why all the hate on EA?

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JoshChambers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 JoshChambers
Member since 2004 • 1646 Posts

I'm just curious why everyone is hating on EA? Don't get me wrong they have done their fair share of F up's in the past and have pushed out crappy game after crappy game. That being said they have, without a Shadow of doubt, started to change things around with the new management.

Their new president seems to believe in quality over quantity and has even said multiple times EA has messed up and is going to take the steps to fix it. This is already being shown by them #1 buying pandemic who is known for their quality and #2 by pushing Army of Two back because reviewers did not like it. Granted none of us will know how Army of Two will turn out but everything I've seen and heard (especially from multiple pod-casts) is that the extra time has made a world of difference.

Don't get me wrong, it wont be turned around overnight but I get the feeling that most people just jump on the hate EA bandwagon because its the cool thing to do. Some people just need to take a step back, look around and see what they are doing and then make their own decision about how the company is going.

Its not out of the weeds yet but it has started to work its way out.

JoshChambers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 JoshChambers
herbie12282

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 herbie12282
Member since 2002 • 2861 Posts
I like a lot of EA titles. My one of the things I like sometimes and hate others is. They seem to commercialize the crap out of games. EA has ingame ads everywhere. The first dynamic in-game ad i ever saw was in Splinter Cell Chaos Theory (which is not an EA title) and it freaked me out but i thought it was still cool they were able to do that. Then there's EA Trax, mixed bag is the best way to describe that. SSX3 had great tracks, Burnout Paradise, not so much. I don't consider myself an EA hater but it does bug me when they put all my favorite game francises under one roof.
RolandReeve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 RolandReeve
Member since 2005 • 3900 Posts
They makes ALOT of games probably a big chunk of the games some good some horrible(movie games) but one problem i had recently was them trying to buy Take-Two... if they bought take-two then EA would have a football monopoly because frankly Take-Two is their only competitor... and a monopoly means EA would not have to try hard making new football games
LightColor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 LightColor
Member since 2006 • 2709 Posts
i never disliked EA, not a fan either lol but EA is KOOL!!! lol cuz they r coming out wit Army of TWO :)! n feed us wit dem sports games :) lol
JoshChambers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JoshChambers
EA already has the deal signed through 2011 on madden so even if they dont by Take Two they still have no competition. Dont get me wrong, I dont agree with all their business moves but I can see they are trying to turn it around.
APOLLOCJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 APOLLOCJD
Member since 2007 • 2311 Posts

EA takeover of Take-Two means a monopoly company in sports games, and more poor released (based on EAs business methods). And personally I don't want to see production rights of games like Bioshock and GTA IV going to EA.

VDon't get me wrong, I love Madden 08 and NHL 08, but a little compition makes things better then EA just saying "hey we have all the rights to the sports games, we don't have to try hard this year".

xsfseal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 xsfseal
Member since 2004 • 510 Posts
EA is alright. they need to take more time in their games. Also if they do buy all these other game companies, then its wal-mart of video games. They need to let these other companies run their course, i really dont wanna see a mess involving gta material.
blujetz1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 blujetz1234
Member since 2004 • 225 Posts

besides football

EA taking 2k sports out

we would be stuck with crappy sports games like NBA Live and NHL

-DirtySanchez-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 -DirtySanchez-
Member since 2003 • 32760 Posts
its just the in thing to do, i have no problem with EA, theres certainly plenty of games from them i dont like and find to be rushed and cruddy, and i dont like some of their practices, but they still release some great games, and thats all i care about
ArsenicA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ArsenicA
Member since 2007 • 1446 Posts
cuz its cool to bash EA8)
iam2green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 iam2green
Member since 2007 • 13991 Posts
EA is only good for sports games madden, need for speed games thats all i can think of. them buying gta will end up being like true crime. a good rip off of gta, not so good shooter.
-DirtySanchez-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 -DirtySanchez-
Member since 2003 • 32760 Posts
EA is only good for sports games madden, need for speed games thats all i can think of. them buying gta will end up being like true crime. a good rip off of gta, not so good shooter. iam2green
the havent been good at madden for like 4 years now, the latest was a pure joke
Nocturnal15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Nocturnal15
Member since 2006 • 1476 Posts
Heres the big problem with EA. They are purchasing company after company just to get ahold of great franchises. So its goes a little something like this: They buy a company with a popular franchise and publish it, get a piece of the profit then they purchase the next company. EA is hardly making their own games these days. They just house a bunch of companies with good games and they publish them. And when EA does make a game its just more like an upgrade that really sucks. Though I dont like football or its games its pretty much done with since EA owns the licenses and rights. Next (if they acquire Take Two along with 2k) basketball games will go down the drain because we will have to play NBA live every year. EA needs to stop screwing with the industry. Sure other game developers purchase other smaller developers but at least they still make their own games THAT ARE GOOD.
ratchet3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ratchet3
Member since 2004 • 7883 Posts
The Fifa series are the only games that I buy from EA.
dillon3692

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dillon3692
Member since 2007 • 50 Posts

They make bad games.

and the games they do make are mostly just franchises that have added a new button or two every year, and make you pay $60 for that button.

Shas02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Shas02
Member since 2007 • 299 Posts

VDon't get me wrong, I love Madden 08 and NHL 08, but a little compition makes things better then EA just saying "hey we have all the rights to the sports games, we don't have to try hard this year".

APOLLOCJD

Exactly, well put. Personally to me 2K Sports puts out better quality games than EA. But EA has the NFL rights so we stuck with Madden for awhile. Damns Youse EA!:cry:

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

~~~all thery do is make remakes more then 70% crap is

~~~~all sport games suck ~well they good but all they change is stats and they asdd one little thing to try make it new

~~when they own to much stuff they think they be able do what they want buy makeing stupid games they should join microsoft

OfficialBed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 OfficialBed
Member since 2005 • 17668 Posts
can't wait for army of two...pre-ordered it today...and i can't remember the last time i pre-ordered a game
R7_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 R7_3
Member since 2006 • 1565 Posts
i don't hate EA i just don't like that they see good games coming from other companies, so they just think hey let's buy them, and for buying the license to the NFL, so we don't have any options for football games, so if the new madden's no good we're screwed til the next year:evil:
paul52181

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 paul52181
Member since 2004 • 1051 Posts
EA is developing Dead Space in-house and publishing it. It looks like it'll be an awesome game if you like the survival horror genre. I'm definitely gonna pick it up when it comes out.
MikeTheRage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 MikeTheRage
Member since 2007 • 43 Posts
I became and EA lover after skate. came out. That game is sick
lando423

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 lando423
Member since 2004 • 83 Posts
I Just do not care for them because they bought out Bioware and thats my faviorite company and they work really hard on there games and EA could mess up there future instalments.
johnnyv2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#24 johnnyv2003
Member since 2003 • 13762 Posts
everyone hates EA because they represent "corporate america"....it's american to hate the big corporations....when's the last time saw a movie that a large corporate entity playing the good guys?....i dont really love or hate EA...if they f' with Bioware then i'll start the hatred, as Bioware has been releasing quality titles before EA could barely walk... i'm actually secretly hoping for the Take Two deal to go down, because there would even more a chance that MVP Baseball will come back, and MVP Baseball 05 isn't just the best sports game of all time, it's one of the best overall.
Avatar image for YourChaosIsntMe
YourChaosIsntMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 YourChaosIsntMe
Member since 2007 • 1228 Posts

Because it's cool to be reactionary, man. EA really are serving a purpose. It really is the cycle of capitalist economics. As the industry expands, select companies like EA, Activision-Blizzard, Microsoft, and Sony (we'll certainly see a few more major companies develop an extended vested interest either in part or in total of various developing/publishing companies. This phenomena is the product of the expansion of a given industry, and serves to indirectly stimulate growth of other various publishers and developers whom are not financially related to the major publishers. This has been coming to fruition gradually for decades, though has only become a point of interest due to growth in the video game industry. Furthermore, where in-game advertisements are concerned, they will be increasingly necessary if you expect to continue to purchase video games with a high production value. The various publishing companies have to consider how to maximize profits for shareholders to stimulate further investment while also considering the expectations of the end user, or consumer. If you studied economics (and you should), you would know that EA haven't even formed the basis of a monopoly. Even if they were, the acquisition of development companies can be just as positive as it can be negative. What's upsetting is when development teams that underperform are dismantled more quickly under companies like EA than they are under other publishing companies. Such growth, generally, can also stifle creativity and individualism in video game design. I don't expect to see many ICOs or Earthbounds this generation, if you know what I mean. Given the ease of development for the Wii, such titles may simply migrate from the Playstation console to the Wii (and PSN/XBLMP), which could also catalyze further issues concerning independently developed media's production value and quality, such as we've seen with sites like YouTube.

The problem that both the producer and the consumer in any expanding industry have to address is the reconciliation of industry standards of development and creativity with the characteristics of a rapidly growing industry and market, as well as a much more diverse demographic.

Also, who expects sports franchises to change drastically year to year? Though I must admit, Madden has been horrendous lately, though they made up for that with the latest FIFA. Advertisement in these games is perfectly acceptable. I don't mind seeing advertisements for energy drinks, Puma, Adidas, and Umbra in FIFA. It really shouldn't be an issue, because it only adds to the realism. Some games obviously should not include advertising, like Bioshock, Assassin's Creed, or Metal Gear.

mikel222222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mikel222222
Member since 2004 • 1162 Posts

EA is alright. they need to take more time in their games. Also if they do buy all these other game companies, then its wal-mart of video games. They need to let these other companies run their course, i really dont wanna see a mess involving gta material.xsfseal

agreed

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#27 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
They're a huge marketing/advertising machine, that may sometimes forget about quality over quantity. I was never fan, and still not one. But I have nothing against them whatsoever. More power to them, but dont you dare touch GTA. ;)
bazanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 bazanger
Member since 2004 • 2838 Posts
i don't have anything against them. i've been playing their games since i was a wee little lad, and never had a problem. i mean yeah, the sports games are just the same year after year, but really, what do you expect them to change? it's not like they can rewrite the rules of football. BUT, skate was a solid game. on the other hand though, i really hate how they're buying out all these companies. i never really care for a certain developer, i just go for whatever game looks good to me, but one company running the whole show just seems like kind of a let down. i don't want Grand Theft Auto 09 or Bioshock 2010, Half Life: Episode 37, or anything like that. i say EA, stop buying out companies. make your own games, get your own ideas, and leave everyone else alone.
JoshChambers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 JoshChambers

dont get me wrong I understand what most of you are saying. EA has without a shaddow of a doubt put out crappy games in the past but isnt it obvious with their new management that they are trying to turn things around? Skate was a solid game and delaying Army of Two after it went to be reviewed took guts. They realized the game wasnt ready so they pulled it back and worked on it some more.

I'm sure it will take people a little while to get over their past but I just see a lot of people hating on them just because its the cool thing to do. Dont be sheep people, look for yourself and see what you think.

I am by no means an EA fanboy and will pass on a lot of their games but I can see they are trying to make a change and people should really look at what they are doing now, not what they did in the last 5-10 years.

jakedogg14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 jakedogg14
Member since 2003 • 665 Posts

Advertising.

I paid $60 for this game, so please don't spoon feed me Burger King advertisments.

JoshChambers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 JoshChambers

I dont understand the annoyance of advertising in games? I'm assuming for burger king you are speaking of fight night? Have you watched a real boxing match? There is advertising all over the place in real fights. Why should it be any different in a video game?

Dont get me wrong it shouldnt be in every game but with certain titles it adds realism to it.

Azurathe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Azurathe
Member since 2003 • 498 Posts

Same reason i wont buy ANYTHING at Wal-Mart. After hearing about that who over-worked/underpaid employee, spousal support group, having to make a payout to their employees for unpaid earned money, i wont contribute in any way to their success.

Plus, like 80% of their games are pure garbage.

JoshChambers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 JoshChambers

Same reason i wont buy ANYTHING at Wal-Mart. After hearing about that who over-worked/underpaid employee, spousal support group, having to make a payout to their employees for unpaid earned money, i wont contribute in any way to their success.

Azurathe

once again that was OLD management. This is the type of stuff I am talking about. Yes that did happen but it was a few years ago and it has changed now. I know people who work for multiple parts of EA (mainly in testing) and it is all different now. How long would you how a grudge on something once they have stopped?

2pac_makaveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 2pac_makaveli
Member since 2008 • 1681 Posts
name a really good game theyve come out with since the 360 and ps3 came out? i take it u didnt get a 360 at luanch when every game they came out with was rushed and crap. they havnt gotten much better since that.
2pac_makaveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 2pac_makaveli
Member since 2008 • 1681 Posts
name a really good game theyve come out with since the 360 and ps3 came out? i take it u didnt get a 360 at luanch when every game they came out with was rushed and crap. they havnt gotten much better since that.
xThExEniGmAx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 xThExEniGmAx
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

EA have the worst online servers i've come across.

Period.

Polish_Dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Polish_Dragon
Member since 2003 • 85 Posts

I dont like them because yes, in the past they made horrible horrible games.

Also they are viewed as more of a mainstream publisher/developer, which usually meant bad quality in the past.

codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#39 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts
- Madden-ing bad games. - Absolutely no effort in fixing any of the bugs in their series that have lasted more than a couple of sequels. - Madden killed off the competition and quality in NFL football games. - They absolutely destroyed the Def Jam franchise in one game (ICON). - in-game ads are meant to offset the cost of making the game and provide an alternate revenue stream. So why the hell is EA putting in-game ads AND charging us full price? - EA Trax is about as pretentious and self-loathingly inappropriate background music for nearly every game it's featured in. - They're already eyeing up to buy exclusivity for all college sports, after getting soundly defeated by 2k which has consistently made the superior collegiate sports games. - Have you ever noticed that the only games that actually turn out GOOD from EA are the ones that they've absolutely nothing to do with? VALVe ensured EA stayed the hell out of the content for the Orange Box, only letting them handle the job of porting to the console platforms, and not only did they epically **** up the PS3 release, but delay it an additional month for additional insult. - Despite all their claims to beef up the quality of Wii titles, they consistently have ****ed up every single Wii title they've ever published, and use more checklist functionality inappropriately than any other publisher that's made a Wii game thus far. - Madden 08 still has bugs and glitches that have existed since the franchise started about 17 years ago, and even now only looks marginally better than NFL 2k5... on a last-gen console. - You don't go watching an HD broadcast of a sports game on TV and expect to get the radio show jockeys calling the play-by-play. Yet EA seems all too content to do exactly that with their sports games. - Even in the odd chance that they do get something right, there are so many bad things surrounding it, it's still not worth playing (Burnout Paradise) - Their incessant need to pump out identical sequel after sequel and never really trying to improve or change up things for the better. - Army of Two is probably the first original EA property in certainly more than five years now. But knowing EA, they will find some way to **** it up epically. - Remember "EASpouse" ? Considering I'm aspiring to get into this field, stuff like what EA did during that debacle disturbs me greatly.
ronnet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ronnet
Member since 2003 • 9637 Posts

Maxis before EA:

Let's innovate the industry and try out new things! Even if they end up sucking (and they will) then atleast we are trying!

MAxia after EA:

Let's make the Sims, 15 expansions, it's sequel and another 15 expensions!

Westwood before EA:

Awesome developer

Westwood after EA:

R.I.P.

Bioware before EA:

We make the games we want to make, we now have an great idea for a sci-fi trilogy!

Bioware after EA:

EA is great to us, they are willing to help us make more Mass Effect games after the trilogy is finished.

These are just a few examples from the EA hall fo shame.

mackey12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#41 mackey12345
Member since 2005 • 198 Posts
I don't mind them, they published some fantastic games, but they buy the company, sell them out, then put them into there own company, Westwood suffered this loss, so did Dreamworks, Pandemic and Bioware I bet are right behind...
Ed_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Ed_The_Great
Member since 2008 • 193 Posts
EA sports games are not even close to what the competitors have to offer.They seem to be more focus on giving more contents than gameplay.They also give you alot of trick moves to pull off to beat your opponent instead of relying on your skills.Which looks cool but only you find it to be unstoppable and uncounterable.I call that cheating but I guess that is how you mask your weak gamplay.In their Madden Games,your star running back will automatically do moves that you didn't even do.What is the satisfaction in that?Sometimes when I'd try to run out the bound to stop the clock and a defender comes to try to tackle me my RB would just spin off him back in bound automatically.I really try to overlook the flaws and try to enjoy the game but after playing 2K5 Fotball I'd wonder how Take-Two can get it so right and EA would get it so wrong.
JoshChambers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 JoshChambers

name a really good game theyve come out with since the 360 and ps3 came out? i take it u didnt get a 360 at luanch when every game they came out with was rushed and crap. they havnt gotten much better since that.2pac_makaveli

actually I have had a 360 since launch and I've been gaming for over 20 years. Two recent games that come to mind are Skate and Burnout. Both are quality games and from all the previews and things I'm hereing the extra time they took with Army of Two looks like its going to pay off as well.

Am I saying all their games are great? No. But no publisher's games are. IMO, at the end of the day they are no worse then any other publisher. Sure in the past they were but now I dont see it.

MrArmageddon8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 MrArmageddon8
Member since 2007 • 6846 Posts
I like it some of you guys claim to hate them because they're attempting to create a monopoly and yet you have no second thought when you buy MS products.
codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#45 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts
I like it some of you guys claim to hate them because they're attempting to create a monopoly and yet you have no second thought when you buy MS products.MrArmageddon8
In my case, the only MS products I've purchased thus far are regarding the Xbox. All my MS software has been free thanks to school.
Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts
[QUOTE="Azurathe"]

JoshChambers

once again that was OLD management. This is the type of stuff I am talking about. Yes that did happen but it was a few years ago and it has changed now. I know people who work for multiple parts of EA (mainly in testing) and it is all different now. How long would you how a grudge on something once they have stopped?

There's one MAJOR flaw with that argument. The "new" man at the top, John Riccitiello, used to be the President and COO of EA from 1997 to 2004. While his return may make the shareholders happy, it means the same man is running the company as he was in the period where you say they have moved on from.

FearTheRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 FearTheRain
Member since 2008 • 1470 Posts

.JoshChambers

Exactly!!

That's why I don't like EA!

reubendarosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 reubendarosa
Member since 2005 • 2727 Posts
It's true, EA is changing and slowly bringing out more quality titles. As for people bashing EA. Let them, Won't it push EA to make better titles?
sirkel28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#49 sirkel28
Member since 2004 • 347 Posts

Because EA are advertising freaks, some of the games they put out you can't fast forward past the advertising movies everytime you start the game up, and the games made by EA that I own seem to take longer to start up than any other game, BF2 for example takes like forever before you can actually start playing a multiplayer game, COD4 on the other hand, bam you are ready too go, no BS adverstising and waiting.

They are also buying up everything, so that means less competition, which is always bad for the consumer. Quality of EA games on average seem more rushed and buggy, meaning they are more concerned with profit that making a quality game for the customer.

Maybe they are improving on some of these aspects, I don't know.

reubendarosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 reubendarosa
Member since 2005 • 2727 Posts

I'm sorry bud, EA games taking longer to start is not a smart way to say the games are worse. I understand EA is big on advertising though that doesn't mean their latest games have been bad, They've actually been good.

I'm not EA Lover or Hater i'm just telling it like it is.