Destiny 2 Patch Notes: Update Nerfs Hunter Shatterdive, Fixes Deep Stone Crypt Bug
After a ton of complaints about Hunters' new Stasis ability dominating the Crucible, Bungie has lessened its power.
A big chunk of the Destiny 2 community has had a rough time since the release of the Beyond Light expansion and the addition of its new icy abilities, known as Stasis. One ability in particular--the Hunter class's Shatterdive--has been dominant in PvP activities thanks to its massive damage protection and versatility. Bungie has heard players' complaints, though, and in its latest hotfix update to the game, it has nerfed Shatterdive significantly.
Bungie released the full patch notes for Update 3.0.2 on its website, and you can read them below. Mostly, the hotfix consists of bug fixes on various abilities and activities. In terms of new content, you can now take on the Harbinger activity for the Bird of Prey quest, which is related to Hawkmoon. The most significant change in the patch notes, though, is to Shatterdive. Bungie has cut the range of the ability's damage, the amount it affects enemies who aren't frozen by Stasis, and how much protection it affords to players who use it.
The Shatterdive ability worked by allowing Hunters to jump into the air and then crash down, generating a wave of energy that could destroy Stasis crystals created by things like Stasis grenades. Those crystals exploded, doing damage to any enemies or opponents nearby, while giving the Hunter heavy damage resistance during the fall. The result was that Hunters could use grenades and Shatterdive to kill enemies almost instantly, and what's more, the ability made them extremely tough to counter, since they became so difficult to kill. It wasn't uncommon to see a Hunter in the Crucible use Shatterdive to even kill Guardians who were using their Super abilities. Essentially, the ability was pretty highly overpowered.
With Update 3.0.2, Bungie reduced the maximum range of damage from 50 to 5, and reduced the amount of damage reduction the ability gives from 50% to 25%. That should mean that Hunters will have to be much closer to their targets to kill them with Shatterdive, and that other players will have a better chance of stopping a Hunter from using the ability altogether.
Another notable change in the patch notes is one to the Deep Stone Crypt raid. Bungie has fixed an exploit raiders have used in an early portion of the activity almost since it was first released. The section finds players riding their sparrows through a deadly blizzard, where spending too much time out in the elements gives them a debuff called Frostbite that can eventually kill them. Players have to race from safe haven to safe haven in order to avoid freezing to death, but the exploit allowed them to essentially become immune to the cold, drastically cutting down the challenge of the opening portion of the raid. With Update 3.0.2, raiders will have to make it through the sparrow portion legitimately--which is going to make "flawless" runs of the raid, where no member of the six-player team dies, a whole lot tougher to achieve.
Check out the full patch notes below.
Update 3.0.2 Patch Notes
- Fixed an issue where Code of the Siegebreaker path and Phoenix Cradle Exotic can create invisible Sunspots from Stasis crystals.
- Fixed an issue where Flawless Execution had a delayed trigger.
- Now has damage falloff vs. unfrozen targets.
- Max range damage reduced from 50 to 5.
- Damage reduction during ability reduced from 50% to 25%.
- Whisper of Fissures
- Reduced max/min damage vs. non-Super players from 42-22 to 30-4.
- Reduced max/min damage vs. super players from 42-22 to 16-2.
- Reduced detonation radius vs. players from 10m to 9m.
- Fixed an issue where Dragonfly could roll on the Cold Front Submachine Gun.
- It will be replaced with Swashbuckler.
- Fixed an issue where the Unrelenting perk was not triggering health regeneration.
- Fixed an issue where damage from the Deafening Whisper Grenade Launcher could not trigger the Abyssal Extractors perk on the Nezarec's Sin Exotic helmet.
- Fixed an issue where Cloudstrike hits on the Divinity cage counted as two precision hits.
- Fixed an issue where the Binary System ornament for Symmetry did not have enemy highlighting.
- Fixed a bug where MIDA Multi-Tool's catalyst wasn't dropping.
- Fixed Hive bosses, Ananh, Brood Queen, and Xillox not counting as Hive boss kills in bounties.
- Fixed an issue that prevented some quest items from dropping in the Moon freeroam activity.
- This prevented completion of several "Essence" quests, such as Essence of Rage, Essence of Insanity, and Essence of Servitude.
- Fixed an issue where the Champions Reward banner (Platinum, Gold, etc.) for Legend and Master Lost Sectors until was only showing up once a player returned to orbit.
- Fixed an issue where some players could not progress through New Light if they lose Zavala's Gift.
- Fixed an issue where some players couldn't respawn if they died during the boss fight of the Inverted Spire strike.
- Fixed an issue where a fireteam could encounter other fireteams in Sorrow's Harbor and be unable to complete the Scarlet Keep strike.
- Fixed an issue where players were not being notified that Grandmaster Nightfall was available.
- Fixed an issue where Grandmaster Nightfall timer was set to 30 minutes.
RAIDS AND DUNGEONS
- Fixed a bug where Garden of Salvation flawless completions would fail to award the Inherent Perfection Triumph.
- Fixed an issue in the Garden of Salvation raid where players could backtrack from the boss checkpoint to complete the first encounter again for rewards.
- Fixed a bug where Taken Psions would replicate too rapidly in some Prophecy dungeon encounters.
- Fixed an issue in Deep Stone Crypt raid where players could deal damage to Atraks-1 at an unintended time.
- Fixed an issue where players could exit the environment in the Deep Stone Crypt raid.
- Fixed an issue where players could have "Shelter From the Storm" permanently applied in the Deep Stone Crypt raid.
- Fixed various issues affecting the Guided Games version of Deep Stone Crypt.
- Fixed a bug in Deep Stone Crypt where players were stuck in suppressed state after crash.
- Improved health bar rubber-banding behavior in the Dûl Incaru boss encounter in the Shattered Throne dungeon.
- Removed "Might of the Traveler" Gambit weekly bounty.
- Fixed an issue causing high value targets to drop more motes than intended.
- Fixed areas where players could exit the environment in the following Crucible maps:
- Exodus Blue
- Widow's Court
- Twilight Gap
- Fixed an issue where Rumble matches were not entering overtime.
- Added missing lore tab for the Starfarer 7M Dawning ship.
- Fixed an issue where some quests provided by Eris used "challenge" iconography but didn't grant Powerful rewards.
- Iconography changed to normal quest branding.
- Fixed an issue which was causing the Season of the Hunt Lure to output lower than expected armor stats from the "Coup de Grace" Celebrant Hunt. Armor now has a much greater chance to be rewarded with a high-stat roll.
- Fixed an issue where powerful rewards from the Season of the Hunt mission "Coup de Grace" were not correctly gated weekly, per class.
- Optimized Lighting on PC GPUs to help increase performance.
- Fixed an issue where clan rosters were not loading correctly on PlayStation 5.
GameSpot may get a commission from retail offers.