Dragon Age: Inquisition Is Now BioWare's Most Successful Launch Ever, But EA Sales Fall
EA adds that players have already racked up more than 113 million hours in single-player alone; total EA revenue and profit slide year-over-year.
Final Fantasy XIV Online Endwalker Job Actions Trailer The Glitches That Made Halo 2 New SpongeBob SquarePants Game Announced! | GameSpot News THQ Nordic 10th Anniversary Digital Showcase SpongeBob SquarePants: The Cosmic Shake - Announcement Trailer Monster Hunter Rise - Mega Man Collab: Rush Palamute Layered Armor CatDog Showcase – Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl Ren & Stimpy Showcase – Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl Lemnis Gate | Gameplay Overview Trailer New SEGA/ATLUS RPG TGS 2021 Teaser Trailer Outcast 2: A New Beginning - Official Cinematic Announcement Trailer Outcast 2: A New Beginning - Official Gameplay Trailer
Dragon Age: Inquisition is now the "most successful launch in BioWare history," publisher Electronic Arts announced on Tuesday as part of the company's latest earnings report.
A specific sales number was not divulged, but EA mentions that the game's single-player campaign alone "has been enjoyed for more than 113 million hours."
An EA representative told GameSpot that the "most successful launch" milestone is "based on units sold, but we are not disclosing that total."
For EA's third quarter ended December 31, the company posted $1.4 billion in net revenue, down from $1.6 billion this time last year. The company recorded a profit of $388 million for the three-month period, which compares to $398 million last year.
For the holiday quarter, EA said it was the number one publisher on Xbox One and PS4 across the world, driven by big-name games such as Dragon Age: Inquisition, FIFA 15, NHL 15, Madden NFL 15, EA Sports UFC, Titanfall, Battlefield 4, and FIFA 14.
Some other key highlights that EA mentioned included:
- SimCity BuildIt has achieved 22 million downloads since its release in December.
- Monthly active users for EA mobile games averaged more than 160 million during the period.
- EA mobile sports games Madden NFL Mobile and FIFA 15 Ultimate Team together averaged 45 percent more monthly active players compared to last year.
Some operating highlights included:
- $2.178 billion of EA's overall $4.337 billion in revenue during the trailing twelve months was digital, marking the first time digital has made up that significant a portion of overall sales.
- Net revenue for Ultimate Team services for FIFA, NFL, and NHL were up 82 percent year-over-year.
For more, check out the infographic below that features additional user statistics for EA games during the quarter.
GameSpot may get a commission from retail offers.