Torchlight 3 Has A Release Date, And It's Soon
Torchlight 3 will hit PC, PS4, and Xbox One in October, and Switch later this year.
Torchlight III has a release date, and will leave Early Access and come to consoles soon. The game will release on PC, PS4, and Xbox One on October 13 for $40. A Switch version is coming too, but not until later this year.
The game, which hit Steam Early Access in June, was originally announced as Torchlight Frontiers, a free-to-play take on the series, before getting completely retooled. Now, it's a four-player online hack-'n-slash RPG like the first two games. Original developer Runic Games no longer exists; this game has been developed by Echtra Games. Most members of the development team have experience in the genre, having worked on Diablo, Diablo II, and the first two Torchlight games.
The game is set a century after Torchlight II, and has four playable classes. Here's the list, along with descriptions of each one from the developers:
- Dusk Mage: an enchanter who harnesses the power of light and dark energy to conjure devastating attacks.
- Forged: a powerful robot who relies on an arsenal of weaponry to build up heat and unleash explosive assaults.
- Railmaster: a locomotive savvy powerhouse who steams into combat with a massive hammer and heavily armed battle train.
- Sharpshooter: a powerful and nimble ranged character who uses incredible skill with ranged weapons and magical trinkets to take on enemies from afar.
Max Schaefer, the co-founder of the franchise, has been involved with Torchlight III. "The full release of Torchlight III wouldn’t have been possible without all of the incredible work from the entire Echtra team and our excellent community of Early Access players," Schaefer said in a statement sent to press.
"We’ve put our heart into this new adventure and it has been awesome getting so much support from players while the game has been in live development," he continues. "With the significant changes we’ve made throughout Torchlight III’s journey in Early Access, we have done our best to meaningfully integrate players’ feedback as much as possible into the game as we march toward launch."
Each version of the game will come with an exclusive fairy pet for players. Here's what you'll get depending on which version you buy:
- Steam: Violet Glittersprite
- Xbox One: Verdant Glittersprite
- PlayStation 4: Azure Glittersprite
- Nintendo Switch: Ashen Glittersprite
Players who grab Torchlight III while it's still in Early Access will get the game cheaper--it's currently $30 on Steam.
GameSpot may get a commission from retail offers.