Capcom Cup Canceled Citing Coronavirus Concerns
Capcom cancels this year's tournament but announces there will be an online-only tournament series in its place.
In response to an increase in COVID-19 cases, Capcom has decided to cancel its flagship fighting game series, the Capcom Cup. However, the event is living on, in a way, through an online season of the Capcom Pro Tour to be held in February.
The Capcom Cup and the Street Fighter League World Championship were scheduled to take place in person February 19-21, but Capcom has canceled both events due to the health crisis.
"While we strongly believe that we could have executed a great event with limited risk to players, staff, and crew, we have reevaluated as the situation has evolved and the state of the global pandemic has heightened," Capcom said in its announcement.
An online-only Season Final event will take its place. "All players who won an online premier will be invited to participate in the final and we are in the process of reaching out to all eligible players to secure their participation," the publisher said.
Full details on the new format for the online tournament series will be announced in the coming weeks, while the event itself will take place on February 20 and 21. As of now, the Evo 2021 tournament is still scheduled to take place in Las Vegas later this year. Last year's iteration was canceled after having already been planned as an online-only competition.
In other Capcom news, the company recently announced a Resident Evil Showcase event where the company will show off Resident Evil Village's gameplay for the first time and potentially announce a new Resident Evil multiplayer game.
GameSpot may get a commission from retail offers.