Why is everyone calling the new console "Xbox 720"?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by HyperWarlock (3256 posts) -

It's a god awful name for any console, doubling 360, really? I hope to god Microsoft don't call it that.

#2 Posted by leathaltaco (204 posts) -

it won't be called 720 it will be just "xbox"

#3 Posted by Mr-Gingersnaps (578 posts) -

well the playstation (insert number here) has been workin fo them. 720 isn't all that bad, better than the wii or wii U?

#4 Posted by sukraj (21902 posts) -

720 isnt to bad

#5 Posted by The_Last_Ride (69814 posts) -

It's a god awful name for any console, doubling 360, really? I hope to god Microsoft don't call it that.

HyperWarlock
Well it's just the same as ps1, ps2 and ps3. Why not be consistent? It's not that bad of a title
#6 Posted by res0i39c (2007 posts) -

I dont mind the name. And they all ready had, there first system called, xbox. So, they will need a, number at the end.

#7 Posted by Blueresident87 (5335 posts) -

better than the wii or wii U?

Mr-Gingersnaps

Worst named console(s) of all time, no doubt.

#8 Posted by -Vulpix- (2375 posts) -

Xbox 720 doesn't sound that bad how about Xbox 1080?

#9 Posted by NirdBerd (2116 posts) -

The only reason why the 360 is called the 360 is because calling it Xbox 2 would come across as 'inferior' to the Playstation 3 at the time, which is what I read somewhere (I'll see if I can find the link), I doubt they will just call it '720' sounds dumb.

Due to the success of the X360 they are probably not bothered about the name so they will either call it 'Xbox 3' or just 'Xbox' or whatever. Not that 720 crap.

#10 Posted by Mr_Bob471 (685 posts) -
I hope we get something a bit more creative than just, "Xbox". Microsoft did a pretty good job building the 360 brand, in my mind, in major part because the name made sense with the theme of the console.
#11 Posted by Trinitarian (1267 posts) -
ppl have been calling it xbox 720 for years. Its just a name coined by the fans so who cares. No one knows what it will be called and simply by doubling the 360 number it seems to be the coolest and easiest way to identify the next xbox so what of it, do you live under a rock?
#12 Posted by bkong0 (25 posts) -
It's just a fan name, don't worry about it.
#13 Posted by SoAmazingBaby (2737 posts) -
720 sounds twice the amount of awesome
#14 Posted by Flamingpostman (1172 posts) -

i honestly dont care... i just want somehting new

#15 Posted by a55a55inx (4136 posts) -
I really doubt that MS would call it the "720", it's just a play on the "360" name. I also doubt they would call it Xbox 3 (just because it sounds inferior to Xbox 360)... However, I did hear they may call it "Xbox Infinity".. but it's just a rumor.
#16 Posted by HyperWarlock (3256 posts) -

so what of it, do you live under a rock?Trinitarian

Yes.

f

#17 Posted by sambo2011 (411 posts) -

Because they are idiots.

#18 Posted by coasterguy65 (5843 posts) -

Should just call it Xbox wallet drain.

#19 Posted by SharkBar (5 posts) -
I've heard that "Xbox 8" might be a possibility to coincide with Windows 8.
#20 Posted by PurpleSmile (1068 posts) -
just Xbox would be better.
#21 Posted by pspitus (2396 posts) -

Well Xbox can't call it the the Xbox 3 cuz Playstation already has the rights to using single digit numbers, and they can't make it some weird name in an attempt to advertise a gimmick cuz Nintendo does that, so it makes sense to call it the Xbox 720. :lol:

#22 Posted by k2theswiss (16598 posts) -

don't think microsoft would go along with it. IT'S just something the online community has given it. I really wouldn't mind if they slapped 360 on it lol.

they can Try pull a apple move. "It's NOT not the apple ipad 3 guys, It's the NEW apple ipad"

#23 Posted by k2theswiss (16598 posts) -

Xbox 720 doesn't sound that bad how about Xbox 1080?

-Vulpix-
ps4k?
#24 Posted by pspitus (2396 posts) -

Lol dude, ur right, they should just call it the "X" XD

#25 Posted by ninjaroach81 (316 posts) -

I've heard that "Xbox 8" might be a possibility to coincide with Windows 8.SharkBar

Yep, that's my guess, especially since Microsoft has already trademarked "Xbox 8", among others.

#26 Posted by JustBoomer (184 posts) -

I think they will come up with a awesome name.

#27 Posted by JSambus (9 posts) -

don't think microsoft would go along with it. IT'S just something the online community has given it. I really wouldn't mind if they slapped 360 on it lol.

they can Try pull a apple move. "It's NOT not the apple ipad 3 guys, It's the NEW apple ipad"

k2theswiss

They might do something similair. If they do i hope they call it the nextbox instead...

#28 Posted by wwervin (10248 posts) -
The name originally started because, as you said, doubling 360 gives you 720. The other thing I can think of is that early reports showed the next Xbox was about 7 times as powerful as the 360. I guess the number 7 sort of fits in there nicely. I don't like the aesthetics of the name though. It doesn't roll off the tongue like 360 does. Maybe they should call it "NextBox" or I don't know.. Xbox 3? (although doubt it, they don't want to compete against the PS4 with X3). How about Xbox Infinity or something like that with a word after it rather than numbers? I don't know.. I don't work for Microsoft's PR department. They get paid to figure this out not me.
#29 Posted by BostonDieNasty (742 posts) -

HyperWarlock
cant wait for the xbox 1440 to come out
#30 Posted by pspitus (2396 posts) -

The X is going to be such an amazing system :P