The new "xbox" will most likely be backwards compatible with 360 games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

guitarsmash09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 guitarsmash09
Member since 2012 • 145 Posts

If they were to release it next year, they would most likely make it backwards compatible, because of the big titles releasingn next year for 360, if i were to make the new xbox, i would want to make more sales by letting original xbox 360 games work.

OR

They screw us over and make 720 copies of the games that we have to buy :3

Avatar image for HilbillyRokstar
HilbillyRokstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 HilbillyRokstar
Member since 2007 • 3236 Posts

If it's not, they will work to make compatibility updates, just like they did for the 360.;)

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#3 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
It'll probably be like the 360, they'll support it initially so more people upgrade, then when a lot of people have upgraded and a decent library is out for the new system, they wont support it anymore. Either way I wont be buying it day 1.. I'll wait until they have a good bundle deal and there are lots of games out already.
HilbillyRokstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 HilbillyRokstar
It'll probably be like the 360, they'll support it initially so more people upgrade, then when a lot of people have upgraded and a decent library is out for the new system, they wont support it anymore. Either way I wont be buying it day 1.. I'll wait until they have a good bundle deal and there are lots of games out already.Rattlesnake_8
What are you talking about? The 360 did NOT have backwards compatibility. It took a while, but they made backward compatibility updates available, which they continued to do for years.
SoAmazingBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SoAmazingBaby
Member since 2009 • 3023 Posts
Source?
balfe1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 balfe1990
Member since 2009 • 6747 Posts

Unlikely.

The architecture of the next console will probably be different to the 360, so BC will have to be done via software emulation, which is usually shaky at best.

That also requires time, money and effort to write the code and develop stable versions. And lately, the industry has gotten into the habit of releasing HD collections i.e. they slightly jazz up games from previous generations a slap a pricetag on it. Having the ability to play the games you already own on your new console would put a dampener on any incentive to re-purchase that game with slightly tweaked visuals.

At best, I'd expect only the most popular first party games and a select few third party games to run on the 720. And their performance will probably leave a lot to be desired.

balfe1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 balfe1990
Member since 2009 • 6747 Posts

[QUOTE="Rattlesnake_8"]It'll probably be like the 360, they'll support it initially so more people upgrade, then when a lot of people have upgraded and a decent library is out for the new system, they wont support it anymore. Either way I wont be buying it day 1.. I'll wait until they have a good bundle deal and there are lots of games out already.HilbillyRokstar
What are you talking about? The 360 did NOT have backwards compatibility. It took a while, but they made backward compatibility updates available, which they continued to do for years.

They had a number of games that could be run on the 360 straight off the bat.

They kept adding to that list until around '07/'08.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

I really don't expect the next Xbox to be compatible with 360 games.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#9 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

Source?SoAmazingBaby

Agreed and the fact that he said "MOST LIKELY"....in almost all cases means no! lol....So when it doesn't happen they always have the excuse that they or a source said most likely!!!

HilbillyRokstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 HilbillyRokstar

[QUOTE="HilbillyRokstar"][QUOTE="Rattlesnake_8"]It'll probably be like the 360, they'll support it initially so more people upgrade, then when a lot of people have upgraded and a decent library is out for the new system, they wont support it anymore. Either way I wont be buying it day 1.. I'll wait until they have a good bundle deal and there are lots of games out already.balfe1990

They had a number of games that could be run on the 360 straight off the bat.

They kept adding to that list until around '07/'08.

Because they ran out of games either A-worth updating, or B-able/cost effective to update.

Flamingpostman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 Flamingpostman
Member since 2006 • 1172 Posts

very unlikley because so many new titles just were released....that would be stupid on their part.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts
i hope have backwards compatible i want it
Millard11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Millard11
Member since 2012 • 62 Posts

Im sure major titles will be just like when the 360 released. Halo 4, call of duty, assassins creed, and mass effect 3 and new realeases this year, but probably not with older titles.

Sonny360Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Sonny360Elite
Member since 2009 • 1593 Posts
Well duh! But it's possible that the next 360 will not even have a disc drive. It could be all digital. I think they'll try to include a Blu Ray drive though and if they do that then they'll make it so it will play 360 games. Still early and pointless to be talking about. Go read a book or something.
Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#16 Talldude80
Member since 2003 • 6321 Posts

I really don't expect the next Xbox to be compatible with 360 games.

Vari3ty

sadly I agree. I'll just keep my xbox360 to play games on it. the "xbox720" may not even have a disc drive..... we'll just have to see.

rigzzsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 rigzzsy
Member since 2010 • 349 Posts

there won't be another xbox

ever

cain19822004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 cain19822004
Member since 2005 • 1382 Posts

I very much doubt that MicroSoft's next console will have backwards compatibility, I mean come on, look at the lacklustre list they did of Original Xbox games they did for the 360, that's a pretty weak list of games for 3/4 years of work.

I know it took time, effort and resources, which is exactly why after that much time of working on emulation, the list should have been far more comprehensive, but instead we got short changed, like they maybe had a small team when they really should of had a department set up for it.

So no, I honestly feel that the next generation of consoles will forego all pretense of backwards compatibility, call me cynical, but that's where I stand.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#19 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
they better do that, if not it's just bad business
mjf249

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#20 mjf249
Member since 2004 • 3000 Posts
I honestly would prefer the 360 to be backwards compatible but I believe it's highly unlikely. Especially with the new hardware it's going to expensive, and as cheap as the components may become it might still be to expensive to include the 360 GPU and CPU in the next Xbox. I would like to see some sort of software emulation but I am not crossing my fingers to much.