Gamespot video reviews can be improved

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CheeSinLouz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 CheeSinLouz
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

I understand the reviewers have been trying hard to improve on presentation skills. But that said, unless professionally trainned, reviewers should remain reviewers. Writing a review is one thing, presenting is another. Body movement, intonation etc all are important to deliver a good presentation. The fact that the script for the video presentation is 99% same as the written script (which takes faster to load) doesn't help either.

My suggestion? Hire professional presenters, preferably female which will heavily attract your target audience.

• Male: 97%
  • Average age: 24 years
  • Ages 18-34 years: 66%; Ages 18-49: 76%

Will not be attracted to big sized guys. Ask CNET networks entertainment for more budget.

spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#2 spazzx625
Member since 2004 • 43433 Posts

I'm curious where you got those user statistics from...

But to me, this just sounds like taking the G4 approach to things. I would rather hear what the reviewer says straight from his/her mouth. Instead of using the budget on that, they should simply get more reviewers to churn out more reviews for games with a narrower audience.

Kevin-V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3 Kevin-V
Member since 2006 • 5418 Posts

We will not be hiring talking heads to take the place of our reviewers in video reviews, not do those statistics come anywhere near reality regarding our own audience. Furthermore, while not all video reviews use the text from the written review, most do during this time of year because our writing staff is stretched thin. Writing a completely different script in addition to a full review is a time-consuming endeavor that doesn't often make sense in the busiest time of the year, given that the information imparted is the same--simply worded differently.

That said, we are always looking to improve our on-camera personas and we appreciate the feedback. However, we do not hire "personalities" to represent our editorial staff; I think our audience wants information, and prefers not to be patronized with the addition of a professional presenter, especially when it's clear that what you mean by "professional presenter" is "attractive woman." That isn't, and never will be, GameSpot.

Sondra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Sondra
Member since 2006 • 179 Posts
Oh, Kevin. No one could replace you. ;)