How do you perceive GS if you are colorblind?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JodyR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 JodyR
Member since 2005 • 16454 Posts

Some people are colorblind and content on a website can blend together. Others just dont know the difference of colors and it might be because they dont know that they are color blind, or they just dont know color terms.

If you don't know if you are colorblind or you are curious how to determine this, check these color blindness tests.

Feel free to leave any input about certain pages or areas on the site where the colors blend too much together.

Thanks

JusticeCovert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2 JusticeCovert
Member since 2002 • 1819 Posts

Not sure how I didn't notice it before, but with the new rarity stuff used for achievements on the site, the blue (rare) and purple (epic) borders look the same to me - especially when they're right next to each other.

Sidburn19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Sidburn19  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 4715 Posts

I'm colour blind, but I have never noticed anything on the site that I couldn't see due to the colours on the site.

dapman418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#5 dapman418
Member since 2009 • 14899 Posts

I'm not colorblind, but I do know someone who is. He says that he especially has trouble differentiating green from orange and purplefrom blue. I don't have any trouble, but I can understand other people having issues.

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#6 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

I'm not colorblind but I do know people who are. I think it is a valid concern, especially with the Fuse Beta using all of these colors for comparing achievements. Maybe a new method needs to be divised where these things are shown as rare/epic/legendary or what have you in a different way rather than a colored border.

Freakazoidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 Freakazoidian
Member since 2004 • 199 Posts

Yeah, a lettered tag would clear all ambiguity from achievement colors at least.

starhawk55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 starhawk55
Member since 2004 • 285 Posts
The most common form of color blindness is Red-Green, and males have a much higher chance of having it. One of my male friends was complaining about his GameBoy SP years ago because he could never tell when the battery was about to die. This is when I found out he was color bind and could not tell the the difference between the green battery happy light, and the red charge me light. I also think that there should be some way other than color to tell the rarity of achievements. Also know that many blind people use text readers to use the web, so adding some text (like 1 to x) might be a good way to solve this.
Azghouls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 314

#9 Azghouls
Member since 2006 • 815 Posts

I'm 99% colour blind. I can see colours however cannot determine the shades at all - e.g. red / green, green / brown, blue / purple, orange / yellow and so on. And as mentioned in @starhawk55 post, the DS has that green / red battery indicator! And yep my DS always ran out of battery at the wrong time!

I was hoping that the colours change in the achievements section - it's a nightmare determining legendary from uncommon and epic to rare. But legendary from uncommon is easier to determine due to the positioning of the achievements however epic and rare...I'm totally lost :(

As a matter of interest, the way I solve these 'colour issues' is by comparing an object that I was taught deemed to have the correct colour. E.g the sun is yellow, the sky is blue, the grass is green and so forth. So if I see a colour that I cannot determine (e.g yellow) my brain will try and compare - in this case the sun. It works most of the time...

Yet I grew up with this therefore I taught myself other ways to overcome this. E.g. online I always play the red team because red blends too well with other colours than blue so if I'm blue it's goodbye charlie!

*edit* BTW - what exactly is 'As Seen on GameSpot' and 'Top 500 Community Reviewers' - is that epic or rare? Thanks.

gmax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 gmax  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 6865 Posts
No color blindness here. Kind of the other way, actually. I have a lot of color acuity. I know artists who have amazing color acuity. In a lot of cases I think it comes as much from the mind as the eye. Anyway, for those actually afflicted with color blindness - my sympathies! Regarding the issue at hand. I don't like the wide color borders around the large emblems anyway. We went from 99x99 emblems to 64x64 emblems and what we got were huge wide borders. My suggestion: ditch the wide borders and go back to the 99x99s. If the rarity thing is that important, include some other small indicator - perhaps off to one side or the other - that is geometrically coded as well as color coded. Done correctly, you'd still be able to distinguish the rarities if the screen were desaturated all the way to black and white. As another suggestion, please double check the rarity classifications - if it's really supposed to be "rarity," emblems that 10 users have probably shouldn't merely be epic while emblems that dozes or hundreds of users have are legendary. (Assuming legendary was supposed to be more rare than epic.) It's probably a bit off topic here, but I'd also like to lobby for getting the 38x38s back for the small emblems. Profiles are currently stretching 32x32s out to 38x38 (which "wrinkles" them or blurs them, depending on the browser). That being the case, why not just go back to the original 38x38s? One other color-blindedness note - make sure your monitor/display device is actually working correctly. Some monitors may not do a very good job of displaying certain colors well enough to distinguish them. And if it really comes down to it, have someone else double check what you're seeing, if possible. Most monitors are not calibrated very well, and they aren't really intended for testing color blindness anyway.

magnusm1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 magnusm1
Member since 2009 • 918 Posts

I feel sorry for all the people in the world that are color-blind, I can`t imagine a life without colors. :*(

iowastate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#13 iowastate
Member since 2004 • 7922 Posts

Not sure how I didn't notice it before, but with the new rarity stuff used for achievements on the site, the blue (rare) and purple (epic) borders look the same to me - especially when they're right next to each other.

JusticeCovert

It is a form of colour blindness - I also have trouble with the red. I can not distinguish shades of red. for example pink and purple are light and dark shades of the same thing and when something is typed in yellow on the white background I don't see it at all.

Freakazoidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 Freakazoidian
Member since 2004 • 199 Posts

Yahoo! I am very pleased with the new color for rare achievements, now I can tell the difference without issue.