Warhammer 40K: Rogue Trader - How To Romance Companions
Can love bloom in the grimdark universe of Warhammer 40K: Rogue Trader?
The Warhammer 40K: Rogue Trader companion romance feature allows you to cozy up with a few party members. You'll get to know more about their past, though be forewarned that you need to make the right decisions. Our guide discusses how to romance companions in Warhammer 40K: Rogue Trader in case you want a more lovey-dovey experience in the game's grimdark setting.
How to romance companions in Warhammer 40K: Rogue Trader
The Warhammer 40K: Rogue Trader romanceable companions are Cassia, Heinrix, Jae, and Yrliet. As far as we know, you can pursue multiple romances throughout the campaign, going so far as to kiss or even sleep with some characters. However, you will need to make a choice near the end, one that locks you in for good.
It's also worth noting that you need to pay attention to dialogue options during one-on-one conversations with companions, as some of these advance the romance further. Likewise, your allies also have their own respective quests, which you'll want to complete.
Lastly, be sure to check out our articles on how to recruit all companions and our companion tier list. These are to ascertain which characters can join your squad, and which of them offer the most benefits.
The Cassia romance starts out innocently enough. Her mutations cause her to feel that she's been disfigured, to which you should respond by telling her that she's "beautiful no matter what." Moving forward, try to always be supportive toward her, while listening to her suggestions during her companion quests.
As an aside, there seems to be an important dialogue that happens during Act 2, one where you're told about looking into Cassia's well-being. This allows you to send birds to her room, which allows the romance to advance as you progress further into the campaign. Unfortunately, it seems that we did not get this scene, and we've been locked out of additional options.
Heinrix is another potential companion romance in Warhammer 40K: Rogue Trader. This Inquisitor has some underhanded tricks, though you should try to be understanding when it comes to his motivations. Here are a couple of notable interactions:
- Ask Heinrix to have a chat in your room. When he talks about regicide, respond with: "I know how to play regicide. Perhaps we could talk about the game from time to time."
- Complete Heinrix's personal quest, as well as other main missions in Act 2. When you next return to the von Valancius manor on Dargonus, there will be an event to commemorate your achievements. Heinrix will also warn you, and you can decide to kiss him.
- At the end of that sequence as Heinrix is about to leave your room, you can tell him that he doesn't have to go.
- There are additional "frisky" decisions that you can pick in other instances when Heinrix also shows up in your office.
The Jae companion romance in Warhammer 40K: Rogue Trader is probably the most straightforward out of the bunch. Once she's joined your squad, you'll be able to ask: "Has the esteemed princess' heart been claimed by some lucky fellow?"
You can then choose additional flirtatious options, such as:
- "I enjoy being with you."
- "I do not see you as a toy. I just like you."
- "My dazzling one, can I trust that you hold in your heart..."
The next step involves giving her a gift, so ask your other companions for some hilarious remarks--you can even ask others who you're romancing, and they won't mind. Assuming you've finished the main quest on Dargonus, you can tell High Factotum Janris Danrok that you want to gift Jae with her own planet. You'll then see the Princess of Efreet point of interest in Mundus Valancius (Dargonus' star system).
Later, while jumping from one star system to the next, Jae will give you a gift, a Sirocco animal, and there are a few more flirtatious options whenever she visits your room.
The Yrliet romance in Warhammer 40K: Rogue Trader is a bit more complicated than the others. After all, she's Aeldari (i.e. Eldar or space elf), and they're naturally mistrustful when it comes to humans. The number one rule is this: You should always be understanding toward her when it comes to the differences between human and Aeldari interactions. Do not attempt to flirt with her in the same way you'd flirt with a human character, or she'll be disgusted completely.
Here are some key interactions that can happen once you've gotten to know her well enough:
- When you see her meditating in your voidship, just wait patiently. Do not choose any option where you'd startle or annoy her. She'll realize that you remembered what she told you about Aeldari meditation.
- When you get the fountain scene and the echoes of people you've met, do not kiss or embrace her. Instead, you should only touch her hand.
- Later in Act 3, there will be a pivotal moment, which we don't want to spoil here. Suffice to say, you should be accepting of Yrliet, and you must forgive her.
These are just some of the interactions that you can expect when you romance companions in Warhammer 40K: Rogue Trader. Sadly, there doesn't seem to be a way to romance other characters, such as Sister Argenta or Abelard.
There are certainly more discoveries to be made as you continue your journey in the Koronus Expanse, so don't forget to visit our Warhammer 40K: Rogue Trader guides hub.