How reliable are Xbox 360 repairs?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NicAgent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 0

#1 NicAgent
Member since 2005 • 4693 Posts
Getting my xbox 360 back tomorrow that got the 1 red light E74 error. Since this is a much less common error than the RROD you think my 360 was repaired successfully or am I going to open it tomorrow to the same exact brick I sent to M$ two weeks ago?
ramulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 ramulux
Member since 2004 • 2253 Posts
no you send it away to get fixed not to get broken more, thats usually why you send it away TO FIX IT!
NicAgent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 NicAgent
no you send it away to get fixed not to get broken more, thats usually why you send it away TO FIX IT!ramulux
yeah true and im told that the 360s are thoroughly checked after repairs to make sure they are functional but who knows what the people there might do wrong... everyone makes mistakes
LeviLRP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 LeviLRP
Member since 2008 • 751 Posts
Most likely you are getting a refurbished one back. A refurbished console is just a console that they fixed what was wrong with it and nothing more.
LeviLRP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 LeviLRP

[QUOTE="ramulux"]no you send it away to get fixed not to get broken more, thats usually why you send it away TO FIX IT!NicAgent
yeah true and im told that the 360s are thoroughly checked after repairs to make sure they are functional but who knows what the people there might do wrong... everyone makes mistakes

I am pretty sure they make sure they are working, but who knows what is going bad on the system and they don't fix it unless it is already bad.

NicAgent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 NicAgent
Most likely you are getting a refurbished one back. A refurbished console is just a console that they fixed what was wrong with it and nothing more.LeviLRP
I called and they said I am getting my original console back repaired...
LeviLRP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LeviLRP

[QUOTE="LeviLRP"]Most likely you are getting a refurbished one back. A refurbished console is just a console that they fixed what was wrong with it and nothing more.NicAgent

Well never mind then. You still don't know what is going bad on it and they will not fix it unless it is already bad. So if you get it back and something is about to break they will not have fixed that.

NicAgent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 NicAgent
Well it was the E74 error (look it up if you don't know I'm tired of explaining it to everyone) - its basically a failure of the GPU. There was nothing wrong with anything else (i.e. scratched disks, HDD, etc) so I'm guessing I should be fine as long as they addressed the E74.
kyletoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 kyletoker
Member since 2007 • 483 Posts
Getting my xbox 360 back tomorrow that got the 1 red light E74 error. Since this is a much less common error than the RROD you think my 360 was repaired successfully or am I going to open it tomorrow to the same exact brick I sent to M$ two weeks ago?NicAgent
it will work but chances are it will break again...
Dvorack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Dvorack
Member since 2007 • 228 Posts
My console got the Green Screen of Death - no red lights so i had to pay for the repair. Ive sent it, paid, had to wait 5 weeks and what did i get? a broken f****ing console that wouldnt even start. So i think im allowed to say that my experience with the repair centre was c***p. You never know what ur gonna get.
Avatar image for deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
deactivated-57af49c27f4e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#11 deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
Member since 2005 • 14149 Posts
the repairs used to blow, you sent in a 360 with crappy broken hardware and you'd get back a 360 with new crappy hardware. they are finally changing what they put inside these things, about 3 years too late.
Avatar image for seventy5cent832
seventy5cent832

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 seventy5cent832
Member since 2007 • 1057 Posts
i got the E74 one and it came back fixed and fine, my same one not a refurbished, its worked fine from there. i dont think they come back still broken
NicAgent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 NicAgent
i got the E74 one and it came back fixed and fine, my same one not a refurbished, its worked fine from there. i dont think they come back still brokenseventy5cent832
well same deal for me so i guess it will be fine E74s cant be caused by a faulty A/V cable can they? if so i'd shoot myself in the face finding out that that's all i needed to do instead of the entire $102 and 3 week ordeal i put my 360 through for it
armylad1509

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14 armylad1509
Member since 2006 • 232 Posts

I just bought a refurbished 360 about a week ago and the day i got it i got the 3 red light error. Instead of sending it back for a refund (because ive been waiting for a 360 for a while and i dont wanna wait a month and some change), i took the initiative and tried to repair it myself. To be honest, its not that hard to fix and its 90 to about 95% guaranteed to work the first time if you followed the steps exactly. I already bought the kit and am awaiting it to arrive this week. Ill keep you posted with the results which will be around this week

gamer082009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 gamer082009
Member since 2007 • 6679 Posts
[QUOTE="LeviLRP"]Most likely you are getting a refurbished one back. A refurbished console is just a console that they fixed what was wrong with it and nothing more.NicAgent

Well good for you, don't worry about it. At least they'll repair it with the newest reliable parts. Like the chip and stuff, so you'll be good to go.
73X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 73X
Member since 2008 • 1545 Posts

I've sent mine back twice now. They fixed it both times (well, I guess they didn't do too great of a job the first time...) but the second time I received my console it had chocolate all over it. No lie.

armylad1509

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17 armylad1509
Member since 2006 • 232 Posts
@gamer082009, That sounds good, but keep in mind that there is no 100% guarantee that your 360 will work when it returns from Microsoft. I've heard that from sources that they really dont do a good job from it. Thats what prompted me to make the decision from repair my 360 and i think this way is the better and more cost effective way. I bought all the supplies for like 10 bucks. and all you may have to do is just apply a new coat of thermal paste to the CPU, GPU and heat syncs on your unit

ElleyGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ElleyGirl
Member since 2009 • 38 Posts

Its impossible to say really. It all depends on whether they ACTUALLY replaced the GPU or just patched it up to work a little while longer.

As for fixing it yourself - this works for awhile but is not a permanent fix as I myself found out. Basically the excess heat causes the GPU to get hairline cracks in it (that cannot be seen from the outside), new thermal paste etc can keep it going for awhile but eventually its going to crack so much it doesn't work anymore.

After 4 replacement/repairs and one self repair (out of warranty) I ended up hunting high and low for a new Jasper just when they came out and it has been fine since. I made sure to buy from a vendor that would offer me a 3yr warranty on everything tho.

ElleyGirl

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

I've always wondered that too. I've had two repaired. First one they fixed, second one they gave me a refurbished one. First model always ran hot, but my second one (even the replacement) has a crappy DVD drive. Now if I only I could merge the pros of both into one console. :(

They only gave me a 90 day warranty on the repair so I'm guessing I'll have to call MS to fix it once again after 91 days. :lol: