Uneven Price System

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Steve_K911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Steve_K911
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

Hey, have been looking for some information for a while now as to why the prices for video games have become uneven and quite frankly unfair since the release of the "Next Gen" consoles. Not so sure about the WiiU, but have noticed that retail price for video games on the XOne and PS4 are stark differences on this side of the pond. We used to pay around £40 for a game, which would be around $60 if i'm not mistaken, and customers in the US have paid that price for some time now right?

Why is it now that UK customers are having to pay £60 for a game, whilst US customers still pay $60? That means UK gamers are having to fork out 50% more for a game and it has bugged me for a while.

Any opinions on this would be great, especially from folks in the US.

BusterFriendly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 BusterFriendly
Member since 2014 • 242 Posts

How much of that is in tax? The US you'll probably pay another 4%-5% in retail sales tax to the state for discs. Downloads only some states charge a tax.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

In Mexico games cost pretty much the same of what they cost in the US, however we do not enjoy discounts in hardware like in the US.

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#4 garfield360uk
Member since 2006 • 20381 Posts

@steve_k911:

Is this on the digital store or in shops? If you are paying £60 for games from stores (such as Game or HMV) then you need to start shopping around as most places still sell for around the £40 price point. The digital store is an exception to that rule though, some games are reasonably priced and some are just over the top as you say. Why this happens? I am unsure, I think VAT has something to do with it, but my guess is the publishers just change the $ sign to a £ one.