Sunset Overdrive review embargo. Really?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

Let's not wait for the cash to flow in with those great review scores prompting mad preorders we'll just hide it from the world completely and catch as many fish as we can.

Review embargos suck. Incredibly stupid people who preorder games they know nothing about suck more. They are the reason publishers are controlling absolutely everything. I hereby issue a plea to all incredibly stupid people to jump off a cliff. Thanks in advance.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#2 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

Okay, what is this about exactly?

Smallville0608

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3 Smallville0608
Member since 2013 • 87 Posts

It is a policy that will generally keep me from preordering a game. Embargoes make me extremely leery.

CrossFire245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 CrossFire245
Member since 2007 • 1085 Posts

Embargoes are hit and miss. Sometimes, the developer really does have something to hide (example: Destiny). Other times, they are just standard procedure and the game is still great (off the top of my head, South Park: Stick of Truth and NBA2K15 are two games that come to mind).

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3700 Posts

Embargos are not a bad thing. They're there to prevent sites and publications from rushing to get the first review out. It encourages reviewers to play the game to its fullest. Sure they get abused from time to time, but it's not inherently bad.

Avatar image for jasonredemption
jasonredemption

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 17

#6 jasonredemption
Member since 2010 • 691 Posts

@vl4d_l3nin said:

Embargos are not a bad thing. They're there to prevent sites and publications from rushing to get the first review out. It encourages reviewers to play the game to its fullest. Sure they get abused from time to time, but it's not inherently bad.

^ This

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 blueinheaven

Judging by the review scores there was nothing to worry about. I don't think publishers care who gets reviews out first. They used to when review exclusives were a 'thing' but they are not anymore.

Great to see it's a good exclusive anyway. I'll pick it up at some point. I still really hate review embargos though.

tmorri603

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 tmorri603
Member since 2003 • 407 Posts

I was worried about no review but the reviews are very good. The re-spawns are one of the highlights of the game. I love seeing them.

BronxBomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BronxBomber
Member since 2003 • 13398 Posts

Sunset is a game where the embargo kinda hurt, IMO. I waited to preorder because I was afraid it was going to disappoint and now it is getting great reviews but I don't want to get it now because I have preordered other games coming up like Dragon Age, Halo MC, and Farcry 4. In a busy market, it might have been better to get strong word of mouth sooner.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 blueinheaven

@BronxBomber said:

Sunset is a game where the embargo kinda hurt, IMO. I waited to preorder because I was afraid it was going to disappoint and now it is getting great reviews but I don't want to get it now because I have preordered other games coming up like Dragon Age, Halo MC, and Farcry 4. In a busy market, it might have been better to get strong word of mouth sooner.

That's another way to look at it. It was never on my radar really except out of curiosity. I too will be buying Halo MCC (I know what I'm going to get) and DAI for PS4 because I just can't say no to Dragon Age but usually I never preorder anything. If the SO reviews came out a lot earlier and there was a huge buzz about it I might have had it on my list of priorities. It really is a completely backward way to market a game or I suppose not market it at all which is basically what they've done.