Gamespot site color theme toggle bug(s)?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Slagar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Slagar
Member since 2003 • 271 Posts

In the top-right corner of the site, just below the login area, there is a white/black color theme toggle - the "a|a" button.

I prefer the white theme as I find it easier on my eyes.

For some reason the site doesn't remember my choice, or only remembers it inconsistently. When I come back to the site, or refresh the page, it is black again. When I click the toggle button, it only works sporadically - e.g. white/black/black/black/black/black/white/black - when logically it should toggle from black to white with every click.

I've been finding it a real nuisance when I visit the site. I use Firefox (latest). I tried testing the site in Chrome, and I have a near opposite problem - the site only shows the white theme, e.g. clicking the toggle button gives me white/white/white/white/white/white.

I'm sorry if this is a known issue or has been posted before; I didn't see it anywhere :)

I hope this post helps you improve the site. Cheers.

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts

Have you tried to clearing your browser's cache? That seems to be a common fix for most problems on the site.

iBuSHiDo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 iBuSHiDo
Member since 2007 • 174 Posts

I've been having the same problem. I'm using chrome and I prefer the black background with white text, but it's like a roll of the dice every time I visit the site. Sometimes it remembers my preference, but most of the time it switches back to white. The weird thing is that if i try to click the lower "a" to switch it to the way I like it, it doesn't let me click it, as if it's already the one that is selected. So I can only click the top "a" and it makes it stay the same. Then I have to click the lower "a" and sometimes it fixes it, and other times it still remains white. It's pretty annoying to have to do that every time I get to the site. 

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts
I've been having the same problem.
iBuSHiDo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 iBuSHiDo
Member since 2007 • 174 Posts

This is still happening to me and I've tried everything. It's really annoying to set it to the black theme so it doesn't burn my eyes out and then come back and like 80% of the time it's back to an all white page. I can't click the black theme cuz for some reason the site thinks that's the theme its displaying. So them I have to click the white theme and sometimes that switches it to black. However, I can't leave that alone because then it leaves the setting on white so when it actually does what it's supposed to, I gotta switch it again. If it stays white when I switch to white, I then have to click back and forth from white to black a few times before the black kicks in. Sometimes it doesn't do it at all. 

So yeah, still there and still really annoying. Is it being addressed at all?

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts
Unlikely since 90% of the tech guys are busy with the new site. Just hold out for a while longer.