Fortnite Patch Notes (Season 10): What's New In Update 10.00?
Back to the future.
Fortnite Season 10--or Season X, as developer Epic Games is calling it--has officially begun. Ushering in its launch, Epic has also issued update 10.00 for the wildly popular battle royale title, and published patch notes alongside it to detail everything that's new. You should also be aware that there are a number of nagging issues impacting the game following its release, including those related to gifting the Battle Pass on PC and playing on Xbox One with a Kinect plugged in.
As always for the start of a new season, there are a number of big new features for players to enjoy. One of the major new additions is the B.R.U.T.E. suit, a two-person vehicle that lets one player operate the turret and the other move the machine around.
Challenges have changed somewhat significantly. The structure of them has been altered in a number of ways, with daily challenges replaced by limited-time "missions" that are rolled out daily and then replaced in groups after a week. In terms of the standard weekly challenges, those also now function differently, with one key aspect of that being that none of them are available for non-Battle Pass owners. You'll need to purchase the Season 10 Battle Pass to access those challenges and earn the many Season 10 skins and rewards.
There are also Rift Zones, which have been created by the Zero Point Explosion. “Locations once thought to be lost are beginning to appear, but they aren’t the same as they once were. Drop in and explore to discover what mysterious gameplay changes they have in store.”
We've identified that Xbox One players with a Kinect plugged in may encounter stability issues when starting up Fortnite.— Fortnite (@FortniteGame) August 1, 2019
We're investigating a fix for this issue, but players can work around it in the meantime by disconnecting their Kinect.
We're aware of some players experiencing an increased level of hitching/stuttering while in-game.— Fortnite (@FortniteGame) August 1, 2019
We are investigating this and will provide status updates once we have more information.
These Rift Zones and the Zero Point explosion are a key part of Season 10's theme. "Time is twisted and the Zero Point has become volatile," Epic explains. "Whether you’re nostalgic for the past or excited for the future, there will be plenty for you to discover all Season long. Locations once thought to be lost have begun to appear on the island, but they aren’t the same as they once were.
"Board the Battle Bus and drop in, but keep an eye to the skies to spot the new Season X mech vehicle, the B.R.U.T.E. Crashing on the island as the Battle Bus takes off, these merciless mechs seat two players and works best with a partner, so grab a squadmate, hop in, load up, and roll out."
The Mech has been disabled in the Creative and Playground playlists, due to an issue with movement speed.— Fortnite (@FortniteGame) August 1, 2019
As a result of this theme, Season 10's map changes involve bringing back old elements from the past. For instance, the comet that previously crashed into the island is back and hovering just above its impact point. As a result, Dusty Divot has reverted into Dusty Depot.
Weapons + Items
- This vehicle can be operated by up to two players. If two players are operating it, one (the driver) controls movement, while the other (the gunner) rains down missiles and shotgun shots.
- The driver is able to:
- Dash into combat.
- Super Jump to victory.
- Stomp enemies and structures into the ground.
- Anything you would normally harvest will grant materials when destroyed.
- The passenger has two weapons at their disposal: a shotgun and a missile launcher.
- Clip Size: 10
- Damage: 50
- Headshot Multiplier: 1.5x
- Missile Launcher
- Fires up to 10 missiles at once.
- Holding down Trigger will begin loading missiles.
- After releasing Trigger, or after 10 missiles have been loaded, all missiles will automatically fire.
- New Mechanic: Overshield
- Consumes 200 of any Material type to create a personal overshield for 5 seconds to protect you in the mech.
- Quad Crasher
- Flint Knock Pistol
- Shadow Bomb
- Semi-Auto Sniper
- Tactical Assault Rifle
- Mounted Turret
- Air Strike
- Itemized Glider Redeploy (still available in large team modes)
- Over time, we have added many mobility options, both itemized and map-based. We feel that Season X is better experienced with a reduction in mobility. As with all changes, we’ll keep a close eye on how this affects the player experience.
- Fixed the Heavy Shotgun not piercing through water in modes where it is available.
- All Campfires now heal vehicles.
- The Storm Scout Sniper Rifle no longer has perfect hip-fire accuracy after aiming down sights.
- Boogie Bombs and Grenades no longer pass through vehicles.
- New Battle Pass feature!
- Missions are a series of thematic objectives that grant rewards. As you complete these objectives, you'll earn Battle Stars, XP, and exclusive cosmetic items.
- More information about Missions can be found in the Battle Pass and Challenges tabs.
- Fixed an issue involving players getting stuck under a ramp as it’s placed.
- Arena Game Mode updates!
- Season kicks off with Solos and Trios Arena.
- Hype will be reset at the start of Season X, with a new scoring structure in place.
- 10 Divisions - point values have been increased, but progression should be roughly the same. The bolded divisions are new.
- Open I (0 - 499)
- Open II (500 - 999)
- Open III (1000 - 1499)
- Open IV (1500 - 1999)
- Contender I (2000 - 2999)
- Contender II (3000 - 4499)
- Contender III (4500 - 6499)
- Champion I (6500 - 9999)
- Champion II (10000 - 13999)
- Champion III (14000+)
- Scoring model updates - standardized points and bus fares across all playlists.
- Eliminations: 20pt
- Top 25: 60pt
- Top 15: 30pt
- Top 5: 30pt
- Victory Royale: 60pt
- Eliminations: 7pt (per team member)
- Top 8: 60pt
- Top 4: 30pt
- Top 2: 30pt
- Victory Royale: 60pt
- Bus fare increases at Divisions 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9 and 10.
- Matchmaking in Arena is still based on players with similar Hype. Players in higher divisions may experience longer-than-normal wait times to ensure higher-quality matches.
- Improved level streaming performance for all platforms by optimizing the way assets are preloaded. This reduces cases in which players land on buildings with a low level of detail, particularly on Switch and Xbox One.
Art + Animation
- The Ride the Pony Emote is now a traversal Emote.
- Players who earned the Ride the Pony Emote from the Season 2 Battle Pass have been given a new, additional traversal Emote: Pony Up!
- Added new bullet impact sounds.
- Increased the volume of distant gunfire and Gliders.
- Increased Chest volume and audio range by 10%.
- Ambient sound no longer cuts out when players walk between biomes.
- Pressing the Main Menu button on controllers now defaults focus to the Main Menu (right side of the screen).
- The loading content message will no longer be stuck at 0% when players are matchmaking.
- Fixed a Lobby camera issue when returning from a replay.
- Fixed an issue that prevented the selection of different players in the Lobby after switching from different game modes.
- Selecting Leave Match no longer prevents a player in your party sitting out in the Lobby from entering matchmaking.
- A new camera mode, Battle Map, has been added to server replays. This camera mode shows:
- A path of where the followed player has been during the match.
- The locations of the eliminations the followed player has done during the match.
- Auto-fire system improvements:
- We’ve re-tuned Auto-fire for every weapon with this update and would love specific and detailed weapon feedback so that we can continue to improve it.
- If you want to try it out and don't use Auto-fire already, go into your HUD settings and enable Auto-fire.
- Added a new setting: Tap to Search/Interact for Controllers.
- Added a message for devices on Android that have the Sensor Pressure settings (S8, S8+, S9, S9+, and Note 9) to inform players about the settings being active.
- Players would unintentionally return to the Home screen due to this setting being active.
- We’ve increased the size of buttons and icons in the following areas:
- The Frontend Lobby tab buttons.
- The Crown for Party leader display icon.
- The Map Marker.
- "First team to reach the elimination goal wins!" message won’t remain throughout the whole match in Team Rumble.
- Exiting a vehicle won’t reload the player’s weapon.
- The button for skipping cutscenes is now visible on Android.
- Vertical black lines aren’t displayed on the Challenges page.
- The Settings Menu will properly display when language is set to Spanish.
- The text on the menu buttons in the Settings Menu is aligned.
- Quick Heal button won’t appear when falling or after opening the map.
- Scaling the Quick Heal button in the HUD Layout Tool won’t cause the icon to change to the item's icon in the inventory.
- Quick Heal button won’t disappear from the HUD Layout tool when another button is modified.
- Players are able to open doors or Chests while using the ADS button.
- Build mode button will correctly change to the Weapon mode button when pressing it on Android.
- Added header on multiple widgets in the HUD Layout Tool.
- Graphical improvement of CloudBreaker outfit.
- Graphical improvement of the blue variant of the Sea Wolf outfit.
- Freefall icon will be displayed when falling to the map.
- ADS button won’t be displayed when driving a vehicle that you entered while holding a gun.
- When updating the Banner Trooper outfit, players won’t disappear in the Locker, and the proper Banner will be displayed.
- Edit button will be displayed when using passenger seat.
- Screen won’t turn black when looking inside of a body of water.
- Jump button won’t remain greyed out after players press it.
- Audio improvements.
- Fixed the occasional static sounds on Android.
- Tapping with interactable items in Edit mode will no longer cause the camera to lock.
- Player won’t be able to edit through structures.
- Ex: Looking at your wall and being able to edit another structure (floor, ramp, roof).
- Fixed an unopenable Chest near Polar Peak.
The products discussed here were independently chosen by our editors. GameSpot may get a share of the revenue if you buy anything featured on our site.