This Oculus Rift Add-On Pumps In Smells and More
Smellovision has arrived with this unique sense and scent attachment.
A new add-on for the Oculus Rift virtual reality headset allows the person wearing it to experience smell, heat, cold, and more. A VR research and development company called Feelreal demonstrated the Bluetooth-powered mask recently at the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco.
The Feelreal mask uses heaters, coolers, misters, a vibration engine, a microphone, and even a "removable cartridge with seven unique smells." These smells are: Ocean, Jungle, Fire, Grass, Powder, Flowers, and Metal.
The Verge tested the mask at GDC, reporting that the experience has many setbacks.
Companies investing in virtual reality technology aim to create more believable worlds that deliver the elusive feeling of "presence."
And the concept is for artificial scents is exciting. Virtually visit a waterfall and actually feel the mist on your skin; stand atop a cliff and enjoy the comfort of the wind breezing past your face. Of course, it will all come down to execution to deliver a truly authentic experience.
Looking for more news about virtual reality? Check out some of GameSpot's recent stories on the subject, from GDC and PAX East, below.
- Devs Talk Hopes and Fears for VR
- Valve and HTC Reveal Vive VR Headset
- Valve Demonstrates the Future of VR Better Than Anyone
- "It Was Absolutely Magical," Gears of War Creator Says About Valve's VR
- Oculus: VR Motion Sickness a "Real Issue," But Not as Bad as We Thought
- Gabe Newell: Valve Has Cracked VR's Motion Sickness Problem
Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email email@example.com