Protect our Game Forums

This topic is locked from further discussion.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

I would like to suggest a safeguard system to help keep trolls out of Gamespot: nothing is more frustrating than seeing a "member" who posts nothing but complaints in nearly every game thread made, yet this "complainer" has absolutely zero games in their profile.

And why is Gamespot allowing members who don't have any games in their collection to post a review on a game? That makes no sense whatsoever. No collection, then you cannot post any reviews: that's the way it should be.

Option 1 (Gamespot-centered):

Make it mandatory to have games in your collection or you're blocked from posting, e.g., if you don't have any PC games, you can't post in the PC forum. You have to have 360 games to post in the Xbox forum, and so on.

Option 2 (Web-centered):

Bioware does this in their forums, btw. You have to have entered your License Key for a game (such as Mass Effect) in order to be allowed to post in Bioware's Mass Effect Forum.

Gamespot could implement a safeguard where a member would have to enter the Serial Number for their hardware (PC, Xbox, PS3 serial number). The servers would check the entered Serial Number against the manufacturer's database. If the check fails, the member cannot post.

Open forums such as Off-Topic and System Wars would not be affected.

LGTX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#2 LGTX
Member since 2009 • 858 Posts

What if someone wants to discuss, speculate and build up expectations? Ask for system requirements/recommendations? That's not flood or off-topic. It would have been long-done if such tactics were profitable:

Option 1 is particularly illogical to me. Like you're trying to eliminate fanboysm with one sweep. Trust me, I would do that if I could, but the feedback will be horrible, many users will be lost.

spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#3 spazzx625
Member since 2004 • 43433 Posts
I think the first option would just confuse folks that legitimately want to post...And if people wanted to troll a forum and knew all they had to do was add a game, they would do it and continue trolling until being struck by the banhammer. The 2nd option is fine for a forum like Bioware, but in practice here, I don't see it working. I wouldn't want to fish out my serial number to post somewhere. Again, it would turn away too many legit users. I just don't see either as viable options for keeping trolls away, I see them more as deterrents for everyone.
WeaponXY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 WeaponXY
Member since 2009 • 1280 Posts
My main problem with these ideas is if somebody interested in buying a certain console wanted to come in and ask questions. For example, a father wants to buy an Xbox 360 for his son for Christmas but isn't sure what kind of features or games his kid would enjoy. It would cut down on spam, yes, but it would decrease the simplicity in using GameSpot drastically. It isn't a bad idea to decrease the amount of spam we're getting on the site, and I think the best idea I've seen was users needing to be a certain level to post. For example, a Level 3 or above would only be allowed to post in forums to decrease new accounts coming in and spamming up the forums.
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#5 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

I think the first option would just confuse folks that legitimately want to post...And if people wanted to troll a forum and knew all they had to do was add a game, they would do it and continue trolling until being struck by the banhammer. The 2nd option is fine for a forum like Bioware, but in practice here, I don't see it working. I wouldn't want to fish out my serial number to post somewhere. Again, it would turn away too many legit users. I just don't see either as viable options for keeping trolls away, I see them more as deterrents for everyone.spazzx625

Okay spazzx, let's look at the idea of eliminating alt accounts: only GS Staff should have them, anyway. Allowing alt accounts just opens the door for people that have bad feelings against Gamespot (like D_S, for example).