Titanfall 2 Beta Dates and Details Confirmed
The console-only beta begins later this week.
The first of the two weekend betas starts this Friday, August 19, with two modes and two maps available. The following weekend will still offer that same content, but with an additional map and mode added to the mix.
Two new Titans, Ion and Scorch, will be available for use, along with Pilot abilities like Grapple, Holo Point, and Pulse Blade. A press release also mentions two of the weapons you'll be able to use: the Mastiff (a "horizontal spread shotgun") and the Alternator (a "dual-barrel SMG"). You can see some of this in the new trailer above.
The first beta runs from August 19-21, while the second runs August 26-28.
EA's descriptions of the included maps and modes follow below.
- Bounty Hunt (5v5): A brand new mode that pits Pilots and their teammates against an opposing team as well as the Remnant Fleet. Earn bonuses by killing grunts and enemies, but make sure and deposit all your points at the bank between waves without getting killed.
- Pilots vs. Pilots (8v8): Players can be the best Pilot on the Frontier and put their combat and mobility skills to the ultimate test in this classic 8 vs 8 Pilots only mode.
- Amped Hardpoint (6v6--second weekend only): A new twist on Hardpoint Domination from the original game; now defending a Hardpoint will let you amp it, giving your team double score. Team work is the key to securing victory.
- Boomtown: A secret underground IMC facility where the latest in R&D is put to the test. In this facility Pilots can use the many peaked roofs to use as cover against combatants below. With tight lanes through the middle, Titans can also be easily ambushed.
- Homestead: The IMC have claimed Imminent Domain on a small commune's plot of land. With a series of raised, rocky plateaus and a river running down the middle, Pilots are mostly safe from Titans among the rocks and trees but they also can duck into the caves and building when needed. However, the Titans control the large rolling fields.
- Forward Base Koda (second weekend only): Militia forces have taken over an IMC substation and set up a forward operating base. Pilots can find safety from Titans in the hallways and chambers of the main building, while Titans can walk over the roof to get a better view of the action.
The beta will only be available on consoles; Respawn has decided to skip PC because it hasn't yet optimized the game for the wide range of possible hardware configurations. The company is also concerned with the prospect of dataminers spoiling details on the game's new campaign mode.
EA said the beta begins on Friday but did not specify a specific time for when it will be available for download or when its servers go live (or go offline). The full game launches on October 28.
Respawn will show off multiplayer gameplay footage at Gamescom later today. You'll be able to watch it live at 11 AM PT.
GameSpot may get a commission from retail offers.
Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email firstname.lastname@example.org