some serious work needs to be put into this, you can't say it's because of the amount of content because I know many sites with lots of contents without slow-downs. You can't say it's because of the amount of traffic because there are sites (for example the video-sites out there) that have a lot of traffic without hindering the browsing experience.

So before you start adding new cool features start working on speed!! And I will join you as Total Access in no time! I'm even willing to pay more than the 3 bucks a month it costs.

Ryo_Kensen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#2 Ryo_Kensen
Member since 2005 • 3480 Posts
It loads fine for me.
Agreb91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#3 Agreb91
Member since 2005 • 7169 Posts
I don't have problems with its loading speed.
mike7677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mike7677
Member since 2006 • 2426 Posts
What browser are you using?
yian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 yian
Member since 2003 • 5166 Posts
We had some serious loading time issue a while back, but everything seems to be fine right now. Which pages and feature are you having problem with?
Nelien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Nelien

Well, this is new. I was expecting at least someone with the same "problem".

I use Firefox 2 so I doubt it's my browser (and don't say I should use IE or something like that cause I wont) and my internet connection is working fine (downloads at around 1Mb/s). Are you all sure that you don't feel Gamespot loads at least a small bit slower than other sites? I find it that it sometimes works quite well (around 1-2 seconds to load a page) while other times it takes around 5-8 seconds to load a page (wich is horrendously slow in my opinion), is this your view of "fine" webspeed?

mdagli1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mdagli1
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

Actually, that does happen occasionally for me. I think it's just to due with the influx of traffic during the day.

The biggest thing that bugs me is the ridiculously slow file transfer rate when downloading from GS.

40KB/s and bellow?!? jeez... (streaming is actually OK, ATM.)

Nelien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Nelien

Actually downloads from GS are working just fine for me (around 300kb/s when using the DLmanager and something between 50-300kb/s without).

In any concern I think there should be some more work put done on the fitness of the webcode since I know it can be optimized further. Most of you say you don't have problems, which is surprising, however I'm quite certain there are many of you that think like me and as long as there are speed problems my opinion is that they should be worked on FIRST and not keep adding features to bog the code down further.

Agreb91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#9 Agreb91
Member since 2005 • 7169 Posts
I'll admit some pages on the site load pretty slow, compared to other pages on the site. But it is not the entire site itself.
PS3RULE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 PS3RULE
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
The gamespot website is entirely WAY TOO SLOW, period.  I have tested it from many connection and IPS.  I have high speed cable and high speed dsl at home and the page load times are ridiculously slow.   From my day job with a full T1, it is slow and from my friend office with a DS3 it is also slow.  The site is annoyingly slow. Pleas fix asap.
fastesttruck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 fastesttruck
Member since 2005 • 25353 Posts
It loads fast for me. Every now and then I find a slow page, but 95% of the time the site loads fine and fast.
Nelien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Nelien

Maybe this is a localization problem? US users might have an easier time with the loading times than EU users? PS3RULE: where do you browse from?

Maybe I'm talking gibberish here but it would explain why some of us have speed problems while others don't (aside from ISP-differences). 

Zevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Zevy
Member since 2006 • 94 Posts

As said over here, a while back ago it was slow as [Insert bad name here], then it went fine again, but now, it's the same old. The only thing I get good speeds as is the Downloads which goes with 1300-2000 kb/s (with the download manager)

I hope it will get faster again any time soon now, and by the way, does it matter that I live in western Europe? (I really think it shouldn't since the site actually were faster before.)

_Sam_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 _Sam_
Member since 2003 • 31483 Posts
I'd have to agree. They should also concentrate on fixing most of the bugs on the site. New features are always nice, but there are way too many features that have been implemented but not improved :(
fastesttruck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 fastesttruck
Member since 2005 • 25353 Posts
I'd have to agree. They should also concentrate on fixing most of the bugs on the site. New features are always nice, but there are way too many features that have been implemented but not improved :(_Sam_
Such as the editor in our Sig Box. It doesnt stay in one place. I thought someone was trying to fix it...
gotgame91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 gotgame91
Member since 2005 • 7460 Posts
I have to agree with this one. In general, the site just loads slowly all together.
joeyp7711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#17 joeyp7711
Member since 2005 • 3903 Posts
I also think that the website runs really slowly, on numerous occasions, when other websites are running fast. No idea why, but sometimes it runs fine, sometimes rather temperamental.
Avatar image for squirrelgrrrl84
squirrelgrrrl84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 squirrelgrrrl84
Member since 2004 • 298 Posts
the performance of this site is absolutely awful. it's bad to the point that i go to ign first to get all my news and reviews and whatnot, then i come here if i have a little free time left. i use safari in osx mostly, though i get similarly poor results in firefox and on a windows pc using firefox. not only do pages load extremely slow (upwards of 45 seconds/page on a 6mbps cable connection), but everytime i open a page in a new tab, the browser freezes for about 20 seconds. if i have more than 2 gamespot tabs open at a time, forget about it. this weekend, i literally clicked two links to open in tabs, went and made some coffee, and came back in time to see the page finish loading (it's usually not quite that bad, but still pretty bad). for me, it's on every page as well, except the window that opens when browsing images (though that page has it's own set of problems).
Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 Bourbons3
Member since 2003 • 24238 Posts
I agree, the site is too slow. Even if I use firefox, its still slow. Even Alexa ranks it as "Very Slow", with 93% of other sites being faster.
zeus_gb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#20 zeus_gb
Member since 2004 • 7793 Posts
I sometimes get problems in the evenings (GMT).  I assume it's just pure usage.
Nelien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Nelien

I agree, the site is too slow. Even if I use firefox, its still slow. Even Alexa ranks it as "Very Slow", with 93% of other sites being faster.Bourbons3

Now we're talking, with sites like Alexa giving GS such a horrible ranking it should open the eyes of the developers. Well, can we hear some response? Are you working on anything or do you wish to loose paying customers due to this?

I actually became a Total Access member yesterday because I simply love the site anyway but if GS wish to offer good service to it's customers something should be done. I payed for one year and I can assure you that if nothing has been done by the end of my membership I won't renew it.

Cheers ;). 

ellifizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ellifizz
Member since 2007 • 127 Posts
tooo slow ... so slow that I'm thinking of just giving up.  who has the time?
Abi79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Abi79
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
It all depends on how close you are to the server. Consider using GameSpot UK. Anyway, I'm from Eastern Europe, and the site loads fast for me (and I have an even worse connection).
Nelien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Nelien

It all depends on how close you are to the server. Consider using GameSpot UK. Anyway, I'm from Eastern Europe, and the site loads fast for me (and I have an even worse connection).Abi79

Well well, there you said something.. Silly enough I'm in Europe and never tried the uk hosted GS site (www. was just so natural). Trying it now and to my great surprise it's actually considerably faster! I'm not going to end my case here since I haven't tested it thoroughly yet, but I can say that more people should try this and see if their speed goes up!

A hint to GS though is to have the server automatically redirect European users to the UK version so that people like me doesn't fall in the trap again. Shouldn't be hard to do right?

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Dracula68
Member since 2002 • 33109 Posts

Shouldn't be hard to do right?

Nelien

Technically there is a link at the bottom of every page you visit so it really shouldn't be that hard to see and click on. UK.GameSpot.com