game installs/downloads take forever?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1 cyloninside
Member since 2014 • 815 Posts

so i havent had my XB1 for long, but the one thing i have noticed is that game installs.... and updates.... take absolutely FOREVER. when i installed ghosts i thought wow this is taking a long time, so i basically timed the install for battlefield 4... one hour and 30 minutes...

i downloaded zoo tycoon. the game is only 7 gigs... took over an hour to download. on my PC i typically download around 4meg/sec when im torrenting or downloading a file. i have a 50meg connection.

i bought dead rising 3 today, the 13 gig update took an hour and a half to download, and the install took atleast an hour...

what in the world is the issue? game installs on my PS4 take 20min MAX, usually a lot less. is there something wrong with my XB1?

gagit811

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 gagit811
Member since 2005 • 3632 Posts

For downloads where you live is a major factor, if you're closer to a server you should get faster download speeds. Downloading for me is relatively quick, now game installs from a disk is a slow crawl. I haven't timed my game installs but I imagine we are so used to buying a game and just playing these installs may seem longer then you think.

I do agree the installs are a major inconvenience, and games have just ballooned in size. Have the devs gotten lazy with streamlining their games or are they just using higher res uncompressed textures. Just today I went to play KI which I haven't done in a while and I had to install a 1gig update, I wanted to play a quick few games but had to wait and never played because of that. I can't recall any game patches on 360 or ps3 being 1gig or more.

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 cyloninside
Member since 2014 • 815 Posts

@gagit811 said:

For downloads where you live is a major factor, if you're closer to a server you should get faster download speeds. Downloading for me is relatively quick, now game installs from a disk is a slow crawl. I haven't timed my game installs but I imagine we are so used to buying a game and just playing these installs may seem longer then you think.

I do agree the installs are a major inconvenience, and games have just ballooned in size. Have the devs gotten lazy with streamlining their games or are they just using higher res uncompressed textures. Just today I went to play KI which I haven't done in a while and I had to install a 1gig update, I wanted to play a quick few games but had to wait and never played because of that. I can't recall any game patches on 360 or ps3 being 1gig or more.

as i said, i have a 50meg connection and typically download around 4meg/sec on my PC. also, i did time battlefield 4. it was about an hour and a half to fully install. that seems completely absurd.

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

Installs do take a long time, there is usually something else I can be doing anyway, but it is something that needs to be corrected.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#5  Edited By sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

It took me over a hour to install Ryse son of rome.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3700 Posts

They're even worse with wireless.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Yeah Installs do take a long time, hopefully it improves over time. Considering physical copies are not using the internet (supposedly) they shouldn't be taking hours.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#8  Edited By sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I hope it gets better