Gears 5 Gets a Massive Operation 5 Update, Patch Notes Here
Gears 5's Operation 5: Hollow Storm update adds new characters, maps, and a weapon to the game, as well as decoupling classes and characters.
Following last week's update to Gears 5, which added next-gen optimizations for the Xbox Series X / Series S, the game is getting perhaps its largest update yet. Alongside the launch of Operation 5: Hollow Storm, the patch introduces five maps, seven characters, and brings the Scorcher flamethrower back into the fold.
As revealed by the patch's copious patch notes below, the nostalgia-themed update adds many new features and optimizations to Gears 5, including the return of several beloved characters from Gears 2 and 3, like Dizzy Wallin and Skorge. In addition, the game's traditional multiplayer modes now run at a locked 120 frames per second on Xbox Series X/S.
Operation 5 also brings major changes to the game's other multiplayer modes, particularly Horde and Escape. The update has decoupled character and class, meaning that you can pair any character with any class, instead of playing the character with the weapons and abilities you need to win. Finally, my all-Batista dream team can destroy all comers.
That previous update that brought more Dave Bautista to the game also gave it a New Game+ mode, so get back in the fight. It also improved input lag, which is definitely a boon to multiplayer.
Gears 5 Operation 5: Hollow Storm Patch Notes
- Updates to PvP including deploying ‘Community Service’ model for quitters and new bonuses for Ranked matches. Here are the full details.
- Added a new rarity level added above Legendary called ‘Heroic’
- Major updates to PVE including decoupling Characters and Classes in for PvE. Here is a complete breakdown of all the changes.
- Made various Store adjustments to improve navigation and more intuitive organization.
- We know many of you are interested in hearing about our planned changes to re-ups. We will have more information to Re-up rewards in the next few weeks. Stay tuned!
- Fixed issue with characters briefly disappearing after being counter yanked while having a pistol equipped.
- Fixed visual feedback inconsistencies with EMBAR firing.
- Fixed issue with My Tour Objectives not updating after a user runs multiple matches in a row.
- Fixed issue with incorrect character skins loading in Arcade Blitz and Arcade Deathmatch modes.
- Fixed issue with xCloud TAK controls for the right joystick being nonresponsive during gameplay.
- Fixed occasional spawning issue for users playing rolling matches of Golden Gun.
- Fixed issue with team now appearing online in My Squad.
- Fixed performance issues with RTX 2080ti.
- Fixed issue that allowed players to matchmake into “Recruit” playlists after level 30.
- Fixed an issue so Bastions now shield an enemy target when spawning and no longer use their self-destruct against players.
- Fixed universal lip flap animation issue when coughing audio plays.
- Updated Clayton Carmine with new knife prop.
- Fixed issues with the venom bomb placement in lobbies for Armored and V-Day Sam, UIR Officer Male and Female, UIR Cosmonaut, and UIR Soldier Female.
- Fixed issue with UIR Soldier Male and Female arm guards missing from the back of the characters.
- Fixed issue with Commando Dom’s shoulder armor lighting.
- Fixed issue with skin deformations on the Speaker’s skin while vaulting.
- Corrected colored armor emissive lights for Kilo Squad Baird.
- Corrected issue with Void RAAM’s head not turning while looking in cover.
- Fixed secondary motion on the pouch and lower back for Armored and V-Day Sam.
- Added light bleeding effect for Kilo Squad Baird’s shoulder strap emissive lights.
- Added gore texture to Locust Drone’s holstered knife.
- Updated Queen Myrrah’s face model on the gore mesh.
- Fixed LOD popping issues on Murder Pool Lizzie’s severed hand and blood tubes.
- Removed blood effect from Robot characters during execution.
Maps and Tiles
- Fixed bug allowing players to walk on air after switching weapons while sliding down ramps in Icebound.
- Fixed issue with users getting stuck behind a wall after going DBNO near a wall in Reactor.
- Fixed minor light volume issues on windows in Vasgar.
- Fixed issue with missing grenade collision on a wall in Checkout.
- Fixed issue with glass rendering in front of smoke grenade smoke in Checkout.
- Fixed VFX/SFX issues on computer screens and the couch on the tracks in Asylum.
- Fixed issue with Social Manager giving “Social Manager is having issues getting updates at this time…” error message that occurred intermittently when accessing the Social Manager.
Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email firstname.lastname@example.org