Who is for sure going to buy the xbox one?

• 200 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

seanb12398

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 seanb12398
Member since 2013 • 57 Posts
I'm not sold on it yet :/
bboy2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 bboy2k
Member since 2003 • 257 Posts

who's gonna buy the xbox one? those who want to lose all their money lol

seanb12398

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 seanb12398
Member since 2013 • 57 Posts

who's gonna buy the xbox one? those who want to lose all their money lol

bboy2k
That's one demographic lol
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#4 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

i'm not interested in kinect nor do i want skype etc so i will not not waste my money on microsoft.

i_noseworthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 i_noseworthy
Member since 2003 • 1585 Posts
I think classic mob mentality is ruling out too many options on the xbox one. I'm not sure why people are so threatened by having extra capabilities along with their gaming console. The specs are impressive, although admittedly not mind-blowing. There are a few quirks for sure (kinect always on) but that doesn't mean that developers will be tied to motion control. It just means that it will likely be integrated in more ways. I really think had MS stayed too close to what the PS4 is offering, people would have blamed them for copying or losing their edge. The xbox one was poised, from a release perspective, to fail in the public eye. Not much could be done about that really. Had xbox one been announced first, the quirks would not be quite as apparent, and the PS4 would likely be blamed now for "missing options". Just my take, and could be wrong, but I'm interested in both. It's way way WAY too early to write either off at this time.
Tokeism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Tokeism
Member since 2006 • 2365 Posts
I might get it, the price will be a big factor.
Geminon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Geminon
Member since 2012 • 1177 Posts
[QUOTE="i_noseworthy"]I think classic mob mentality is ruling out too many options on the xbox one. I'm not sure why people are so threatened by having extra capabilities along with their gaming console. The specs are impressive, although admittedly not mind-blowing. There are a few quirks for sure (kinect always on) but that doesn't mean that developers will be tied to motion control. It just means that it will likely be integrated in more ways. I really think had MS stayed too close to what the PS4 is offering, people would have blamed them for copying or losing their edge. The xbox one was poised, from a release perspective, to fail in the public eye. Not much could be done about that really. Had xbox one been announced first, the quirks would not be quite as apparent, and the PS4 would likely be blamed now for "missing options". Just my take, and could be wrong, but I'm interested in both. It's way way WAY too early to write either off at this time.

the specs for the xbox one are not impressive at all... especially considering half of the resources are going to go to the OS...
i_noseworthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 i_noseworthy
Uggh. I won't get into a semantics argument. In terms of running games, and compared to the PS4 and Wii U, I'm fine with it and the leap from the 360. I'll leave it at that.
JohnFifteen12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JohnFifteen12
Member since 2012 • 205 Posts

There are a few quirks for sure (kinect always on) but that doesn't mean that developers will be tied to motion control. It just means that it will likely be integrated in more ways. i_noseworthy

You need to understand that many people do not view the Kinect as a simple "quirk", they view it as an outrageous violation of privacy. A high definition camera with full access to people's homes, while also listening in on what is being said, is something straight out of 1984. It will be very interesting to see just how many people will invite this into their homes.

andmcq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 andmcq
Member since 2012 • 259 Posts

Will have to wait and see what else they offer at E3. They are making it hard to like though. I don't like or want Kinect, the consoles size makes it impractical in my living room, graphically it will probably be inferior to Ps4 (especially Ps4 exclusives). The only feature that 'sells' me Xbox One is Forza, but if Gran Turismo delivers this time on Ps4 then I think the Xbox One is very much largely irrelevent.

driftingsilvia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 driftingsilvia
Member since 2005 • 4089 Posts

It's more of the fact that you can't disable kinect that bothers me. Being monitored is not something I want from a console.

destinhpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12 destinhpark
Member since 2006 • 4831 Posts

i know everyone seems worried about it but in the end i know each and every one of them are going to end up buying it, including myself.

EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#13 EvilSelf
Member since 2010 • 3619 Posts

If it is below $ 99 then i will get it. Anything more than that is not worth it. Let's see:

• I am not paying for Kinect
  • I am not paying for the cable crap
  • I am not paying extra to play used games. Screw that!
  • I am not paying for another DVR

Taking all that into consideration 99 bucks seems fair.

Geminon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Geminon

It's more of the fact that you can't disable kinect that bothers me. Being monitored is not something I want from a console.

driftingsilvia
it has been stated many times by official MS sources that the kinect can be turned completely off. it just has to remain plugged in.
Geminon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Geminon

If it is below $ 99 then i will get it. Anything more than that is not worth it. Let's see:

EvilSelf
you will pay to play used games on PS4 as well. quote me on it.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

EvilSelf

Considering you're buying used games you don't really matter right?

You don't bring anything to the industry, so losing you is no big deal.

XxAK47xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 XxAK47xX
Member since 2005 • 5003 Posts

I think classic mob mentality is ruling out too many options on the xbox one. I'm not sure why people are so threatened by having extra capabilities along with their gaming console. The specs are impressive, although admittedly not mind-blowing. There are a few quirks for sure (kinect always on) but that doesn't mean that developers will be tied to motion control. It just means that it will likely be integrated in more ways. I really think had MS stayed too close to what the PS4 is offering, people would have blamed them for copying or losing their edge. The xbox one was poised, from a release perspective, to fail in the public eye. Not much could be done about that really. Had xbox one been announced first, the quirks would not be quite as apparent, and the PS4 would likely be blamed now for "missing options". Just my take, and could be wrong, but I'm interested in both. It's way way WAY too early to write either off at this time. i_noseworthy
people think they are the shit. i hate how Microsoft clearly tells people that that press conference was going to have no games and yet people are still surprised till this day. Its amazing how slow people are. Maybe that's why they don't like change. 

EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 EvilSelf

[QUOTE="EvilSelf"]

Jaysonguy

And this is because we have blind followers like you... Tips pay for your consoles mate?

EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 EvilSelf

[QUOTE="EvilSelf"]

Geminon

you will pay to play used games on PS4 as well. quote me on it.

Probably. I am not saying i will buy PS4 neither.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#20 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

i know everyone seems worried about it but in the end i know each and every one of them are going to end up buying it, including myself.

destinhpark

Not everybody is a brainwashed pacified consumer....some of us can exercise independent thought and show above 3rd grade intelligence.:) I'm not ruling out buying one, but until MS clears up a few issues that are still in the dark, I'm still on the fence.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="EvilSelf"]

EvilSelf

And this is because we have blind followers like you... Tips pay for your consoles mate?

Nice deflection

You don't bring anything to the industry because you don't support them. I'm not trying to be mean I'm just telling the truth.

You don't help anything, you take the scraps.

You're not a demographic that anyone wants.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MarcRecon

[QUOTE="EvilSelf"]

Jaysonguy

Wow, as a consumer how can you make a statement like that?

EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 EvilSelf

[QUOTE="EvilSelf"]

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Jaysonguy

Nice deflection

You don't bring anything to the industry because you don't support them. I'm not trying to be mean I'm just telling the truth.

You don't help anything, you take the scraps.

You're not a demographic that anyone wants.

You made a generalization about what i buy or dont buy. Just because i mentioned used games doesn't mean this is all i buy. Actually, as a demographic, i fall into the exact crowd that Microsoft targeted during their Xbox One reveal conference! So they are very much interested in my dollar, but on the other hand, i am not following the gimmicks they spouted at me like DVR, cable integration, ESPS stuff all that nonsense. And then i am hearing the used games fee is present and i say: forget it. If i buy a game, a media whether optical or whatever, i own the damn thing and i should be able to sell it.

This used game sell becomes difficult when there is a fee for activating it. It is beyond ridiculous!

i_noseworthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 i_noseworthy

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="EvilSelf"]

MarcRecon

Consumer or not, truth is truth. Used games provide nothing to the industry. The initial sale of the game is what mattered. Any further reselling does nothing for the developers. In terms of profit, a used game is about as good as a pirated game. Companies like EB thrive off of used games because the profit for them is ridiculous. They take a new game, drop $5 off for a "Used" title, and all it means is more money in their jeans. It allows them to rip-off the consumer with oddball pricing and a major disconnect between what is paid to a customer versus what they pay for a used game. When everything is factored in, used game fees actually help the industry. I'm not saying I like them, or ethically agree with them, but from a monetary aspect they make perfect sense. And if used games will be subject to fees, then you can bet companies like EB will be forced to lower used game prices, bringing them in-line a little more fairly with actual used merchandise market value. I'm gonna get jumped on for most of that post, and jump away. I get that it's founded on shaky ground with a decidedly polarizing view. But again, truth is truth. Revenue has to come from somewhere, and used games are not a source.
JohnFifteen12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 JohnFifteen12

It's funny how the only the only industry that seems to be crying about "used sales" is the gaming industry.

I don't hear Ford or Chevy crying when people sell their used vehicles, I don't hear movie studios crying when I sell my used DVD's and Bluray's, but I hear it nonstop from the gaming industry.

Video games bring in an obscene amount of money every year, and there is more than enough to go around. What we are dealing with, though, is pure greed on the devs/publisher side of things, where they feel that they should be making ALL of the profits on their games, ALL of the time.

They made their money on the initial sale. If that is good enough for every other industry out there, it is good enough for the gaming industry. If they are not happy with their overall profits, then they should start by taking a good look at some of the garbage they are trying to sell for $60 these days.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MarcRecon

[QUOTE="MarcRecon"]

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

i_noseworthy

Consumer or not, truth is truth. Used games provide nothing to the industry. The initial sale of the game is what mattered. Any further reselling does nothing for the developers. In terms of profit, a used game is about as good as a pirated game. Companies like EB thrive off of used games because the profit for them is ridiculous. They take a new game, drop $5 off for a "Used" title, and all it means is more money in their jeans. It allows them to rip-off the consumer with oddball pricing and a major disconnect between what is paid to a customer versus what they pay for a used game. When everything is factored in, used game fees actually help the industry. I'm not saying I like them, or ethically agree with them, but from a monetary aspect they make perfect sense. And if used games will be subject to fees, then you can bet companies like EB will be forced to lower used game prices, bringing them in-line a little more fairly with actual used merchandise market value. I'm gonna get jumped on for most of that post, and jump away. I get that it's founded on shaky ground with a decidedly polarizing view. But again, truth is truth. Revenue has to come from somewhere, and used games are not a source.

Well....just because we don't see eye to eye does not mean that I or anyone else should bite your head off!!!:) What you said is fact and I do agree with SOME of it...it's just kinda crazy to hear the average consumer(not saying you)defend a company(not just MS)when the only care they have for you is taking money out of your pocket.

tubb311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 tubb311
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

i'm not interested in kinect nor do i want skype etc so i will not not waste my money on microsoft.

sukraj
I find these reasons humorous because more than likely if you buy PS4, you will have just as many features that you will use once than never look at again. personally, now that I know they are not blocking used games, I am leaning more towards purchasing it. That being said microsoft still needs to WOW me with a great E3 showing or I will not buy it.
i_noseworthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 i_noseworthy

It's funny how the only the only industry that seems to be crying about "used sales" is the gaming industry.

I don't hear Ford or Chevy crying when people sell their used vehicles, I don't hear movie studios crying when I sell my used DVD's and Bluray's, but I hear it nonstop from the gaming industry.

Video games bring in an obscene amount of money every year, and there is more than enough to go around. What we are dealing with, though, is pure greed on the devs/publisher side of things, where they feel that they should be making ALL of the profits on their games, ALL of the time.

They made their money on the initial sale. If that is good enough for every other industry out there, it is good enough for the gaming industry. If they are not happy with their overall profits, then they should start by taking a good look at some of the garbage they are trying to sell for $60 these days.

JohnFifteen12
Completely different industries with entirely conflicting business models. I hear what you're saying, but the argument holds no weight. A car might change hands twice before it's useful life is expended. A game can last forever and be traded a million times, it'll still function as new. Most car parts are provided by manufacturers, or other (reputable) part companies pay them fees to produce compatible parts. So a used car is a source of revenue and never truly bridges the realm into a liability. By analogy, a used game will become no different. Buy used, you're free to, but expect some sort of upkeep fee. @MarcRecon - well thank you for not attacking me and being more than civil :) Again, I can agree with your view on some points, and buying used is definitely an attractive option for many reasons. But helping the industry isn't one of them. Now I'd never point a finger directly at used purchasers and say you're killing gaming, I don't think that's the case. But as with all deals in life, you have to be willing to accept some amount of sacrifice. Much as in cars above, the risk can then be proportionately spread to the consumer as well as the manufacturer. With gaming currently, there is none. All risk falls squarely on the developer and publishers shoulders.
JohnFifteen12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 JohnFifteen12

Completely different industries with entirely conflicting business models. I hear what you're saying, but the argument holds no weight. A car might change hands twice before it's useful life is expended. A game can last forever and be traded a million times, it'll still function as new. Most car parts are provided by manufacturers, or other (reputable) part companies pay them fees to produce compatible parts. So a used car is a source of revenue and never truly bridges the realm into a liability. By analogy, a used game will become no different. Buy used, you're free to, but expect some sort of upkeep fee.  i_noseworthy

You are really grasping at straws. I give you an "A" for effort, but it is still nonsense, with all due respect.

Your argument could be applied to almost anything, yet only the gaming industry seems to feel entitled to profit from the sale of used goods.

Movies, CD's, books, artwork, electronics and countless other things can be traded a million times, but the creators of those items realize that they have no right to profit every time one of them gets sold or traded on the used market.

There is no other way around it, the gaming industry is simply angry that the used game market is very profitable, and they feel that they should be getting those profits instead, using the (very lame) reasoning that they are the ones who have done all of the work in making the product. It's almost like dealing with a spoiled child, at this point.

The irony of the situation is that if they get what they wish for, they will do a great deal of damage to the entire industry.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Jaysonguy

I don't hear Ford or Chevy crying when people sell their used vehicles

JohnFifteen12

That's pathetic.

The fact that you're using that trying to make this argument shows you can't discuss it correctly

i_noseworthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 i_noseworthy

[QUOTE="i_noseworthy"] Completely different industries with entirely conflicting business models. I hear what you're saying, but the argument holds no weight. A car might change hands twice before it's useful life is expended. A game can last forever and be traded a million times, it'll still function as new. Most car parts are provided by manufacturers, or other (reputable) part companies pay them fees to produce compatible parts. So a used car is a source of revenue and never truly bridges the realm into a liability. By analogy, a used game will become no different. Buy used, you're free to, but expect some sort of upkeep fee.  JohnFifteen12

You are really grasping at straws. I give you an "A" for effort, but it is still nonsense, with all due respect.

Your argument could be applied to almost anything, yet only the gaming industry seems to feel entitled to profit from the sale of used goods.

Movies, CD's, books, artwork, electronics and countless other things can be traded a million times, but the creators of those items realize that they have no right to profit every time one of them gets sold or traded on the used market.

There is no other way around it, the gaming industry is simply angry that the used game market is very profitable, and they feel that they should be getting those profits instead, using the (very lame) reasoning that they are the ones who have done all of the work in making the product. It's almost like dealing with a spoiled child, at this point.

The irony of the situation is that if they get what they wish for, they will do a great deal of damage to the entire industry.

Electronics become obsolete and are replaced with newer models. Electronics also break down and are prone to needing repairs. Again, finite life. Movies and music don't use DVD's and Blu-ray (and ESPECIALLY CD's) as their main form of revenue. Every studio would go broke. That's what concerts and theaters are for. Physical media just propels extra income. So the risk level isn't there. Books - I almost see your point there. But books are a profit monster compared to games. That's why most seem so outrageously priced per copy - because they are. And in part, they are because of the fact that they are so easily and commonly traded. The industry has built in a safeguard from the top. So again, the risk is entirely in a different realm than gaming. As much as we get bent out of shape for paying $60 for a game, they are in reality undervalued. Many game companies sell millions of titles and still barely break a profit. Blockbuster titles fare better of course, no doubt there. Smaller companies may bleed money until they disappear. Gaming has no other form of revenue outside of selling physical copies. There are no after-market parts (although DLC is closely the same, offering extra income flow without the need to sell extra copies of the game proper), no theaters, no concerts, basically no other distribution method. So no, the argument isn't the same across the board. It's not even in the same universe. Used games hurt the industry. Always have, always will. So, grasping at straws? No, not at all. You're putting a puzzle together from multiple boxes and fooling yourself into seeing a clear image.
JohnFifteen12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 JohnFifteen12

We will just have to agree to disagree, no point in getting into an endless back and forth. :)

It's obvious we just see the issue from two different angles.

SoAmazingBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SoAmazingBaby
Member since 2009 • 3023 Posts
i am! :)
i_noseworthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 i_noseworthy

We will just have to agree to disagree, no point in getting into an endless back and forth. :)

JohnFifteen12
K, now that makes 2 reasonable people in the same thread. My head just asploded! Ha, for sure we have different views. I'm not discounting yours for sure, and from a base level I even agree with the "game companies are greedy" part. But when you break down the factors involved in why they are greedy, it begins to make a little more sense. I would ask that you look at the industries you are grouping together, though. It's not your argument that I take any issue with, it's the facts you're using to support the claim. Anyways, I agree to disagree. No back and forth necessary indeed. If we all thought the same, the world would be a horrible, horrendous place.
JohnFifteen12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 JohnFifteen12

It's not your argument that I take any issue with, it's the facts you're using to support the claim.i_noseworthy

Understood, and I feel the same way about yours (not surprisingly). I realize that the gaming industry is claiming that it is unique to all others, but I think that argument is a phony and self-serving one, so that is why I make the comparisons to other industries/products: I do not accept the distinction. 

If you are in the industry, I would simply caution you to rethink kicking this hornet's nest, but I agree that we are all entitled to our own beliefs/feelings, and in the end it will be gamers that decide whether this is an acceptable direction for the industry to go in.

i_noseworthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 i_noseworthy
I do not accept the distinction.JohnFifteen12
That's the important part. The distinction exists without your acceptance. If you have good reason to reject reality, please state it. As of yet, you have failed to do so.
JohnFifteen12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 JohnFifteen12

[QUOTE="JohnFifteen12"]I do not accept the distinction.i_noseworthy
That's the important part. The distinction exists without your acceptance. If you have good reason to reject reality, please state it. As of yet, you have failed to do so.

Yes, that is the core of the matter. We clearly disagree on the state of reality. I feel that the distinction being claimed is nonsense, and is only claimed as a justification to increase profits on the backs of gamers and retailers, while you feel that there is a legitimate distinction that warrants special treatment. All I can ask is that you respect my interpretation of reality, as I will respect yours.

I think something else to keep in mind is that regardless of whether or not these used game "fees" are fair or not, gamers are clearly outraged over what they are hearing, so while it may be the "right" thing to do, it could very possibly be the "unwise" thing to do. That is why I suggested that the industry needs to be careful what they wish for, they may get that chunk of used games sales they so desperately want, but they may just turn their industry upside down in the process. 

Anywho, hopefully my posts are not coming across as confrontational, I'm just offering up my observations as a longtime gamer who is concerned about the direction the industry is headed.

Titanman2013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Titanman2013
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Actually, it was quite entertaining to read the back and forth and that the end result wasn't a fight over each others mothers character. Refreshingly better then the comment section on any of the articles. Either way - Not enough information for either choice - i owned the Xbox for the last two iterations.
AJC3317

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#39 AJC3317
Member since 2003 • 2546 Posts
unless the games at e3 blow me away (doubtful since I would bet at least half of them are crap and/or heavily Kinect focused) I can't see myself getting one
alexwatchtower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 alexwatchtower
Member since 2010 • 1561 Posts

I have not decided yet but I love the Kinect integration, I love the fact they're going to try to do cloud computing, I love the fact they are investing a lot of money into new studios and hopefully some new IP's and I love the new Xbox One controller. And I love to see games like Quantum Break that are trying to break out of the norm.

At the end of the day, it's not about the console. It's about the content and it's about the features it offers. And to me it's also not about used games. I don't look at console reveals and worry about used freaking games. I came here because I'm interested to see what NEW games or NEW experiences it provides. At the end of the day, that's what it's going to come down to.

Will it have wow-worthy, fresh, entertaining experiences that's going to be worth the money? They certainly seem to have built the right platform to make that happen, and with enough bells and whistels to get me excited about the possibility and potential of next generation gaming. Now I'm just waiting to see if they can also deliver the kind of content that can do the same.

It's just too early.

alexwatchtower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 alexwatchtower
Member since 2010 • 1561 Posts

[QUOTE="i_noseworthy"]

There are a few quirks for sure (kinect always on) but that doesn't mean that developers will be tied to motion control. It just means that it will likely be integrated in more ways. JohnFifteen12

You need to understand that many people do not view the Kinect as a simple "quirk", they view it as an outrageous violation of privacy. A high definition camera with full access to people's homes, while also listening in on what is being said, is something straight out of 1984. It will be very interesting to see just how many people will invite this into their homes.

I think that's outrageous.:P

Most of the info that's come out about Kinect is a bunch of crap mixed in with a bunch of sensationalism for clicks. And if I do find out it's trying to do something funny, what the hell is going to stop me from unplugging it? Is it going to blow up?

Geminon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Geminon

[QUOTE="JohnFifteen12"]

[QUOTE="i_noseworthy"]

There are a few quirks for sure (kinect always on) but that doesn't mean that developers will be tied to motion control. It just means that it will likely be integrated in more ways. alexwatchtower

You need to understand that many people do not view the Kinect as a simple "quirk", they view it as an outrageous violation of privacy. A high definition camera with full access to people's homes, while also listening in on what is being said, is something straight out of 1984. It will be very interesting to see just how many people will invite this into their homes.

Most of the info that's come out about Kinect is a bunch of crap mixed in with a bunch of sensationalism for clicks. And if I do find out it's trying to do something funny, what the hell is going to stop me from unplugging it? Is it going to blow up?

people thinking that big brother is using kinects to watch them in their home is hilarious. wear more tinfoil hats.... you can shut the device completely off, it just has to remain plugged in. get over yourselves.... your lives arent that interesting that ANYONE would want to watch you for ANY reason.
VothicX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 VothicX
Member since 2003 • 1842 Posts

[QUOTE="alexwatchtower"]

[QUOTE="JohnFifteen12"]

You need to understand that many people do not view the Kinect as a simple "quirk", they view it as an outrageous violation of privacy. A high definition camera with full access to people's homes, while also listening in on what is being said, is something straight out of 1984. It will be very interesting to see just how many people will invite this into their homes.

Geminon

people thinking that big brother is using kinects to watch them in their home is hilarious. wear more tinfoil hats.... you can shut the device completely off, it just has to remain plugged in. get over yourselves.... your lives arent that interesting that ANYONE would want to watch you for ANY reason.

You have the internet, so this comment is without excuse. Except that hopefully you do not know any better. The device in question is not a big brother issue per-say. It's a hacker, crazed employee, data mining, creepy, uncontrollable issue. Perhaps... just perhaps, others know more then you do. Then you come in here with your tin foil hats comment. I can assure you many great professionals have written articles and stories on such things... if you would care to simply research. That is why I will no longer argue such things to someone that clearly has the internet.

And youre wrong. Eveyones lives are more important then you could ever imagine. Thats why data mining DOES exist. These devices WILL attempt to data mine you beyond what your PC currently does. They earn a profit off that, and clearly you and many others are completely oblivious to it. This is a console. Sold to children. So yes. Its creepy as hell.

VothicX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 VothicX

[QUOTE="JohnFifteen12"]

i_noseworthy

K, now that makes 2 reasonable people in the same thread. My head just asploded! Ha, for sure we have different views. I'm not discounting yours for sure, and from a base level I even agree with the "game companies are greedy" part. But when you break down the factors involved in why they are greedy, it begins to make a little more sense. I would ask that you look at the industries you are grouping together, though. It's not your argument that I take any issue with, it's the facts you're using to support the claim. Anyways, I agree to disagree. No back and forth necessary indeed. If we all thought the same, the world would be a horrible, horrendous place.

Retail chains that recycle used games do in fact help the industry. If this did not exist, then what happens to all the games that are not sold after a long period of time. Shelf space is not eternal. All games are not created or marketed equally. If player (G) trades in (X) amount of old games, then uses that for a new game... well the brick and mortar just flipped a sell and increased numbers sold for the media to tout for a developer. (Weather) the economy is good or bad this system works out for everyone. It keeps the industry moving. Nobody should question how much the brick and mortar spins on this, as they deserve profits for all their work. In before angry foolish disagreement. ATARI says hello. So does ET.

Geminon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Geminon

[QUOTE="Geminon"][QUOTE="alexwatchtower"]

VothicX

You have the internet, so this comment is without excuse. Except that hopefully you do not know any better. The device in question is not a big brother issue per-say. It's a hacker, crazed employee, data mining, creepy, uncontrollable issue. Perhaps... just perhaps, others know more then you do. Then you come in here with your tin foil hats comment. I can assure you many great professionals have written articles and stories on such things... if you would care to simply research. That is why I will no longer argue such things to someone that clearly has the internet.

And youre wrong. Eveyones lives are more important then you could ever imagine. Thats why data mining DOES exist. These devices WILL attempt to data mine you beyond what your PC currently does. They earn a profit off that, and clearly you and many others are completely oblivious to it. This is a console. Sold to children. So yes. Its creepy as hell.

this wins the most retarded post of the week award. congrats. its like you are trying to be some sort of hippy, pro life, cryptologist, conspiracy theorist... and failing at all of the above. nobody buys your bullshit. you can shut the device off.... problem solved. the idea that someone is going to hack in to xbox live and then somehow hack into your xbox, hack into your kinect, and then watch you in your house is COMPLETELY LUDICROUS. you have to be some seriously high level tinfoil hat wearing dumbass to even come up with that shit. the kinect has to send video data back to MS in the first place, which it DOESNT, OBVIOUSLY, considering the device only has to be connected once every 24 hours, and only long enough to verify files... there is absolutely no way in hell it is going to upload any video data in that amount of time considering the size of that type of file. and before you say "they can just stream it".... they sure as **** CANT, considering the XBOX does NOT need to be online to be used... so how would streaming happen? aside from that, there are privacy laws that prevent corporations from doing EXACTLY what you are talking about. you think a multi billion dollar company would not take measures to reduce the possibility of opening themselves up to massive law suits that would occur if something like this happened? i mean come on, how dumb are you?
VothicX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 VothicX

[QUOTE="VothicX"]

[QUOTE="Geminon"] people thinking that big brother is using kinects to watch them in their home is hilarious. wear more tinfoil hats.... you can shut the device completely off, it just has to remain plugged in. get over yourselves.... your lives arent that interesting that ANYONE would want to watch you for ANY reason.Geminon

this wins the most retarded post of the week award. congrats. its like you are trying to be some sort of hippy, pro life, cryptologist, conspiracy theorist... and failing at all of the above. nobody buys your bullshit. you can shut the device off.... problem solved. the idea that someone is going to hack in to xbox live and then somehow hack into your xbox, hack into your kinect, and then watch you in your house is COMPLETELY LUDICROUS. you have to be some seriously high level tinfoil hat wearing dumbass to even come up with that shit. the kinect has to send video data back to MS in the first place, which it DOESNT, OBVIOUSLY, considering the device only has to be connected once every 24 hours, and only long enough to verify files... there is absolutely no way in hell it is going to upload any video data in that amount of time considering the size of that type of file. and before you say "they can just stream it".... they sure as **** CANT, considering the XBOX does NOT need to be online to be used... so how would streaming happen? aside from that, there are privacy laws that prevent corporations from doing EXACTLY what you are talking about. you think a multi billion dollar company would not take measures to reduce the possibility of opening themselves up to massive law suits that would occur if something like this happened? i mean come on, how dumb are you?

Your comment is exactly what I expected. Use the internet... everyone else does.

Geminon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Geminon

[QUOTE="Geminon"][QUOTE="VothicX"]

VothicX

Your comment is exactly what I expected. Use the internet... everyone else does.

and your comment has absolutely nothing to do with anything. just some vague statement to try and deflect that you look like a tinfoil hat wearing idiot. if you knew anything, you would know that your privacy evaporated years ago. i hate to break it to you but governments all over the world are watching all cameras, everywhere, all the time. your sense of privacy is an illusion. they can listen to your cell conversations... see you through your cell camera... tap into the web cam on your computer.... listen to your skype conversations.... HELL... they dont even need any of that, and can just focus in on whatever they want to see with satellite real time images... all without telling you and you are really worried about a camera connect to A GAMING SYSTEM!?!?! LOLOLOL... you truly are deluded. get the **** out of here.
VothicX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 VothicX

[QUOTE="VothicX"]

[QUOTE="Geminon"] this wins the most retarded post of the week award. congrats. its like you are trying to be some sort of hippy, pro life, cryptologist, conspiracy theorist... and failing at all of the above. nobody buys your bullshit. you can shut the device off.... problem solved. the idea that someone is going to hack in to xbox live and then somehow hack into your xbox, hack into your kinect, and then watch you in your house is COMPLETELY LUDICROUS. you have to be some seriously high level tinfoil hat wearing dumbass to even come up with that shit. the kinect has to send video data back to MS in the first place, which it DOESNT, OBVIOUSLY, considering the device only has to be connected once every 24 hours, and only long enough to verify files... there is absolutely no way in hell it is going to upload any video data in that amount of time considering the size of that type of file. and before you say "they can just stream it".... they sure as **** CANT, considering the XBOX does NOT need to be online to be used... so how would streaming happen? aside from that, there are privacy laws that prevent corporations from doing EXACTLY what you are talking about. you think a multi billion dollar company would not take measures to reduce the possibility of opening themselves up to massive law suits that would occur if something like this happened? i mean come on, how dumb are you?Geminon

and your comment has absolutely nothing to do with anything. just some vague statement to try and deflect that you look like a tinfoil hat wearing idiot. if you knew anything, you would know that your privacy evaporated years ago. i hate to break it to you but governments all over the world are watching all cameras, everywhere, all the time. your sense of privacy is an illusion. they can listen to your cell conversations... see you through your cell camera... tap into the web cam on your computer.... listen to your skype conversations.... HELL... they dont even need any of that, and can just focus in on whatever they want to see with satellite real time images... all without telling you and you are really worried about a camera connect to A GAMING SYSTEM!?!?! LOLOLOL... you truly are deluded. get the **** out of here.

You are a posting contradiction. Im glad we agree on something.

2006 says hello! =)