Dragon Age: Inquisition Is Now BioWare's Most Successful Launch Ever, But EA Sales Fall
EA adds that players have already racked up more than 113 million hours in single-player alone; total EA revenue and profit slide year-over-year.
The Best Game Awards 2022 Trailers The Best Game Awards 2022 Trailers FINAL FANTASY XVI - REVENGE Diablo IV Cinematic Trailer | The Game Awards 2022 Street Fighter 6 - Pre-Order Trailer | The Game Awards 2022 Why Microsoft Is Being Sued | GameSpot News ARMORED CORE VI FIRES OF RUBICON — Reveal Trailer Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty DLC Trailer Raid Episode 01 | Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II Crime Boss: Rockay City Trailer | The Game Awards 2022 Banishers: Ghosts of New Eden Reveal Trailer | The Game Awards 2022 Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine 2 Trailer | The Game Awards 2022
Dragon Age: Inquisition is now the "most successful launch in BioWare history," publisher Electronic Arts announced on Tuesday as part of the company's latest earnings report.
A specific sales number was not divulged, but EA mentions that the game's single-player campaign alone "has been enjoyed for more than 113 million hours."
An EA representative told GameSpot that the "most successful launch" milestone is "based on units sold, but we are not disclosing that total."
For EA's third quarter ended December 31, the company posted $1.4 billion in net revenue, down from $1.6 billion this time last year. The company recorded a profit of $388 million for the three-month period, which compares to $398 million last year.
For the holiday quarter, EA said it was the number one publisher on Xbox One and PS4 across the world, driven by big-name games such as Dragon Age: Inquisition, FIFA 15, NHL 15, Madden NFL 15, EA Sports UFC, Titanfall, Battlefield 4, and FIFA 14.
Some other key highlights that EA mentioned included:
- SimCity BuildIt has achieved 22 million downloads since its release in December.
- Monthly active users for EA mobile games averaged more than 160 million during the period.
- EA mobile sports games Madden NFL Mobile and FIFA 15 Ultimate Team together averaged 45 percent more monthly active players compared to last year.
Some operating highlights included:
- $2.178 billion of EA's overall $4.337 billion in revenue during the trailing twelve months was digital, marking the first time digital has made up that significant a portion of overall sales.
- Net revenue for Ultimate Team services for FIFA, NFL, and NHL were up 82 percent year-over-year.
For more, check out the infographic below that features additional user statistics for EA games during the quarter.
The products discussed here were independently chosen by our editors. GameSpot may get a share of the revenue if you buy anything featured on our site.