MGSV: Ground Zeroes. Totally worth it!!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GuitarSmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 GuitarSmash
Member since 2013 • 274 Posts

Yes, I know the game has received a lot of negative criticism for its length and I even completed it under 45 minutes. But there is so much replay ability and the AI has to be some of the most advance I've seen in quite a while... (We're looking at you Metro Last Light.... >_>)

If you a hardcore Metal Gear Solid fan, it is definitely worth it because you can spend hours trying to stealth a mission without being caught with reflex mode off. The controls were very responsive and well mapped out as well.

I don't know about you guys but this has me really excited for the Phantom Pain! If you want linear, scripted gameplay, STAY AWAY!!! It was clearly meant to be played multiple times over!

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11281 Posts

Of course its worth it, its Metal Gear. Better to play a 10/10 game for 2 hours than a 5/10 game for 20 hours in my opinion.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Don't have access to the game in Australia yet, but definitely excited for this. Phantom Pain should get 10/10.

KingJuggaNott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 KingJuggaNott
Member since 2013 • 200 Posts

Kinda feels like they drop you on the map and want you to complete a mission, and you're free to do the mission however you please. Cool game. I Played it last night a little before I got sleepy--I plan on ending it this weekend or something. I'm not a big fan of the Metal Gear Series--just a fan of good games, I enjoyed the little that I did play.

DarthGumballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DarthGumballs
Member since 2013 • 226 Posts

meh, I'll stick to Call of Duty and Titanfall.

KingJuggaNott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 KingJuggaNott
Member since 2013 • 200 Posts

@darthgumballs ain't nothing wrong with that. To be honest, you can totally NOT play it and you'll be fine. Honestly, I had the in-store credit and nothing is coming out soon that I would want to play besides it. So I just got it. Nice game, seems like a teaser to the next one. I looked at it like this--I can't always have time to get into a match of my other games that I'm heavily invested. It's a game where you can fool around with and enjoy yourself without playing an arcade game.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

i rent it and i finish it after two hours i hope the final MGS5 its better

gagit811

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By gagit811
Member since 2005 • 3632 Posts

So far I'm not too compelled by the game. I played for a bit and go bored and turned it off. The control for me is just awkward, the action button is Y and the crouch/prone button is A. If you want to interrogate someone, you have to grab them by holding RT. from there while holding RT you can interrogate, put to sleep or kill. You use the RS while still holding RT to select what you want to do. Now select interrogate with LB while still holding RT and LB. Now from there you can select with the RS for them to call out or get info. From there once you've got all the info you want "remember you are still holding RT/LB" you release LB and select interrogate, put to sleep or kill while still holding RT.

Sound complicated? It's like finger origami, just to point out if at any point of that sequence of button holding that you accidentally release RT the guy will attack you call out for help. In practice you will just get it, but this game which I've yet to explore fully has overly complicated controls. It lacks a wall hug which has been in games forever. You can peek over a wall, but not around corners? I was found more then a few times because you can't peek around a corner in a wall hug. Edit: you can wall hug and peek around corners, for whatever reason it wasn't working for me at first.

gagit811

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 gagit811

I beat the game in 1 hour, those claims it would take 2 hours were far generous. If there was ever a game worth playing but not buying its this. This game at $15 is fair, but I feel ripped off for the $30 I paid. What sucks even more is I bought it digitally because my Walmart didn't have them. I can't even sell it and get some of my money back. I put a strong rent do not buy on this, not worth paying for.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#10 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

Totally worth it? Still? What are you suggesting, exactly?

a55a55inx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#11  Edited By a55a55inx
Member since 2004 • 4188 Posts

That's good to hear. Metal Gear Solid was my favorite game series of all time (during the PS era)...but I recently went back and played MGS3 (in preparation for Ground Zeroes) and forgot how terrible the controls were. It kind of turned me off from Ground Zeroes. I hope the controls are a lot better this time.

EDIT: I just bought this game on my PS4 (purchased it on there instead of XB1 because I got $10 off) and played through the whole mission in 90 minutes, even when I did quite a bit of exploring. Even with the $10 off, I still feel ripped off. The gameplay is great, controls are way better than before, graphics are awesome and the cut-scenes are top notch, however, it just feels like another demo. In my opinion, the game should be no more than $10. You can get a lot out of it, if you're a completion-ist, but the average gamer will be very disappointed. I recommend to anyone that hasn't purchased this yet, to not do it until the price goes down, or to just rent it.

quatoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#13  Edited By quatoe
Member since 2005 • 7242 Posts
@gagit811 said:

So far I'm not too compelled by the game. I played for a bit and go bored and turned it off. The control for me is just awkward, the action button is Y and the crouch/prone button is A. If you want to interrogate someone, you have to grab them by holding RT. from there while holding RT you can interrogate, put to sleep or kill. You use the RS while still holding RT to select what you want to do. Now select interrogate with LB while still holding RT and LB. Now from there you can select with the RS for them to call out or get info. From there once you've got all the info you want "remember you are still holding RT/LB" you release LB and select interrogate, put to sleep or kill while still holding RT.

Sound complicated? It's like finger origami, just to point out if at any point of that sequence of button holding that you accidentally release RT the guy will attack you call out for help. In practice you will just get it, but this game which I've yet to explore fully has overly complicated controls. It lacks a wall hug which has been in games forever. You can peek over a wall, but not around corners? I was found more then a few times because you can't peek around a corner in a wall hug. Edit: you can wall hug and peek around corners, for whatever reason it wasn't working for me at first.

Once you have them in interrogation mode you can let go of RT, I tried just to see and all I have to do is hold RB while interrogating the soldiers. I never had to continuously hold RT after I got them to the ground. It could be a glitch for me, who knows haha.

gagit811

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 gagit811

@quatoe: I made that post and haste, I hadn't spent much time playing. I'm used to the controls now and they do t seem so bad. I will say having the action button Y is just backwards to most games out there. You press Y to jump/climb and A to crouch/prone. Most games would have A to jump/climb and B to crouch/prone. More then a few times I was hanging on a ledge pressed A to climb up and dropped down. Over all the controls aren't so bad, but they're not were you'd expect.

kemar7856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 kemar7856
Member since 2004 • 11783 Posts

i'm going to wait until its under $20

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 cyloninside
Member since 2014 • 815 Posts

not totally worth it. complete joke at the price point they want you to pay. it should be 15-20 dollars max.

quatoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#17  Edited By quatoe
Member since 2005 • 7242 Posts

@gagit811:I definitely agree. On many occasion I fell while holding a ledge from pressing the A button. Takes a while to get used to haha. Especially when the typical crouch/prone is the B button like you said, took me 3-4 days to fully get used to it.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

@kemar7856 said:

i'm going to wait until its under $20

Off Topic: Your signature is awesome and that guy is so clever. He's meant to be depicting that funny gif with Antonio Banderas and Joel from the Last of Us right? I would of never thought of doing that at the heat of the moment.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3700 Posts

Never liked MGS games, but $30 for a >2hr game sets a bad precedent imo

BiggChonies882

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BiggChonies882
Member since 2012 • 126 Posts

@vl4d_l3nin
said:

Never liked MGS games, but $30 for a >2hr game sets a bad precedent imo

You set a bad precedent. Nobody talks about the quality of the game. All they talk about is the 2 Hour thing. I paid $60 for Titanfall and played 12 rounds, got bored, never touched it again. So thankful MGS came around to save me. Already logged in 25+ hours.

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#21 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts

That "replayability" is just padding. They're just side mission with no where near the level of depth and interest as the main mission, which is saying a lot since that was only about an hour long.

I could make the argument that Ground Zeroes is a good game, I sorta do believe that. But the same time I'm not going to fool myself to the point of recommending an over priced game to other people. Dead Rising: Case Zero served the same exact purpose that Ground Zeroes does but Capcom only charged five dollars for it.

I think you should probably wait till it's ten dollars