Should I get an xbox 360..(+CoD4) ? Im broke :(

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RE4WiiGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 RE4WiiGirl
Member since 2007 • 1144 Posts

Ok so ive only ever had a N64 and Wii, so im obviously a Nintendo girl (can I say Nintendo in here lol?) and I know nothing about other consoles especially xbox 360. Im considering getting an xbox after coming to the sad realisation that the Wii games cannot compare to the best shooter and driving games on the 360, let alone its hardware and system performance. Watching IAA awards today I saw almost every winning game was available on the 360 and I knew I was missing out. I dont exactly have $600AU atm to fork out on another console, so if I do buy one it wont be for a while I guess.

Ive heard there have been a heap of new xboxs breaking down and needed very expensive repairs, which has put me off buying one alot. Im also wondering about CoD4. Ive heard the actual gameplay isnt that long or great, but the online is the best (how many players online at once?). Is it a multiplayer game aswell and how many players at once?

Would the 360 controls be easy for me to get used to do you think? What about in CoD4, would it take me forever to get used to the new controls?

Although if I waited long enough and it turned out that RE5 and CoD5 (if its not by the cod3 company that apparently is crap?) come to the Wii, then I would not get an xbox. :?:roll:
Im so confused, and annoyed, and upset. Do I really want to spend that much money just to sit on my *** for hours every week becoming addicted (no offense to you guys, sorry if that came across rude), + im flat broke atm. But its all I can think about, im going crazy. I have 2 consoles setup atm, do I really need a 3rd?
:(

Thanks in advance! Juls

(Edit: Ive just read somewhere that you have to pay to play games online... is this true?!)
(Edit2: Ok so you need to pay for 360 live thats ok, just hope I would use it often enough, although im broke so i couldt afford it anyway :lol: )

zoe256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 zoe256
Member since 2007 • 2821 Posts
I have a 360 and a Wii and I like them both very much, the controls for a 360 are quite natural and I'm sure you'd be able to cope. I would reccomend getting a 360 aswell because you can enjoy different types of gameplay to that on the Wii. Call Of Duty 4 is a great game, and I don't really think the Wii could do it justice.
Avatar image for 8732_YoungJeezy
8732_YoungJeezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#3 8732_YoungJeezy
Member since 2008 • 1656 Posts
Well if you get a 360 now, you wont get the RROD (red ring of death) So you don't have to worry about that. And i think its up to 16 players for the online. The mutliplayer is really really great and I think you'll enjoy it. The 360 controls seem easy for me, but if you never played an xbox it will probably take you an hour or so to get use to the controls. Plus there's other great games out there like Turok just came out, Mass Effect, and also Halo 3. I would recommend getting a 360 but it's all on your taste and preferences.
Apocalypse324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 Apocalypse324
Member since 2007 • 1486 Posts

The RROD problem still has not been fixed, even in the newer consoles but it seems less rare, but if it does break down it will cost you nothing to get fixed.

Avatar image for SMASHED_ASPHALT
SMASHED_ASPHALT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SMASHED_ASPHALT
Member since 2007 • 1777 Posts
My 360 is fine and I have had it since launch. I wouldn't worry too much about the 360 breaking because you can always send it in for free repairs. If you like the games you see on it then yes get one when you can afford it.
kayn83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 kayn83
Member since 2004 • 2214 Posts
I hate to promote a "system wars" thing but i'd probably rather get a PS3 if the only games you want are CoD4 and RE5. It's a better value imo. If you also want Halo 3, Mass Effect and Bioshock... well maybe you should get a 360 lol.
denawayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 denawayne
Member since 2005 • 581 Posts
I know this might sound complicated but make sure you look on the side of the box that the 360 comes in before you buy it. If the power wattage is 203w DO NOT BUY IT. Make sure it says 175w. These are the newly engineered systems with a smaller chip and are less likely to break.
XBadNewsX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 XBadNewsX
Member since 2004 • 1332 Posts

Only keep a Wii and the Xbox 360. The way I think of it is that there are 2 kinds of games now a days. Normal games and Unique games. Xbox gets the majority of the best normal type games and the Wii get's unique games.

Also yes you have to pay. you get 1 month free but after that you have to pay 8 bucks a month UNLESS you get a 3 month or a year $50. Which is about as much as a game and it's pretty much worth it I'd say. Because unlike the competition it has the best online component. The online play is worth it.

also CoD4 has an amazing storyline and it is kinda short but there are no boring parts at all. And the online play is up to 16 players but you never need that many people to have fun. A good 7 or 8 people is enough. The experiance points and weapon costumization to rank up is great too. You'll rarely meet anyone who agrees on one type of weapon and style.

Nocturnal15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Nocturnal15
Member since 2006 • 1476 Posts

I hate to promote a "system wars" thing but i'd probably rather get a PS3 if the only games you want are CoD4 and RE5. It's a better value imo. If you also want Halo 3, Mass Effect and Bioshock... well maybe you should get a 360 lol.kayn83

PSN doesnt compare to XBL(for cod4 and all other multiplat online games). Dont start nonsense. The grill already failed. As for the TC dont get a 360 until you have enough money to buy the console a few games and still have enough money to sit back on for yourself. Being broke sucks. Ive used all types of controls and the only control I never was able to get use to is the gamecube.

DonMega187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 DonMega187
Member since 2007 • 1103 Posts

Ok so ive only ever had a N64 and Wii, so im obviously a Nintendo girl (can I say Nintendo in here lol?) and I know nothing about other consoles especially xbox 360. Im considering getting an xbox after coming to the sad realisation that the Wii games cannot compare to the best shooter and driving games on the 360, let alone its hardware and system performance. Watching IAA awards today I saw almost every winning game was available on the 360 and I knew I was missing out. I dont exactly have $600AU atm to fork out on another console, so if I do buy one it wont be for a while I guess.

Ive heard there have been a heap of new xboxs breaking down and needed very expensive repairs, which has put me off buying one alot. Im also wondering about CoD4. Ive heard the actual gameplay isnt that long or great, but the online is the best (how many players online at once?). Is it a multiplayer game aswell and how many players at once?

Would the 360 controls be easy for me to get used to do you think? What about in CoD4, would it take me forever to get used to the new controls?

Although if I waited long enough and it turned out that RE5 and CoD5 (if its not by the cod3 company that apparently is crap?) come to the Wii, then I would not get an xbox. :?:roll:
Im so confused, and annoyed, and upset. Do I really want to spend that much money just to sit on my *** for hours every week becoming addicted (no offense to you guys, sorry if that came across rude), + im flat broke atm. But its all I can think about, im going crazy. I have 2 consoles setup atm, do I really need a 3rd?
:(

Thanks in advance! Juls

(Edit: Ive just read somewhere that you have to pay to play games online... is this true?!)

RE4WiiGirl

I had a wii and a 360 I sold my wii b/c i never used it. nuiff said.

RE4WiiGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 RE4WiiGirl
Thanks for all the replies so far :)

Another thing is i dont really care for the dvd player because we already have a few lol, and i dont need a 20gb hdd, unless its used for games storage and stuff I dont know about..?? Yeh I guess the price of 1 year live subscription is ok if I used it enough, but still, strapped for cash atm lol :(
druggyjoe3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 druggyjoe3000
Member since 2006 • 1523 Posts
well u will need a 20gb hd because u can store so much data and the load screens are better and if your still strriped of cash sell one of your dvd players or something because u said u have so many and since it is standard u will get the value right back
RE4WiiGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 RE4WiiGirl

well u will need a 20gb hd because u can store so much data and the load screens are better and if your still strriped of cash sell one of your dvd players or something because u said u have so many and since it is standard u will get the value right backdruggyjoe3000

Nah I said 'we already have a few' but we need them (as in 2 lol). Is it possible to get a x360 without a dvd player so its cheaper?

Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

Ive heard there have been a heap of new xboxs breaking down and needed very expensive repairs...RE4WiiGirl

360s fail much less often than they did in the months following the release of the system. Statistically, that should not be a major concern for you.

Would the 360 controls be easy for me to get used to do you think? What about in CoD4, would it take me forever to get used to the new controls?RE4WiiGirl

This I can definitely address. I was a PC-only gamer before the original Xbox came out. To play shooters on the Xbox, I had to go from using a mouse and keyboard to using the Xbox gamepad. It really wasn't that difficult. Twenty minutes of getting used to it, and I was playing through Halo on Normal. The movement in most 360 shooters are very finely tuned to the analog sticks. It's pretty intuitive, at least once you figure out whether you're a "regular" or "inverted" person.

Do I really need a 3rd?RE4WiiGirl

That's for you to figure out. You don't really need any consoles. As someone on another thread here noticed, there are a lot of shooters on the Xbox. If you like shooters, then the Xbox is great. I'd find a friend who has a 360, play some games, and then make a decision.

sem450

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 sem450
Member since 2003 • 32 Posts

it's only free repairs if it's the RROD. if you get one red light you have to pay for the repairs. the extended warranty doesn't cover everything.

Pyrostar9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Pyrostar9
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

It's not possible to get the 360 without the DVD player to avoid higher cost. It comes as is.

The Premium Xbox360 (20 GB HDD) is your best bet because the memory stick that comes with the Arcade version (The cheapest one) fills up entirely too quick. The Arcade is more for people who might want to play maybe two or three games OFF-LINE every now and then. If you're going to be paying however much Live costs, you're going to want to take advantage of all it has to offer aside from on-line play, like 360 themes, gamer pictures, game trailers, demos, arcade, etc. etc.

The memory stick simply can't hold all of this. And like mentioned before, loading times are cut down with the HDD which is a blessing in disguise.

The arcade is also something you'll probably end up taking advantage of too. Hundreds of classic games for a resonable amount (full list here: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/livearcadexbox360/) that won't fit on that small memory stick.

If you're going to pick a next-gen system for right now, go 360. The games list is phenomenal, the customer support is fast (RRoD), and it looks good.

If you're going to wait, throw up your options and see what you REALLY want as far as games go. PS3 is going to have Haze, Final Fantasy 13, Resident Evil 5 and Metal Gear Solid 4. But as far as right now goes, my Ps3 is collecting dust after I beat Uncharted.

RE4WiiGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 RE4WiiGirl

it's only free repairs if it's the RROD. if you get one red light you have to pay for the repairs. the extended warranty doesn't cover everything.

sem450

Whats exactly is this Red Ring of Death thing?? What else goes wrong with the xbox that id have to pay to get fixed?

Pyrostar9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Pyrostar9
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

The Red Ring Of Death (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_technical_problems) is a hardware failure that was caused due to over-heating. When the 360 released and up to only a few months ago, this was a huge problem for a lot of people who played more than a few hours a week (and also for people who ran the 360 in an entertainment center or somewhere with poor air circulation).

M$ recognized and improved the current 360's, they have new hardware to help avoid the Red Rings. The problem still exists, but no where near as bad as it was. As long as you run your 360 where it can breathe and you aren't playing for 13, 14 hours a day, you have nothing to worry about.

And even if you do get a hardware failure, the return is paid for in complete by Micro$oft to and from, and it's a much faster process than it was during the holidays (I got my 360 sent and back in 10 days).

RE4WiiGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 RE4WiiGirl

The Red Ring Of Death (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_technical_problems) is a hardware failure that was caused due to over-heating. When the 360 released and up to only a few months ago, this was a huge problem for a lot of people who played more than a few hours a week (and also for people who ran the 360 in an entertainment center or somewhere with poor air circulation).

M$ recognized and improved the current 360's, they have new hardware to help avoid the Red Rings. The problem still exists, but no where near as bad as it was. As long as you run your 360 where it can breathe and you aren't playing for 13, 14 hours a day, you have nothing to worry about.

And even if you do get a hardware failure, the return is paid for in complete by Micro$oft to and from, and it's a much faster process than it was during the holidays (I got my 360 sent and back in 10 days).

Pyrostar9

From Wiki Link:

It should be noted that the warranty that Microsoft currently extended to three years, only covers the red ring problem that many consoles have and do continue to experience. Any other problems are not covered under the three year extended warranty that Microsoft passed last year. This information is directly from Microsoft. For $99, the company will fix any problem outside of this and the warranty on this will be three months. After that, customers will continue to have to pay $99 each time they have a problem or purchase an entirely new system.

I cant believe they mkae you pay that much to fix something they did, or you may even have to buy a new one, which could have the same problems...
Why wouldnt a warranty cover everything, instead of just one thing? This is so bs... how do you guys deal with it?!