Promotion of dishonest sites on the forums

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Quetzi74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Quetzi74
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

The Minecraft forums are full of posts promoting sites with a history of redistributing mods without permission, posting old mod versions as new updates and other IP theft. My own logo has been watermarked by one of these sites and is being used to promote an unauthorised download of my mod.

These sites are clearly using gamespot forums to generate backlinks which means that the lack of moderation on that board is helping to promote shady downloads (and more likely, malware distribution). Minecraft is a game that appeals to a young demographic that is easily misled by these sites. As far as I can tell there are no useful posts in that board and the best course of action would be to close/ban all existing mod posts or close the board entirely.

I have resisted sending a DMCA for my content because I can see that the problem isn't an isolated incident. The board is a mess and needs moderating.

Profilia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Profilia  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 2226 Posts

Whoa. That is a messy board indeed. I'll start keeping an eye on it.

I don't know anything about Minecraft or the mods for it, but what they are doing definitely falls under spamming/advertising, which is not allowed on this website. Mods can't mass-delete threads, so I have to remove them one at a time. It'll take a while, but it will get cleaned up.

Quetzi74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Quetzi74
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts