Xbox One as a full PC?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PainTrane117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 PainTrane117
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

Let's face it. The Xbox One could be a PC by itself. It's running a Windows 8 kernel, a modified Windows 8 OS and all the hardware is x86. The question is not IF it can be done, but how hard would it be? I know there has to be at least one savvy hacker out there that can make the Xbox One run a standard retail version of Windows 8 like a full-fledged PC. I fully believe it can be done, but maybe I'm insane? Think about how cool it would be if you could choose to boot into Windows or normal Xbox at startup. The Xbox One would make a pretty darn powerful PC, especially for the money. I don't know of anywhere you can get a PC that powerful for $500. What do you all think? Possibility?

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

You can easily build yourself something that will outpower the X1 for 500$

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By RimacBugatti
Member since 2013 • 1632 Posts

@PainTrane117:

Yes it's possible to build something for that price but not that size and efficiency. Do it if you can because I think it would be cool.

PainTrane117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 PainTrane117
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

@RimacBugatti: I tried mixing and matching different components and it's difficult to actually stay around $500 and build a PC with as much raw power (GFLOPS). So I think hacking this thing would be awesome. I would have a console and PC for the price of one.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 RimacBugatti
Member since 2013 • 1632 Posts

@PainTrane117:

Not to mention a PC that runs that cool is almost unheard of. My GPU on my PC spits out as much heat as my oven. I would say if you can do it than do it for sure. Probably would run pretty good. My PC crashes all the time so it's really annoying.

profanityVP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 profanityVP
Member since 2005 • 393 Posts
@MonsieurX said:

no... its funny how you pc elitist think, but try using some common sense, your 500 dollar pc, will not be able to run anything 3 years from now, whereas the xbox one will still have new games comming out for a long time after that, also, your 500 dollars will need to include an operating system, wifi adapter, blue ray player, wireless controller up to the same standards as the xbox one for it to be a fair comparison, so no, you cannot easily build a 500 dollar pc to outperform the xbox one,

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@profanityVP said:
@MonsieurX said:

no... its funny how you pc elitist think, but try using some common sense, your 500 dollar pc, will not be able to run anything 3 years from now, whereas the xbox one will still have new games comming out for a long time after that, also, your 500 dollars will need to include an operating system, wifi adapter, blue ray player, wireless controller up to the same standards as the xbox one for it to be a fair comparison, so no, you cannot easily build a 500 dollar pc to outperform the xbox one,

50$ a year for xbl gold and difference in the games prices make up for it

But the point is,you CAN build a 500$ dollar pc NOW that will outperform it