Is Kinect getting more support in the future?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

peruwolf93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By peruwolf93
Member since 2010 • 110 Posts

I might get myself an xbox one soon because I always wanted to try Halo and I think this is a good time to get one because the collection is out now and Halo 5 is coming next year.

Unlike most people, one of the things that appealed to me the most about the xbone was the Kinect, but I'm concerned it's no longer part of Microsoft "vision" for the xbox. Please tell me if it's worth it or should I save myself $100. I would also like to know what are the chances a slim Xbox comes out next year because I like having the latest and greatest.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Some support, but not much. Once the Kinectless Xbone SKU was unveiled, it segmented the market but also sold more Xbones. It saved the Xbone from possibly sinking due to the high price, but at the cost of throwing the Kinect overboard into the ocean, to save the USS Xbone.

As a result of a fragmented market, 3rd parties aren't going to concentrate on a peripheral that not every Xbone owner has access too. The money is in making games for EVERY XBONE OWNER. Some devs may throw Kinect an x-bone so to speak, but ultimately it's not a priority item to support for either Xbox 1st party or 3rd parties.

You already know the answer if you look back at Kinect for 360.

As far as Kinect goes, I own one for my Xbone. You can turn the Xbone on and off and navigate around with your voice, much like a Tablet or Smartphone. Is that worth $100 to you? I don't think it is, especially since my 7.1 surround sound system makes voice pointless anyways. Kinect can't hear me over my sound system. A supposed media hub that wants you to use voice, but your media hub has a killer sound system? Pointless. Besides, you can navigate with the controller which is what I do and I own a Kinect. Kinect voice doesn't even work all the time anyways, even when it's quiet. I have to say Xbox On like 4 times on some days and I could have just used the controller to flip it on. Then, once I'm in a game, my sound system is so loud and awesome (I spent $1000's on it, so it better be), Kinect becomes pointless.

When M$ decided to drop Kinect in lieu of a lower priced Xbone, it wasn't good for the tiny fanbase of Kinect gamers desiring widespread support. Widespread support was killed off. The idea of making a Kinect required game became a risky proposition to gaming publishers. There's always the dancing/fitness market though. Some niche titles as well (some like D4 were in development before Kinectless Sku was revealed).

Sure, there will be the occassional games that release that work with or with out Kinect, sporting some gimmicky features, which you saw on 360.

I should sell my Xbone Kinect for $50 bucks or something while the gettin's good and there are still people that don't have an Xbone yet to know the ins and outs of Kinect.

BusterFriendly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 BusterFriendly
Member since 2014 • 242 Posts

Kinect these days isn't really intended as a game controller so big budget game support aren't really an issue. The main reason to get it is voice, IR blaster to control your TV and audio system, and location smart video and audio for video calling. As far as games, you'll see novelty games just like the old one. I've been meaning to look at the app API to see if you can access the Kinect. I can think of a number of things I'd like to try.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#4 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

I'm a big Kinect supporter and I won't go into the reasons for that here, I think the kind of support it will get depends on how well Kinect games sold this year, in part. I don't think Kinect Rivals sold very well but I know that Fantasia game and Dance central spotlight got solid reviews overall, though again I have not followed their sales.

I seriously doubt Miscrosoft will abandon Kinect next year, it's way too early and I feel the Xbox One is just geting started now. Year 1 almost does not count to be honest, so next year will probably be the deciding factor on what direction they will take with Kinect in 2016. They just recently started selling Kinect on its own, and they will likely follow its reception closely, as a standalone product its sales performace may be easier to gauge by MS.

If you are worried about MS dropping support for Kinect in 2015, my opinion is that this would be premature. After that, who knows. Is it still part of their vision now, I believe so, the company made numerous statements in the summer re-affirming this, and although perhaps in the minority, there are a lot of Kinect supporters out there, so they have to be careful not to alienate those people who believed in it from day 1....for how much longer it will be supported as it is now , at this point even some highly-paid analysts could probably only venture a guess....good luck with your decision!

doubalfa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 29

#5 doubalfa
Member since 2006 • 7108 Posts

Kinect games were actually few and far between (that I can recall;Fighter within,Justa Dance, Kinect Sports Rivals, Fantasia Music Evolved, Dance Central Spotlight, D4, shape up, and a bunch of smaller features for "common" games) I'm actually wondering which direction is the "platform" (kinect) going, as a companion peripheral it works really good with the current XO interface, and since it was a must with the first wave of consoles I wouldn't mind if there were collections of 360's kinect games for the Xbox One (games like The Gunstringer, Dance Central, Fable the Journey, etc.)

a55a55inx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#6 a55a55inx
Member since 2004 • 4188 Posts

There aren't a lot of games for Kinect (now or the foreseeable future), but I see the peripheral as more of a convenience than a gaming device. It just makes navigating around the xbone easier, because the menu structure is pretty difficult to navigate through with just a controller.

peruwolf93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 peruwolf93
Member since 2010 • 110 Posts

Thank you all for the wise input. I think I'll get the Kinect because without it it's just like my PS4 (which I love but there is no point in having 2 similar consoles)

BusterFriendly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By BusterFriendly
Member since 2014 • 242 Posts

It's not the same without a Kinect because it also has the HDMI input and the hypervisor allowing you to do things in parallel. For example you don't have to stop playing a game to cut a video of it. You can also snap up apps that are active while the game is running. I use that a lot to pop up the NFL scores or bring up the current TV video on the side panel to see if a broadcast game got interesting. Machinima is cool letting you pull up help videos for the game you're playing. Then of course there's smartglass which lets you interface with the Xbox on any phone, tablet, or Windows 8 computer.