Installing aftermarket hard drive to 4gb xbox 360?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ladigj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Ladigj
Member since 2010 • 50 Posts
The only kinect bundle that I can seem to find anywhere is the 4gb this christmas, but I do like the matte finish on it. If I bought the 4gb for $299 and then bought; http://cgi.ebay.com/250GB-Internal-Hard-Drive-Disk-HDD-Xbox-360-Slim-US-/180597682310?pt=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item2a0c75f086 (250gb harddrive - $70) would I be restricted from anything that a 250gb xbox could do? Thanks, J.
florbastang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 florbastang
Member since 2010 • 33 Posts

The only kinect bundle that I can seem to find anywhere is the 4gb this christmas, but I do like the matte finish on it. If I bought the 4gb for $299 and then bought; http://cgi.ebay.com/250GB-Internal-Hard-Drive-Disk-HDD-Xbox-360-Slim-US-/180597682310?pt=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item2a0c75f086 (250gb harddrive - $70) would I be restricted from anything that a 250gb xbox could do? Thanks, J.Ladigj

That hard drive will work. It's obviously not official as you realize; rather, it's made through a "hack" method whereby they they "flash" a laptop hard drive using the firmware ripped from an official MS one. This technically violates the 360's terms of service, and MS undoubtedly does not approve of this. They could possibly ban your console from Xbox Live and disable the hard drive from installing games on it. Although it's recognized as an official MS drive (it has the exact firmware as an official one), the fact that it's among 100,000 others with the same exact serial number (all using the same "flash") is a tip to them it's an unofficial one. However, I'd say it's far more likely they do nothing about it than they ban tens of thousands of 360 owners who have used these hard drives. You'd *probably* be safe.

I'm in the exact situation. My parents picked up a $199 holiday bundle with the 4 GB model. I obviously want a HDD, and am considering having them return it for the bigger 250GB model. I considered just getting a generic HDD and saving $30 or so, but I'm not much of a risk taker. Even though the liklihood of a ban is probably pretty remote, I don't think I want that possibility hanging over me always wondering if my console has been banned every time I turn it on.

At the same time, I'm concerned I won't be able to find a 250GB bundle, especially the holiday bundle with the two games...

Here's hoping...

Ladigj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Ladigj
Member since 2010 • 50 Posts
Now I'm worried..don't think I should buy that third-party harddrive..
florbastang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 florbastang
Member since 2010 • 33 Posts

Now I'm worried..don't think I should buy that third-party harddrive..Ladigj

You'd most likely be fine, but there's always that looming possibility you won't. Otherwise, the only other option you have (if you want a HDD) is to buy it separately for $130. I don't think they make a Kinect model other than the 4 GB.

Honestly, I'd just go with a 250 GB model and get Kinect down the road. If the Wii is any model for what the Kinect will be like, it's going to be utter trash for quite a while with nothing but quick, crappy, gimmicky shovelware until a decent developer can come along and make something good. I wouldn't get sucked into any new technology like this so quickly, especially since it could possibly go nowhere. Just look at the whole camera thing the PS2 and PS3 had. You can always add Kinect later, and it'd only cost you a tiny bit more than it would cost you to add a HDD. Personally, I'd go with the bigger HDD now and the Kinect later, and get the thing that's going to have more immediate use. I wouldn't be surprised if we're looking to wait a whole year before any decent Kinect games start coming out.

penpusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 penpusher
Member since 2004 • 3573 Posts
Now I'm worried..don't think I should buy that third-party harddrive..Ladigj
if its third party then no, it'll work but MS will lock your console and possibly gamertag at some point
coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

Just buy a used 60, 120, or 250GB 360 drive and use it. Take it out of it's case and plug it into the Slim. That way it's an official MS product and you are unlikely to be banned for it.

l0ve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#7 l0ve
Member since 2005 • 3178 Posts

Here is a link to a youtube video showing how to install an old xbox 360 hard drive into a new slim. I would also recommend wrapping it in some thin foam for a better fit. Its also perfectly legal.