Fortnite Spring Breakout Event 2023: Challenges, Rewards, And New Skins
A new Penny skin is coming to the Fortnite Item Shop during Spring Breakout, but plenty more can be yours for free with event challenges.
The Fortnite Spring Breakout is now live, bringing with it a bouquet of free rewards, challenges, unvaulted weapons, and even a new skin for fan-favorite character Penny. With a daily dose of new Spring Breakout quests and half a dozen rewards to unlock through play without spending a single V-Buck, here's everything you need to know about Spring Breakout 2023.
Fortnite Spring Breakout challenges
Epic has taken a liking to the daily rollout of event challenges as of late, and it's continuing that trend with the new springtime event. Each morning at 6 AM PT / 9 AM ET, a new Spring Breakout challenge will be added. We'll update this list each morning to reflect that. When they're tricky quests, you'll even find links here to guides to help you complete them without hassle. There will be 14 quests in total and they'll disappear on April 11.
- Visit cherry blossom displays (3)
- Collect a golden egg
- Hire a specialist character
- Collect an egg within five seconds of a chicken laying it
- Hire a specialist characters and do damage to opponents
- Swim in the hot springs at Steamy Springs
Spring Breakout rewards and cosmetics
For completing most of the Spring Breakout challenges, you'll earn XP toward your Chapter 4 Season 2 battle pass. However, four of the challenges will grant you new cosmetics instead. On days 1, 7, 9, and 14, the related challenges will grant you a bundle of hopping new rewards shown below. They include:
- Day 1 Quest’s Reward: Bloomback Sack back bling
- Day 7 Quest’s Reward: Shell Smash spray
- Day 9 Quest’s Reward: The Works loading screen
- Day 14 Quest’s Reward: A Spring Breakout banner icon
Additional Spring Challenge Quests are available too, and earning milestones with these will net you two more items that go great with the back bling above. For finishing 12 Spring Challenge Quests, you'll get the Nannerbloom Hammer pickaxe, and completing 22 total will later get you the Spring Flyer glider.
Of course, for many people, the highlight will be the new Item Shop skins. Epic hasn't revealed all of those yet, but one new skin can be seen in the promo image for Spring Breakout, and it's none other than Penny, one of the fan-favorite characters from Save The World who has, on rare occasions, been sold outside of Fortnite's forgotten mode.
A new Penny dressed up in a bunny costume, is sure to become an immediate must-buy for many players. Look for the skin to go on sale during Spring Breakout 2023, perhaps among other themed skins, too.
Like any Fortnite event, the island will look and behave a bit differently for Spring Breakout. Naturally, the Egg Launcher weapon is returning once more and can be instantly acquired with the Springtime Blowout augment. It acts like a grenade launcher, only it launches colorful eggs at enemies that explode after a moment. New versions of color-coded chickens can be seen roaming the island too, and they'll each include special loot.
- Heal Eggs: Green eggs that restore your health and shield slowly over time.
- Hop Eggs: Blue eggs that temporarily grant you a low-gravity effect and also give you health.
- Golden Eggs: Gold (obviously) eggs that grant you gold bars.
Alongside the limited-time Springtime Blowout augment mentioned above, several more augments are being added for the duration of the season. They include:
- Rail Warrior: Regenerate health and partial shield while on grind rails or ziplines, except while in the storm
- Go For Broke: Grants a Charge Shotgun and Flintknock Pistol
- Aquatic Warrior: Move faster and regenerate health and partial shield while swimming, except while in the storm
- Game Time: Grants Pizza Party item and Chug Splash item
NPCs are also being added and fit into class types known as Specialists: Scout, Heavy, Supply, and Medical. Scout Specialists are great snipers and can ping enemies and chests. Heavies can take more damage than other NPCs and carry an explosive-centric inventory. Supply Specialists drop ammo for you and your squad. In modes with building enabled, they also drop building materials. Medical Specialists, heal you with Chug Splash.
These NPCs and more will now be shown on the map in-game, making it easier to locate them--and given that they sound more useful than past NPCs for hire, that should help you spring into victory during this two-week event.
The products discussed here were independently chosen by our editors. GameSpot may get a share of the revenue if you buy anything featured on our site.
Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Join the conversation