XBOX ONE downloads incredibly slow.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

danbechamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 danbechamp
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Why does my xbox one always take 18 to 24 hours easily to download big game, (for ex. i started downloading dragon age yesterday afternoon (3pm)& its at 88% right now (9am). Is it because i bought the day one edition. I have hi speed internet. So what could be the problem? It does that for every game such as Madden, COD ect.

BusterFriendly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 BusterFriendly
Member since 2014 • 242 Posts

It doesn't for me. I have a day one edition. It's probably your Internet connection. Are you using streaming video while it's downloading?

legendary70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 legendary70
Member since 2008 • 86 Posts

if you have at the least a cable connection that offers more than 20mbps speed it does not matter if you are watching a movie on Netflix. I have a 50+ mbps speed and it takes forever also.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

It´s not the console, it´s the speed your ISP is providing. At my home and at my business the speed I pay is the same, it takes around an hour to download 1 GB; if I want faster connection I have to pay my ISP more. So for X1 and PS4 with games in the 30 + GB you can expect download times taking forever.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Yes, this is a known problem on Xbone.

I have incredibly fast internet and the best Wifi Router released on the market. By comparison to the PS4, PC, or even in some cases the 360, the Xbone does installs/updates slow.

My Xbone experience is faster than most other Xbone owners, but that's only because of my fast internet and amazing router, but that said, it's still slow compared to my expectations and comparisons to other devices.

It's gotten to the point where I DO NOT DO ANYTHING ELSE when I'm downloading on Xbone, i just let the poor thing download and visit the machine hours or a day later (depending on my schedule).

You can watch videos all day on the slow updates and installs (there is MULTIPLE youtube video comparisons and legit tech site video comparisons between the new consoles, people buy multiplats on both machines and directly compare the installs and updates), and read developer reports on why Xbone updates and installs are so slow on Xbone...but I just work around it.

I believe this is the 100th thread I've seen on this subject since launch. People buy these things without researching it and then post the same questions that were answered before.

BusterFriendly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BusterFriendly

Yes, I can fabricate a video too.

SexyPorkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SexyPorkins
Member since 2007 • 1222 Posts

I've never had any issues. Downloaded the Halo 5 Pre-Beta that was 10 gig in amount 15 minutes. My speed is 30 mbps.

AMilli0NliGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 AMilli0NliGHTS
Member since 2014 • 26 Posts

I wonder if this is an internet speed problem, not an Xbox One problem. When I first got my Xbox One, about a month ago, I was expecting it to take forever to download my digital games because i've seen so many people on various forums complaining about the download speeds. I've seen max 45 mins to an hour for completely downloading and installing digital games. This is all while streaming Netflix, HBOGO, YouTube, ect... Maybe check with your ISP, I had to check with mine about fixing my speeds a few months ago.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts

I've got 65 megabits/sec download speeds and I've not had any bug issues. I bet it really sucks if you have shitty internet though.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts

@danbechamp said:

Why does my xbox one always take 18 to 24 hours easily to download big game, (for ex. i started downloading dragon age yesterday afternoon (3pm)& its at 88% right now (9am). Is it because i bought the day one edition. I have hi speed internet. So what could be the problem? It does that for every game such as Madden, COD ect.

What exactly do you mean by hi speed internet? I've seen 2 megabits/sec being called high speed internet, and sure it's not dial up but that's pretty damn slow.

Try running this - http://www.speedtest.net/ - show us the resutls.

Then again, the game could just be massive, I've no idea. Downside I guess of games being so big while we're still nowhere near the infrastructure needed to support it.

MortisPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MortisPenguin
Member since 2014 • 172 Posts

My Xbox One does not take that long to download games.

supergokublitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 supergokublitz
Member since 2005 • 651 Posts

I have never had a problem, saying that I do have 160mb. Try altering the mtu on your router settings, it effects upload times more but bear in mind that downloads send back small packets to the servers while downloading. Worth a try set mtu 1490 or above

willre00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 willre00
Member since 2012 • 158 Posts

It must be your internet, the longest download time I've had was probably around 3 hours. Also installing games to an external drive with a faster write speed may help you a bit but don't expect anything substantial.

IBroughtTheLag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 IBroughtTheLag
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

You guys complain about your internet speeds taking a few hours well ive been downloading one game since Christmas and it's 22%. 9% on warframe and 2% on blackflag. Yes ive stopped downloading three games at once but still. Yours in nothing compared to mine. Even on 360 about 5Gig takes about a whole day maybe over night. My router is good for small families with few devices. Exact opposite

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

@ibroughtthelag said:

You guys complain about your internet speeds taking a few hours well ive been downloading one game since Christmas and it's 22%. 9% on warframe and 2% on blackflag. Yes ive stopped downloading three games at once but still. Yours in nothing compared to mine. Even on 360 about 5Gig takes about a whole day maybe over night. My router is good for small families with few devices. Exact opposite

Ouch, that makes me feel a little better.

Avatar image for frankiebotzkidd
frankiebotzkidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 frankiebotzkidd
Member since 2014 • 68 Posts

@danbechamp: mcc is by far the worst I've experienced thus far

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@ibroughtthelag said:

Wow. I feel your pain.

synchro_w

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 synchro_w
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

i'd been connected and had fast ISP with O2 for several years but when sky bought up O2's ISP the speed seemed to drop to about 8mb/sec. it got worse because of 6 separate 'DAMP' patches the wire was attached to before it reached the junction box [which is in the building so i did have very fast speed which slowly got too bad to even use the telephone!]. the damp in the wall had worked itself thru to the inside of the wire and over 2 years made the line almost useless. sounds like you have an issue with your 'line' to your local junction box.

check your wire from your plug and all around your house. apparently the wire in my flat was 30 years old! so it needed replacing anyway, but that is typical of british telecom. in another flat i had a gf who had a tiny rabbit. it was so cute... until i found it eating thru the telephone line so i just repositioned the wire along the ceiling [the engineer would have been expensive so i did it myself].

seriously it does sound like your wiring has been damaged. Britain is bloody damp. why do you think the Romans left? it's really wet if you live in the north near the coast. critters and damp.

sevendaysaweek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 sevendaysaweek
Member since 2014 • 32 Posts

It took me about 24h to download Unity. Something of the same size would take about half that time to download on my PC. But I've heard, not sure if this is correct though, that downloading actually might get faster on your One if your downloading to an external drive.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Yeah, I noticed this too. Last gen it was PS3 who downloaded games slow compared to 360, but this gen it's PS4 that downloads much faster than Xbox One, at least for me.

For some odd reason, on PS4 I can download about 7 GB per hour but it generally takes about 2/3 hours to download the same amount of data on Xbox One.

I have a 20mb connection.

gregbmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By gregbmil
Member since 2004 • 2703 Posts

It's not your internet, it's the Xbox. I got an Xbox One about 2 weeks ago and mine took about 8 hours to download Unity, longer then I'll ever play it:). Anyways, my PS4 downloads at a very reasonal speed. If I download something off of Steam, it's usually at a constant 4mbs. My internet is 30mbs and they are all wired to the same router with 6 foot cords.

And what's up with the long installs off of a disk?!

BusterFriendly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BusterFriendly

It is your Internet as it doesn't happen to me and I don't have a magic Xbox.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22375 Posts

It could be something to do with Xbone because I notice for me that downloads on 360 are much quicker.

Dilrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Dilrod
Member since 2003 • 4257 Posts

I can assure you it is an xbone problem. I have 50 meg service and it takes forever to download on my Xbox one, yet I can download a game in about 20 minutes on my ps4. Total opposite of last gen. KI took like 6 hours.

JanDemacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 JanDemacker
Member since 2015 • 6 Posts

I just bought an xbox one and out of the box it requires an update of roughly 2GB.

The network connection (cable) is on average 185MB/sec. It has never gotten under 160MB/sec.

They update however took almost 18hrs.

Can anyone explain to me why with such a connection, my console refuses to use even 1% of my bandwidth?

If I were to download a game that is just released, maybe. Due to those servers being overloaded. But this is an xbox one update from MS themselves.

After an hour in a chat with xBox support:

Reset to factory settings or have it repaired.

Well a repair for a device 5 days old: no fucking way. I will get a new one at my PoS.

Clearly the reset did not do anything.

I will let people know if the new one has the same issues.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#28 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

Nowhere near that time for me. I downloaded NHL15 last night, 17.5 gigs in like hour and 20 minutes.

davem1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 davem1992
Member since 2009 • 4068 Posts

The download times on Xbox One are atrocious.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

This thread is now 5 months old. Don't bump old threads. Locked.