New Assassin's Creed Video Explores the Ancient Conflict of the Movie

"It's in your hands now."


The Assassin's Creed movie finally hits theaters next month. The highly-anticipated adaptation of the game series stars Michael Fassbender, and a new behind-the-scenes featurette that explores the ancient conflict between Assassins and Templars has been released. Check it out below:

Assassin's Creed is directed by Justin Kurzel, and co-stars Marion Cotillard, Jeremy Irons, Brendan Gleeson, and Michael Kenneth Williams. A new trailer was released at the end of October, which you can watch here.

The majority of the movie will take place in the modern day, but for the scenes that are set in 15th century Spain, Fassbender and others will speak in Spanish. Kurzel has stated that he experimented with the actors speaking in English during the historical scenes before settling on the native tongue. It adds an "exoticness and richness to the film," he told Total Film Magazine (via GamesRadar).

As announced previously, 65 percent of Assassin's Creed takes place in the modern day, with the remaining 35 percent in the past. In the game series, most of the action typically takes places in historical periods such as Colonial America, the French Revolution, and the Renaissance, among others.

Regarding the present day/past percentage split, Fassbender previously explained why the film is structured the way it is.

"There are certain things that we absolutely want to respect in the game," he said. "But we also want to bring new elements to the game [...] This isn't a video game that we're making. We're trying to make a cinematic experience, so there are new things that we have to introduce."

As for the game, there won't be a new entry in the mainline series this year. However, Ubisoft will release the Ezio Trilogy for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC in November.

Assassin's Creed is released on December 21, 2016.

The products discussed here were independently chosen by our editors. GameSpot may get a share of the revenue if you buy anything featured on our site.

Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email

Join the conversation
There are 2 comments about this story