Halo Infinite BTB Update Out Now, Patch Notes Released
The large-scale multiplayer mode has been struggling since December, but it's now been patched once again.
Halo Infinite's Big Team Battle mode is still facing some issues, but a new patch was released on Thursday that should help improve the experience. The patch notes state that players should be able to find fully populated matches more quickly and consistently with the new update.
There are some gameplay changes, too, as Scorpion Tanks and Wraiths will appear more regularly on BTB maps. Additionally, 343 has changed the join-in-progress rules such that players should no longer get into BTB matches that are nearly finished.
Big Team Battle has been struggling since mid-December. A post-holidays patch was released on January 19, but it did not fix the issues properly. While that patch wasn't totally successful, it did provide 343 with telemetry data that informed the patch that is out now.
Outside of BTB, the February 3 patch makes changes to Oddball such that if the score is tied when a round timer expires, an additional minute will be added. If the match is still tied after that, it will end in a draw.
BTB is Halo Infinite's largest-scale mode, pitting two teams of 12 against each other on massive maps. It's been in a rough state since before the holidays, but thankfully it sounds like the February 3 patch is fixing things up properly.
In other news, it has been confirmed that the Halo TV series will premiere March 24 on Paramount+ and a new trailer aired during the NFL playoffs.
Halo Infinite February 3 Patch Notes:
- Matchmaking service improvements for Big Team Battle (BTB). Players should find full matches quicker and more consistently.
- Scorpion Tanks and Wraiths will appear more frequently on BTB maps.
- Fireteam members in BTB matches will have the selected Fireteam Marker color, but may still start the match in different areas of the map.
- Join in progress rules updated to avoid matchmaking into games which are nearly complete.
- Changes to Oddball in both Ranked and Arena Multiplayer playlists:
- If the score is tied when a round’s timer runs out, one minute is added back to the timer. If the score is tied at the end of the additional minute, then the round will be declared a tie.
- The match will end if two separate rounds end in a tie and the victory will go to the team with more rounds won.
- Halo Championship Series (HCS) variant of Free-For-All Slayer added to the Custom Game modes list.
- In Custom Games, changes to Free-For-All Slayer, FFA Oddball, Neutral Flag and Tactical Slayer game options update correctly.
- Update only (all platforms): approximately 1.1 GB or less.
The products discussed here were independently chosen by our editors. GameSpot may get a share of the revenue if you buy anything featured on our site.