Feedback thread for GameSpot Video Player Beta

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

StanleyL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 StanleyL
Member since 2004 • 1280 Posts

GameSpot Mods, Total Access, and Plus members should see a new button above their video players today. Click that button to see the new video player we currently have in development. There is also a form on the page to submit feedback and bug reports, though if you have thoughts and opinions you can share them here as well. A number of items I want to call your attention to:

1.) New streaming options, choose between progressive download, dynamic streaming, or static streaming.
2.) New bitrates, we now offer two new HD bitrates, 1200k and 2000k
3.) HD viewing experience, flip back and forth between the SD and HD versions of the videos
4.) Bitrate indicator, tells you what quality you are watching the video at.

Some notes about the beta test itself:

1.) Easy access to the new player is only visible to Total Access and Plus subscribers, but anyone can access the new player just by adding ?newplayer=1 to the end of the URL. For example:

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/adventure/ratchetandclankacrackintime/video/6238204/ratchet--clank-future-a-crack-in-time-video-review?newplayer=1

2.) Embedding video options are currently not available, we'll be adding that in shortly.
3.) If you have feedback to submit, use the form on the page. If you want to provide feedback in this thread, please provide a link to the URL you viewed the video on, as well as your OS, browser, and exact version of Flash. You can check your version of Flash by visiting http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ and looking in the box titled "Version Information".
4.) If you have general questions about the new player, be sure to post them here. We're compiling a FAQ that will help explain all the new features.

Dan_Lero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 Dan_Lero
Member since 2006 • 7487 Posts

I can't get the video to appear at all, all i get is the "LOADING" circle and nothing more.

The videos i've tried include the one on my blog and a GS Video Review.

I'm running it on Mac OSX Snow Leopard 10.6.1, Firefox 3.5.3 and Flash Version 10,0,32,18

CyberMew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 CyberMew
Member since 2005 • 83 Posts
what are the streaming bitrates for, especially 1200k and 2000k for 540P HD? what is progressive download, dynamic streaming, or static streaming, and what are the differences?
StanleyL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 StanleyL

Dan_Lero: Can you estimate what % of the loading circle it gets stuck on?

CyberMew: We'll have a detailed FAQ to answer those soon, but the short of it is for now, bitrates represent the quality of the video yo uare watching. The higher the bitrate, the better the video. 1200k and 2000k are our HD streams. When watching in HD, you can choose either one.

Progressive download is when you see the video load ahead of the timeline bar. You'll be able to jump around within the portion of the video loaded. This is probably what most people are used to. Static streaming is when the video gets streamed to your player. The advantage of this is if you are watching a long video, like an episode of Today On the Spot, you can skip to the near end without waiting for it to load. The downside is you may run into buffering issues if your bandwidth isn't high enough. Dynamic streaming is similar to that, but the quality of the video will change based on your bandwidth and processing power. It will give you the stream that it calculates to be the most appropriate for you. The best way to learn about it is to just play with the settings yourself. And as I said before, we'll have a more detailed FAQ soon.

Dan_Lero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 Dan_Lero
Member since 2006 • 7487 Posts

Dan_Lero: Can you estimate what % of the loading circle it gets stuck on?StanleyL
The whole circle loads up, but then doesn't do anything afterwards.

msudude211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 msudude211
Member since 2006 • 44517 Posts

[QUOTE="StanleyL"]Dan_Lero: Can you estimate what % of the loading circle it gets stuck on?Dan_Lero

The whole circle loads up, but then doesn't do anything afterwards.

I was having the same problem this morning, but now it seems to be working.
StanleyL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 StanleyL
msudude221, did you do anything since this morning that would've affected the player? Broswer update, flash update, etc? We're constantly updating the player, but I want to know if there was anything on your end.
Jerell_rast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 Jerell_rast
Member since 2004 • 7095 Posts
Works great. I watched the R&C: A crack in time video Review. The bitrate indicator should point me to the advanced options in the menu if I want to change it IMO. It's currently linking me to the homepage.
gbrading

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#9 gbrading
Member since 2005 • 8085 Posts

Works very well, and I like the design. The only thing that happened to me was the FAQ link for the bitrate indicator occasionally took me to event:http//:cnet.com and the rest of the time to the GameSpot homepage.

StanleyL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 StanleyL

The FAQ isn't ready yet, so we're just defaulting to the home page for now.

hesel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 hesel
Member since 2006 • 2738 Posts
Nice looks a lot better than the other one, just a few points: I would prefer the ability to jump to certain sections of the video without having it to load up till that point. When the video has finished, if you want to replay it with the play button, it has to reload the video again.
msudude211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 msudude211
[QUOTE="StanleyL"]msudude221, did you do anything since this morning that would've affected the player? Broswer update, flash update, etc? We're constantly updating the player, but I want to know if there was anything on your end.

Nope, I didn't change anything.
Avatar image for Einhanderkiller
Einhanderkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Einhanderkiller
Member since 2003 • 13259 Posts
I really like this new video player. The quality is good and it's really fast. Takes less than a second to switch between SD and HD.
gmax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 gmax  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 6865 Posts
I guess these are sort of general questions... The player will not load for me, but I suspect I know why. The loading progress indicator gets to about 6 o'clock, maybe 6:30, and that's as far as it goes for anything I try it on. That happens with Flash 9 and 10 and at least a couple versions of Firefox. In one of my environments I actually get a debug dialog, telling me that an attempt to create a Flash shared object has failed. That doesn't surprise me, because I don't allow Flash shared objects on any of my machines. The questions... Will Flash shared objects be required to use the new video player? If so, I won't be able to use it. Is there a user-accessible debug log in the new video player? The current player has the ~ key thing, which can be handy. Thanks!

CyberMew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 CyberMew
how can i enable the beta permanently instead of clicking individually for each video?
IbnLaAhad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 IbnLaAhad
Member since 2009 • 1326 Posts

Works perfectly, though the video quality is a bit fuzzier than the old player.

Running it on Opera 10.01.

StanleyL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 StanleyL

hesel: You have that option, just change to static streaming or dynamic streaming.

Cybermew: The new video player is still just a beta test. We won't be rolling out a permanent viewing option until the video player is fully released.

gmax: I'll look in to that for you.

IbnLaAhad: Please check to see if you are comparing the same bitrates in the old player and new player. Also, if you have a specific video that shows markedly different qualities between players, let me know.

hank_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 hank_101
Member since 2008 • 890 Posts

I really like the new video player, the look and feel of it seems to be a lot better than the old one. It seems faster and snappier than the old one and didn't seem to take as much of a toll on the performance of my computer. I did think that the HD video wasn't as good as the old one though. Overall the new player is great and I am looking forward to see it make a permanent appearance here in all the Gamespot videos!

-DaNuTz-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 -DaNuTz-
Member since 2006 • 1430 Posts

Don't know why but when i try to watch that video firefox hangs and i get this error :?

zaphod_b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 zaphod_b
Member since 2002 • 2201 Posts

I didn't even realize the options and features you listed were there. Playing videos at the default setup, I can't say I notice a huge difference, but the interface is clean, clear, and non-intrusive, so I like it!

StanleyL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 StanleyL
-DaNuTz- : What is your OS, browser version, and flash version?
-DaNuTz-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 -DaNuTz-
Member since 2006 • 1430 Posts

-DaNuTz- : What is your OS, browser version, and flash version?StanleyL

Windows XP SP2, Firefox 3.5.4, Flash 10,0,32,18

I installed Opera 10.01 last night and the video works fine; Firefox just hangs or gets me that error. I guess i'll use Opera from now on. :)

Bluegreen17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Bluegreen17
Member since 2009 • 1061 Posts

I really like the new player. The screen size is great in both SD and HD (It's so big! :D), and the video is really clean and smooth for the sizes. When it's ready, will it become an option for the default player for everyone on GameSpot? Because I would quite like that! ^_^

woonsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 woonsa
Member since 2008 • 6322 Posts
This is a great piece of work, hd loads fast and looks great. I just don't know when to add ?newplayer=1, I added it on the tots videos url but don't seem to work, it didn't work in other video review also except for that ratchet one :?
StanleyL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 StanleyL
Bluegreen17: When we're done testing the new player, everything you see will become the default player for all of GS. But keep in mind, some videos don't have HD options anyways (DS, PSP, PS2 videos) woonsa: You can't change the Today On the Spot page, it's not enabled there. Also if it doesn't work on a normal video page, try &newplayer=1. (replace ? with &). We'll be making the button to view the new player visible to all logged-in users soon, so you may not need to bother with the URL fudging.
eug1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 eug1
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Nice looks a lot better than the other one, just a few points: I would prefer the ability to jump to certain sections of the video without having it to load up till that point. When the video has finished, if you want to replay it with the play button, it has to reload the video again.hesel
I agree with your points and second them!

samuraiguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 samuraiguns
Member since 2005 • 11588 Posts

GameTrailers changed their video player last week...and they said they will be adding user HD videos soon...

If this change means the latter... :D :D :D

Cobalt1365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Cobalt1365
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

I can't view any videos on the new player, the player gets stuck on the loading screen. I'm running Google Chrome v3.0.195.32 with updated flash on Vista Home Premium 32 bit. If i open up IE 8 the player works just fine. So what's up? No love for Chrome users?

StanleyL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 StanleyL

I can't view any videos on the new player, the player gets stuck on the loading screen. I'm running Google Chrome v3.0.195.32 with updated flash on Vista Home Premium 32 bit. If i open up IE 8 the player works just fine. So what's up? No love for Chrome users?

Cobalt1365
Hi Cobalt1365, can you tell me about where in the load screen it gets stuck on? We're aware of some issues with Chrome and are working on tracking the down.
ultimakay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ultimakay
Member since 2006 • 553 Posts

I am also a Google Chrome user and can't play videos. I have Google Chrome ver. 3.0.195.33, Adobe Flash Player 10 ver. 10.0.32.18, and Vista 64-bit Home Premium. The circle only gets to 1 o'clock and stays there. However the video that is embedded into the New Super Mario Bros Wii review works fine.

jcj19944

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jcj19944
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

I like the new player because it allows seeking to points that are not loaded for videos less than 10 mins.700k stream is now available to everyone so I can watch old vids that don't have an HD version at higher quality, but the video does looks a little blocky

CustNam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 CustNam
Member since 2009 • 97 Posts
I know people are going to say why are you even using the ps3 browser in the first place, and its because at the moment its all I have. Anyway I use to be able to watch all the videos and reviews, even in HD, I use gamespot reviews to help decide almost all my game purchases. But since they implemented a new video player I cant even watch them in SD. It just keeps closing windows trying to free up memory to play, then just goes blank. Is there anyway to revert my settings, or view using the old player? I looked through all my settings for the site and cant find anything. If theres a way Id really appreciate it. Thanks alot and God Bless.
sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#33 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

Google Chrome

Video player is recognized, loading circle appears, but the orange loading bar freezes immediately.

dr_jashugan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#34 dr_jashugan
Member since 2006 • 2665 Posts

Your new video player looks good with bigger buttons.

The ONLY thing that I regret is that it's SLOWER to download a video compared to the former player.

Hope you guys can improve on that part.

Thanks for your attention and your efforts. 8)

kelvin94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 kelvin94
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

THe new player loads longer than the old player.

sometimes when i play the video, it's kind of lagging

maldoror19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 478

#36 maldoror19
Member since 2008 • 360 Posts

if the video you are trying to play is not starting and is at the buffering stage, try turning off the ad-blocker for this site if you use one.

Also, to a mod out there, why is there even an ad before each video? Is this a permanent fixture? is there somewhere I can deplore this shameless idea; as if there isn't enough advertising on this website already. I don't mind adverts here and there.. but seriously!?

Kieth45623

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Kieth45623
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
Anyway I use to be able to watch all the videos and reviews, even in HD, I use gamespot reviews to help decide almost all my game purchases. But since they implemented a new video player I cant even watch them in SD.CustNam
Same here, I don't have a computer, I use my PS3. It won't load, the bar gets almost done (Almost completes the circle, like 90%), but before it loads I get a not enough memory error message. I have yellow dog linux on my PS3, and switched over to that, but it won't play the videos there either. I can (and am) downloading them to the harddrive using linux, but it is rather annoying having to wait 20 minutes just to watch one video. Any ideas on how to fix this would be appreciated. Thanks (the new player looks nice, btw).
NoDzombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 NoDzombie
Member since 2009 • 1483 Posts

on the old player i could watch everything no problem in HD,

now on the new player i cant watch anything, its incredibly slow to buffer even on the lowest settings i have 2 leave it buffering for 20minutes or so just to watch a 5 minute video

is there a way i can default back to the old player, or failing that anyone know how to fix this?

CyberMew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 CyberMew
Where is the FAQ?
StanleyL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 StanleyL

FAQ: http://gamespottv.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1311/session/

You can also see the link within the advanced options menu of the player.

msudude211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 msudude211
All of a sudden it hasn't been working for me on Safari - I get a never-ending "buffering" symbol.
Sheena321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Sheena321
Member since 2006 • 7489 Posts
I've noticed recently that a lot of trailers,gameplay vids etc, dont seem to be working. All I get is a never-ending buffering symbol, this seems to happen mainly when i try to watch vids for PS2 games, but I have noticed it with other vids too
double_decker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 double_decker
Member since 2006 • 146090 Posts
I've noticed recently that a lot of trailers,gameplay vids etc, dont seem to be working. All I get is a never-ending buffering symbol, this seems to happen mainly when i try to watch vids for PS2 games, but I have noticed it with other vids tooSheena321
If you can provide them with some specific links to the videos that aren't working for you it'd probably help them figure out the issue faster. :)
Sheena321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Sheena321
Member since 2006 • 7489 Posts

[QUOTE="Sheena321"]I've noticed recently that a lot of trailers,gameplay vids etc, dont seem to be working. All I get is a never-ending buffering symbol, this seems to happen mainly when i try to watch vids for PS2 games, but I have noticed it with other vids toodouble_decker
If you can provide them with some specific links to the videos that aren't working for you it'd probably help them figure out the issue faster. :)

Heres a few examples, as I said,Im seeing this problem mainly with vids for PS2 games.

http://uk.gamespot.com/ps2/adventure/galeriansash/video/2895502/galerians-ash-movie-1

http://uk.gamespot.com/ps2/adventure/deadrush/video/6098312/dead-rush-official-trailer-1

http://uk.gamespot.com/ps2/action/ghostvibration/video/2862472/ghost-vibration-trailer-1

http://uk.gamespot.com/ps2/strategy/ghostmaster/video/6103388/ghost-master-gameplay-movie-4

http://uk.gamespot.com/ps2/action/bloodyroar3/video/2673869/bloody-roar-3-movie-1?tag=videos;title;1

http://uk.gamespot.com/ps2/action/onimushaburaiden/video/6091944/onimusha-blade-warriors-gameplay-movie-8

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#45 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts
So far I hate this new player it never works on any video's for me. I have tried a bunch of random video's and got nothing but the infinite circle. I have tried on all 3 settings and gotten nothing. I never had a problem with the old player or with players on other sites, its just this one. I am using Internet Explorer 7
msudude211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 msudude211
So far I hate this new player it never works on any video's for me. I have tried a bunch of random video's and got nothing but the infinite circle. I have tried on all 3 settings and gotten nothing. I never had a problem with the old player or with players on other sites, its just this one. I am using Internet Explorer 7Sepewrath
Yah, I know. It's getting really annoying, as I have to load every video three or four times before it works. I'm on Safari, by the way.
double_decker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 double_decker
Member since 2006 • 146090 Posts
The video player seems to be working just fine for me on FF 3.5.3 and IE8, I went through about 5 videos and tried both default and HD and both seemed to work fine for me. If anyone has any videos on FF or IE that aren't working properly for you feel free to put them in here and I will check them out to help verify if it's GameSpot or a settings issue for your browser or on your player for GS.
StanleyL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 StanleyL

We're aware of an issue with old videos (from 2001-2002 approx) that we're looking in to.

maldoror19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 478

#49 maldoror19
Member since 2008 • 360 Posts

Yes, I went through a lot of xbox orignal and a few ps2 reviews, gameplay and trailers atc and there were many that didn't work.

What made it even more annoying was the stupid hungry jacks ad. If the videos worked I wouldn't be as annoyed - If there is advertising to remain before the videos, can i suggest you at least remove the ads until you have fixed the videos?

I said something about the ads in an earlier post on this thread and, as far as I know, it was ignored. Can I please have a response from a mod please?

ZenesisX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#50 ZenesisX
Member since 2008 • 1651 Posts

I am also getting the endless buffering icon, I have been unable to see videos on this site for sometime now:? Im currently using IE by the way.