Anyone else noticing that forums are disappearing?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Toph_Girl250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Toph_Girl250
Member since 2008 • 48978 Posts
This seems to be only happening about 25-30% of the time for me, but I've been noticing that sometimes whenever you click on any forum or thread anywhere, the forums just go poof, which can get annoying, since this can also occur when one is trying to post something in a thread, when this happens while trying to post something, I get "Error: Invalid Board."
konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 konvikt_17
Member since 2008 • 22378 Posts

ive noticed this too. next time it happens ill try to get a screenshot.

have noticed the boards have been slower also. sometimes it takes like 15 from when i click on a topic till it actually opens up.

RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -3

#3 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 65506 Posts
That's odd...I haven't noticed this personally, but next time it occurs can you take note of the following and post them here please: 1: Full URL of the broken page (before the redirect to the error page, easiest way to get this is to go back to the previous (working) page and copy the link address that led to the error page) OR alternatively the full forum/board name+topic name as applicable - this will allow us to tell exactly what part of the forum site had a hiccup/downtime or if it was actually deleted (in the case of threads), and with a few reports an idea of just what areas of the site are affected. 2: The time the error occurred, including the time-zone (UTC±x is probably ideal, but any time-zone works) - if it's a hiccup or otherwise temporary unintentional downtime, this will likely be crucial for staff to pinpoint the specific problem in a timely manner, alongside the server logs. It'll also help to tell if it's just temporary while certain areas of the site/database are being manually updated, briefly preventing access during the upload. The site/server are slow at times, more so around peak times, especially while live streams are being ran via GS (though I believe they're using twitch for that instead now, haven't watched a GS livestream in a while, so I could be mistaken there), so it could just be down to the server denying the request now and then due to high loads, in which case you should be able to load the board/thread just by trying again a little bit later.
konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 konvikt_17

just got it back to back. once while leaving a thread and going back to OT, then once while trying to enter a thread. as of right now it is 2:46PM for me.

glitchspot_zps5daff2df.png

glitchspot2_zpsaaf3c021.png

konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 konvikt_17

just got it again while trying to access Tophs' union

glitchspot3_zps6e2b2736.png

RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
Seems like threads/topics just aren't being loaded up by the server for whatever reason - the page's themselves are loading fine. Interestingly enough, when I went to check OT I found it was fine, checked the thread, was also fine...went back to OT and all the non-stickied threads had disappeared, leaving a total of 6 (stickied) threads in the list. Refreshing after that and the rest of the threads showed up. I'm assuming that's just down to stickied threads having higher load priority, I didn't think to capture all the data requests/responses until after it occurred, and reloading unfortunately didn't make it occur again so no extra information beyond that. I'm using the UK site rather than the base (www.) site too though. Chances are it's just down to server load/hiccups, but I'll try to get more detailed information if it triggers for me again.
kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115429 Posts
Server seems a bit slow to. Sometimes my posts, don't post. i have to re-post them.
RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
Finally got the exact bug (a while ago, and again just before this post) from one of the above screenshots and the error code returned for the (primary) part that failed to load is 503 - service unavailable; That is, the forum part of the site is effectively down during the times the bug pops up, with only minimal functionality (enough to send the error code). This is normally due to maintenance or site modifications of some form on a less buggy site, but there's quite a few possible causes and is far from the first time this has happened here unfortunately. It would appear that this is affecting every GS hosted forum page on the entire site, but it's very intermittent and, for me at least, occurs less than 10% of the time. I wouldn't be surprised if it's just minor regular maintenance or random site hiccups, nothing to be worried about, just refresh if it fails to load, if it still fails then wait a minute or 2 before trying again. It doesn't seem to stay down for long. The server is also incredibly slow to send the 503 error at times (waiting times have varied from <1 second to over 40 seconds), so it's quite likely it's not handling the server load well for some reason.
JodyR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JodyR
Member since 2005 • 16454 Posts

I believe this is resolved?

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts

JodyR

Nope. It happened to me just as I tried to get here.

Toph_Girl250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Toph_Girl250
Member since 2008 • 48978 Posts
[QUOTE="JodyR"]

F22_King_Raptor

Nope. It happened to me just as I tried to get here.

Yep, happened to me just now recently too.
killerband55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 killerband55
Member since 2003 • 107961 Posts

JodyR

that would be a no

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#13 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
i hope they fix this, they just got rid of bonk, and i would hate it if this would stick to the forums
JodyR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JodyR
Member since 2005 • 16454 Posts
This problem was resolved a couple of days ago but let us know if you see it again.
tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts
That's not the only problem I'm having, my post seem to be disappearing too. I made a comment in one of the threads in OT, hit the submit button and SEEN my post in the thread, but when I exit out the thread, it says the last post was made hours ago. And when I reenter the thread to the very last page to see if my post that I just post a few moments ago is still there, (can still see that same exact post if I use the back feature on my browser), I find out its gone. As if it was never posted. Oddly enough, it doesn't even show the post in my post history...
tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 tocool340

Ah, there's a major delay in what a posted is posted. Disregard this post....

My newer post still aren't showing up in my post history though...

Avatar image for jediknight52501
jediknight52501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#17 jediknight52501
Member since 2005 • 69715 Posts
the site is completely glitched. Post Counts are not working. new Threads and Topics are not showing up at all and posts are not showing like they should. this site is a joke.
jediknight52501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jediknight52501
That's not the only problem I'm having, my post seem to be disappearing too. I made a comment in one of the threads in OT, hit the submit button and SEEN my post in the thread, but when I exit out the thread, it says the last post was made hours ago. And when I reenter the thread to the very last page to see if my post that I just post a few moments ago is still there, (can still see that same exact post if I use the back feature on my browser), I find out its gone. As if it was never posted. Oddly enough, it doesn't even show the post in my post history...tocool340
i am having the same damn problem. it needs to be fixed and fast.
jediknight52501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jediknight52501
and now it is getting worse.
jediknight52501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jediknight52501
This problem was resolved a couple of days ago but let us know if you see it again. JodyR
i saw this happen at OT just a few minutes ago.
tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 tocool340

[QUOTE="tocool340"]That's not the only problem I'm having, my post seem to be disappearing too. I made a comment in one of the threads in OT, hit the submit button and SEEN my post in the thread, but when I exit out the thread, it says the last post was made hours ago. And when I reenter the thread to the very last page to see if my post that I just post a few moments ago is still there, (can still see that same exact post if I use the back feature on my browser), I find out its gone. As if it was never posted. Oddly enough, it doesn't even show the post in my post history...jediknight52501
i am having the same damn problem. it needs to be fixed and fast.

Finally see a new post in this thread! It only shows JodyR's last post in this thread whenever I refresh. Then when back to this boards page, it has this topic post count with a negative 2 post...

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 tocool340

Here's what OT forum looks like for me:

OT

Notice the time it has on my computer (Bottom right corner of pic) VS. the time the last post made in that forum? I know I made a post much later than that. The forum appears to have frozen...

Not to mention that during some of my post, I get that "Forums are down for maintenance" screen, but when I refresh, that screen doesn't reappear til I post another reply in a different thread...

Now for this forum I'm seeing:Forum

(Notive the -8 post for this thread?) My post should be considered last but it shows JodyR has it...

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115429 Posts
That was the result of a cache problem, it pops it's head in sometimes and it really messes up the forums. I'm not sure what causes it, but sometimes if you keep posting, you can get past that negative post count. Also when topics appear blank, posting in the topic or refreshing the page sometimes works.
RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
Got the old Bonk bug upon logging in via homepage today..it logged me in fine though, and refreshing loaded the homepage fine; not had it since, but it was pretty rare I had the 503/disappearing forum error too.
buccomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 buccomatic
Member since 2005 • 1941 Posts

that's almost exactly what my livefyre posts look like. it's blank and there's nothing there.

the comments appear and then disappear at random (all day long) and when they do show they only show for about 5-15 minutes at a time before disappearing.

RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
The livefyre thing is a separate issue I believe, as much of it is hosted on separate servers entirely, and livefyre is also script-heavy, unlike the basic forums (although the WYSIWYG editor+quick quote/reply do require scripts still, they don't prevent anything else from loading if they fail). On topic: I take it this is resolved now? I've not noticed it occurring at all for over a week now.
WolfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 WolfGrey
Member since 2004 • 3799 Posts

that's almost exactly what my livefyre posts look like. it's blank and there's nothing there.

the comments appear and then disappear at random (all day long) and when they do show they only show for about 5-15 minutes at a time before disappearing.

buccomatic

That is happening to me too cept mine haven't come back.