How to connect to XBL Wirelessly?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ash_godinho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ash_godinho
Member since 2007 • 50 Posts
Hey Guys.
Do you need to have the Xbox 360 Wireless Adapter from Microsoft if you want to get Live wirelessly?
I have a router and a connection but it is not close to my 360.

I have a Linksys adapter that i plug into my other PC's to give them internet. Can I use this to give my 360 internet. This is the adapter i currently use:

http://www.hardwarebolt.hu/termekek/halozati-eszkozok/images/linksys-wireless-gs-usb-adapter-kep-1-middle.jpg

Thanks in adavnce!
JohnWinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 JohnWinger
Member since 2007 • 1903 Posts

Hey Guys.
Do you need to have the Xbox 360 Wireless Adapter from Microsoft if you want to get Live wirelessly?

I have a Linksys adapter that i plug into my other PC's to give them internet. Can I use this to give my 360 internet. This is the adapter i currently use:

http://www.hardwarebolt.hu/termekek/halozati-eszkozok/images/linksys-wireless-gs-usb-adapter-kep-1-middle.jpg

Thanks in adavnce!
ash_godinho

No you don't need the wireless network adapter. You simply mod your 360 controller into a network adapter and it will work like a charm.

Given the parts and labor to make the conversion it will come to about $245+

I can do it for $190

Or

Go to Best Buy and buy a wirless network adapter for $100.

Avatar image for cookendorfernic
cookendorfernic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 cookendorfernic
Member since 2005 • 311 Posts
Hey Guys.

Thanks in adavnce!
ash_godinho
I've heard stories of it working. I personally have the wireless adapter for the 360. But my mom on the other hand does not. She has a brand new linksys gaming adapter. I worked for 3 hours to get it to work. It works fine for anything, computer, xbox, playstation...etc. But DOES NOT work with the 360. Don't know why. But yeah I work in IT and i couldn't get it to work. She bought a wireless adapter for the 360. Issue is resolved. Bada Bing Bada Boom.
cookendorfernic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 cookendorfernic

[QUOTE="ash_godinho"]Hey Guys.

Thanks in adavnce!
JohnWinger

No you don't need the wireless network adapter. You simply mod your 360 controller into a network adapter and it will work like a charm.

Given the parts and labor to make the conversion it will come to about $245+

I can do it for $190

Or

Go to Best Buy and buy a wirless network adapter for $100.

This could seriously be the most useless thing ever. Who would mod a controller for $200 when you can buy the right hardware for $100????????????????????
WillT12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 WillT12345
Member since 2004 • 3123 Posts
Linksys make an adaptor that works with the 360. Search google for "Linksys gaming adapter" and read up. Its up there in price too though so you might as well just get the offical sh*t.
ash_godinho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ash_godinho
[QUOTE="ash_godinho"]Hey Guys.

Thanks in adavnce!
cookendorfernic
I've heard stories of it working. I personally have the wireless adapter for the 360. But my mom on the other hand does not. She has a brand new linksys gaming adapter. I worked for 3 hours to get it to work. It works fine for anything, computer, xbox, playstation...etc. But DOES NOT work with the 360. Don't know why. But yeah I work in IT and i couldn't get it to work. She bought a wireless adapter for the 360. Issue is resolved. Bada Bing Bada Boom.

So basically, I HAVE to pay $100 to get XBL. It sucks then, cause if your 360 is near your router, you just conect it straght with a ethrenet cord and no $100 crap.
Raz0redge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Raz0redge
Member since 2004 • 1796 Posts
You don't have to buy the XBOX Network adapter which is a USB device. Look into Wireless Ethernet Bridges (I use the original XBOX adapter) which can be had for about $25 or so. You plug this into the Ethernet port of the 360 and you'll be wireless.
cookendorfernic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 cookendorfernic
That or you can move you're xbox or router to make them closer. Your choice. But I'd just buy the adapter. It works flawlessly.
cookendorfernic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 cookendorfernic
You don't have to buy the XBOX Network adapter which is a USB device. Look into Wireless Ethernet Bridges (I use the original XBOX adapter) which can be had for about $25 or so. You plug this into the Ethernet port of the 360 and you'll be wireless.Raz0redge
I would research this more before trying. I don't know anything about this.
WillT12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 WillT12345
[QUOTE="cookendorfernic"][QUOTE="ash_godinho"]Hey Guys.

Thanks in adavnce!
ash_godinho

So basically, I HAVE to pay $100 to get XBL. It sucks then, cause if your 360 is near your router, you just conect it straght with a ethrenet cord and no $100 crap.

Yeah damn them for giving you the option to buy. It should of been included with the price of the 360 and been ramped down the throats of people that didn't need it.
cookendorfernic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 cookendorfernic
[QUOTE="Raz0redge"]You don't have to buy the XBOX Network adapter which is a USB device. Look into Wireless Ethernet Bridges (I use the original XBOX adapter) which can be had for about $25 or so. You plug this into the Ethernet port of the 360 and you'll be wireless.cookendorfernic

I tried using another router as a passthrough device for the 360 and this did not work, although it worked fine on my desktop..
ash_godinho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ash_godinho
[QUOTE="ash_godinho"][QUOTE="cookendorfernic"][QUOTE="ash_godinho"]Hey Guys.

Thanks in adavnce!
WillT12345

Yeah damn them for giving you the option to buy. It should of been included with the price of the 360 and been ramped down the throats of people that didn't need it.

Im just saying, because I dont have my 360 and router close together, i need to pay 100 bucks more.
WillT12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 WillT12345
[QUOTE="cookendorfernic"][QUOTE="Raz0redge"]You don't have to buy the XBOX Network adapter which is a USB device. Look into Wireless Ethernet Bridges (I use the original XBOX adapter) which can be had for about $25 or so. You plug this into the Ethernet port of the 360 and you'll be wireless.cookendorfernic

I tried using another router as a passthrough device for the 360 and this did not work, although it worked fine on my desktop..

My brother uses the set up that razor is talking about and it works fine. Its a wirless connection but according to the 360 it thinks it is a wired connection. He uses the cheap wirless B gaming adapter made by linksys.
cookendorfernic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 cookendorfernic
[QUOTE="cookendorfernic"][QUOTE="cookendorfernic"][QUOTE="Raz0redge"]You don't have to buy the XBOX Network adapter which is a USB device. Look into Wireless Ethernet Bridges (I use the original XBOX adapter) which can be had for about $25 or so. You plug this into the Ethernet port of the 360 and you'll be wireless.WillT12345

My brother uses the set up that razor is talking about and it works fine. Its a wirless connection but according to the 360 it thinks it is a wired connection. He uses the cheap wirless B gaming adapter made by linksys.

Sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt. It depends on the model of the gaming adapter. My mom has the new wireless g with speedbooster and it does not work. So if you could post the model for him im sure that would help. My moms is WGA54GS.
WillT12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 WillT12345
[QUOTE="WillT12345"][QUOTE="ash_godinho"][QUOTE="cookendorfernic"][QUOTE="ash_godinho"]Hey Guys.

Thanks in adavnce!
ash_godinho

Im just saying, because I dont have my 360 and router close together, i need to pay 100 bucks more.

Yeah, pretty much. It would make no sense for them to include it in the package thus making the package more expensive for everyone, just to save a select group of people from going to the store and picking up a wirless adapter.
Raz0redge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Raz0redge
Member since 2004 • 1796 Posts
I'm currently using the original XBOX adapter which shows up as a Wired Ethernet Bridge. My friend is using a generic Ethernet Bridge and has no issues. If you want to save the hassle of finding/using these devices, you can always opt for the $100 360 Network Adapter which is definitely going to work..
WillT12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 WillT12345
[QUOTE="WillT12345"][QUOTE="cookendorfernic"][QUOTE="cookendorfernic"][QUOTE="Raz0redge"]You don't have to buy the XBOX Network adapter which is a USB device. Look into Wireless Ethernet Bridges (I use the original XBOX adapter) which can be had for about $25 or so. You plug this into the Ethernet port of the 360 and you'll be wireless.cookendorfernic

Sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt. It depends on the model of the gaming adapter. My mom has the new wireless g with speedbooster and it does not work. So if you could post the model for him im sure that would help. My moms is WGA54GS.

Can't be possitive cause it looks like that model but is was bought over a year ago. Eigther way I just saw the prices listed on the net and you might as well go with the MS one. I could of sworn that when he picked it up he didn't spend more than 50 bucks. But all the models on the net are around 90 to 100.
tatu2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 tatu2004
Member since 2004 • 17173 Posts

Hey Guys.

Thanks in adavnce!
ash_godinho

this site may help you www.xboxlivetheguide.co.uk

ash_godinho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ash_godinho
Thanks for evereyone help. Why is the 360 adapter and the original xbox adapter the same price!