New Prison Escape Co-Op Game A Way Out's Length Revealed And More
Developer Josef Fares shares a lot of new details on the PS4, Xbox One, and PC game.
A Way Out, the new co-op game from the creator of Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, launches this week on Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC. We caught up with game director Josef Fares recently, who gave us a demo and revealed some new details about the action game. Fares made headlines at the end of 2017 when he said "F**k the Oscars" and gave the middle finger directly to the camera during The Game Awards.
You can check out our complete, 35-minute demo in the video below, and we've pulled out some interesting takeaways into the bullet points at the bottom of this post. You can also check out our livestream with the opening hours above.
A Way Out can only be played in co-op with another human, locally or online. Thankfully, there is a way to pretty much ensure you have someone to play with. At The Game Awards back in December, publisher EA announced a "friends pass free trial" for the game that lets you play the full title if your friend owns it.
History of Diablo Rocket League Season 11 Gameplay Trailer The Valiant | Console Announcement Trailer Rocket League Season 11 Cinematic Trailer VALORANT - What’s Next in 2023 // Dev Diaries Alan Wake 2 Dev Diary Chapter 1: Introducing Saga Anderson How Final Fantasy XIV SAVED Itself! It’s Time To Rethink Pre-Ordering Games 14 Things I Wish I Knew Before Playing Diablo 4 Samba de Amigo | Get Ready to Shake It With Amigo & Friends in VR | Full Meta Quest Trailer Stranger Things VR | Gameplay Trailer | Meta Quest 2 + 3 + Pro Ghostbusters: Rise of the Ghost Lord | Story Trailer | Meta Quest 2 + 3 + Pro
Please enter your date of birth to view this video
By clicking 'enter', you agree to GameSpot's
Set in the '70s, A Way Out focuses on the story of two convicts who are on the run after a prison escape. The game launches on March 23; you can read more about it in our A Way Out review.
A Way Out Details From Fares
- It will take you 6-8 hours to finish A Way Out
- Developer Hazelight started with just 10 people on the project, before ramping up to around 40 later in development. Only 12 people worked on Brothers.
- Fares wrote the script himself, though he worked with a "script doctor" as well.
- Fares says EA has been very supportive and hands-off. "If EA wants to make an apple greener, I can say no," Fares said.
- 100 percent of the income from A Way Out will go to developer Hazelight. EA makes nothing, Fares said. EA helps with marketing and support, but apparently gets nothing from sales.
- He acknowledges that EA has its fair share of issues, as all publishers do. "They sh*t and take a pee like everybody else," Fares said.
- Fares is incredibly passionate about A Way Out and particularly its co-op multiplayer, saying he would turn down $10 million to make a strictly single-player game.
- Fares would never make a game with mictrotransactions.
- There are no plans for a Nintendo Switch edition, at least not yet.
The products discussed here were independently chosen by our editors. GameSpot may get a share of the revenue if you buy anything featured on our site.
Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email email@example.com
Join the conversation