deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#1 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I discovered this on Geek.com (via Kotaku).

Apparently development on Phantom Dust - the XBO remake of the original XBOX game, is still well underway. Gameplay footage was leaked showing the game in its current state, with two players going through an entire 1-on-1 multiplayer match.

This news comes after developer Darkside Studios closed down. According to the Geek.com article, Darkside was tasked with recreating 70% of the original game, and then creating 30% brand new content for the game. It is unclear just how far along development was on the new Phantom Dust game, though if this video is any proof they had made a decent amount of progress.

Personally I'm really looking forward to this game. I never owned the original XBOX, and there were very few games on that system that really stood out to me, but Phantom Dust probably would have been one of those games had I known about it. It seems like a good move for Microsoft to revitalize this IP on the XBO. But I wonder why Microsoft closed down Darkside, and I hope it won't negatively impact the quality of the final release of the game.

Thoughts?

~ Ovirew

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56097 Posts

Is this game still coming out? I hope so.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I own two copies of the original and two Xboxes, but the best way to play Phantom Dust was 4 player MP. The Single Player of the original was terrible, but the MP was amazing. It was probably my favorite Xbox game because of the Xbox Live online play. Hopefully this game still comes out and the 4 player mode is in it, because one on one was boring even way back in the Xbox 1 2004-2005 days.

Those revealed graphics are very disappointing even if it was a 360 game, and the devs were making this for Xbone? Maybe that's one of the reasons they lost the deal (I watched the actual video btw). The gameplay seemed about right though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#4 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

Hmm well hopefully they developed most of that 30% new content for the single-player, then. Multiplayer is okay and all... But I'd take a game I can play on my own any day than a game that relies on other players to be enjoyable.

@SolidTy said:

The Single Player of the original was terrible, but the MP was amazing.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#5 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

Keeping an eye out for this game, I've heard nothing but good things about the original version, though I've never played it. Looks cool.

Avatar image for JayQproductions
JayQproductions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 JayQproductions
Member since 2007 • 1806 Posts

No wonder the developer got fired and the game is getting re-worked, that looked incredibly dull and boring.