Delete some user reviews?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

00KevinMZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 00KevinMZ
Member since 2004 • 555 Posts
Recently while digging through user reviews of spider man 3 for the wii, i noticed it's cumulative average dropped .5 overnight which seemed strange to me, then I saw someone gave it a 1.0. Now obviously based off the previous user reviews, coupled with few games are that bad, I'm going to go out and say no one will recommend that review, thus it's sole purpose in staying is to throw off the cumulative average and skew people's views of what gamespot users really think of the games. So what i'm suggesting is that if someone puts off a review so far off from the general public (i.e like it has an average score of 9 and someone gives it a 1, which is essentially what spider man had), then we should just delete the review. I don't think we can let users abuse the user review option by posting reviews of 1s, or ridiculous numbers off the average. So just a thought.
GeorgeTopouria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 GeorgeTopouria
Member since 2005 • 3988 Posts

Having the right to write a review is one of the major way to attract people registrering accounts on GS.

A review, by my opinion, shouldn't be deleted unless it's spam or anyhow abusive. It's perfectly ok if someone rates 1 a 9 rated game. It's their decision and their right.

Sharvie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#3 Sharvie
Member since 2006 • 8895 Posts

We nor even the mods have the right to delete someone's review unless it is worthy of a moderation or violation of Gamespot's TOS.

Like GeorgeTopouria said it is OK for people to rate a game 1 or 9 as it is their decision, which is what reviews are there for:to provide a different perspective on a certain game.

caddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 caddy
Member since 2005 • 28709 Posts

We nor even the mods have the right to delete someone's review unless it is worthy of a moderation or violation of Gamespot's TOS.

Like GeorgeTopouria said it is OK for people to rate a game 1 or 9 as it is their decision, which is what reviews are there for:to provide a different perspective on a certain game.

Sharvie

True. Obviously, when it comes to reviews, disagreements are common. When i see a review that i don't really agree with, i respect that if the writer can back up their points with some good facts and on the most part, that happens. Obviously, when the review consists of "This game just sucks!" and lots of other words just to fill up the 100 word count then that review should be deleted as its clearly spam and trolling but that falls under the violations you mention. I think when people back things up, we can't really grudge them since its their opinion, unless a situation like i have already suggested arises but that is a different thing altogether.

dcgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 dcgames
Member since 2004 • 1745 Posts
Personally I think a lot of reviews could be "purged". I mean, honestly, the majority of them are a mere paragraph long and the grammar is so bad that I often wonder if these people even went to school. They contribute nothing to Gamespot and certainly nothing to the games they are suppose to be reviewing.
00KevinMZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 00KevinMZ
Member since 2004 • 555 Posts
Well i'm not saying that we should go deleting reviews left or right, just the ones that are clearly way off, cause I think if people register to write reviews, then they would write quality reviews, not giving games a 1.0, and I think there's a line between expressing your opinion of the game in a constructive way, or doing it in a way that can wrongly skew the perception for someone else.
Dante2710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 Dante2710
Member since 2005 • 63164 Posts

everyone is entitled to their own opinion, if u dont like a certain person`s review, just ignore it....even if u thik they are way off, people have different views and opinions, deleting would be kind of narcissist

mike7677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 mike7677
Member since 2006 • 2426 Posts
My review on reviewers.  Yes, I review them too.  :)

A little statistics lesson first.  You get as many 10s as you do 1s.  As a rule mind you.  It follows a bell curve usually.  It might be skewed high or low, depending on the ratings.  Now if you get consistant lows, then maybe the reviews are right on the money.  Big Rigs come to mind on the low end.  If the review comes close to what GS and other sources say, then it comes as no surprises for me.

Now the reviewers.  "This game sucks" has never been a valid review EVER in my estimation.  I have to know why it sucks.  In short, give it a review.  "It sucks' reeks of fanboy rhetoric.

So, what I say, let them leave those "reviews" up there.  Let everyone see, practically forever, what fools they are.  Those reviews will stay up there forever.
Ryo_Kensen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#9 Ryo_Kensen
Member since 2005 • 3480 Posts
Not everyone has the same opinion as the average, so if they want to rate it a 2.3 or whatever they have the right to just as long as it's not against the Terms of Service.
ElendilElessar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 ElendilElessar
Member since 2006 • 842 Posts

I understand that there is alot of reviews that are in short paragraphs with alot of errors in them or not even in the topic of the game. But that doesn't mean it needs to be deleted. some people write those reviews to show their friends or if they are insulting people who play the game or talk trash, then report it, you can't delete someone's work just because they made alot of errors or whatever, thats just ridculous.

GrlGmr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 GrlGmr
Member since 2003 • 4179 Posts

I say no, users should not have the ability to delete other users' reviews. While a nice idea in theory, it would be abused just because there are people out there that frequent this site who would abuse it. System Wars is full of them. What fanboy wouldn't jump at the chance to delete a bad review of a game they've been hyperventilating over for six months?

Phantom5800

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 Phantom5800
Member since 2006 • 10200 Posts
the only reviews that should be deleted are the ones that are words repeating and extremely short/pointless ones that dont explain anything about the game, if it is spam thats what the "report" button is for, there are Mods most likely assigned to only user reviews so let them handle it